Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Loki said:

They really fucked up the messaging here again.  It's not clear for a lot of people, whether they should go to work tomorrow or not.

Like, if you work as a builder, or a gardener, or a mechanic... can't do those jobs from home, but should you carry on as normal tomorrow?  Listening to Boris, you'd think yes.  But then it's not really a lockdown if 30% of people go to work as normal tomorrow.

They needed to be absolutely crystal clear for once.

Says a lot that this was by far his best statement. The most clear and concise he has been and still leaves more questions.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, seph said:

One run a day. By yourself or with family.

So electronics are deemed as non-essential, even though that will be people's primary social intercourse for the next few months. Good luck everyone.

I work in home insurance. Considering the tantrums we put up with each day from people that have dropped their phone or smashed their TV screen, they're going to go fucking mental now that they can't get a replacement.

3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

This was obviously where we were heading and I'm looking forward to the idiots who wouldn't listen kicking off.

I think it's more likely that these idiots will just organise house parties just to prove a point.

From a 1990 article, a Canadian hockey coach talking about Russian players who’d recently joined the team:

Lopuchin, whose parents were born in the U.S.S.R, said it is difficult for North Americans to comprehend the differences in cultures.

"It's just so different here," he said. "It's tough to explain. You go to a supermarket in the Soviet Union and if you see it, you buy it."

Lopuchin said it took a while for the Soviet players' wives to understand that meat and other groceries are in the stores every day, that there's not going to be a shortage next week.

It’s just bizarre, how quickly the world that I took for granted has ground to a halt. I was very, very secure in the everlasting convenience of all the stuff we had that’s now gone. No reliable online groceries, no 24 hour supermarkets. A book from Amazon takes a week to be delivered now, rather than next day. McDonalds and Greggs are closed. No proper WrestleMania. Toilet paper is a rare commodity. I never expected any of that to happen in my lifetime, and it’s odd to be thinking of those things in comparison to the damage of the virus itself, but I’m just finding it all very surreal.

Sounds awful in the UK and I have sympathy for all members of the UKFF whatever your circumstances are. I was thinking about if I still lived at home with my parents like I was before moving to Vietnam. I'd definitely not get in the car and drive anywhere but i'd likely still sneak out for a quickie walk in the woods and through the local farmland as even in the summer you don't see anyone. I'd probably still gather with 2 or 3 select mates once or twice a week around one guys flat too for a beer but only as I know those guys don't go anywhere. That said going to his means crossing a well known park for youth drinking so I expect i'd be caught fairly sharpish by a police patrol.

On the other side of the world, things looked to have clearly slowed down where I live in Vietnam, it's Tuesday morning right now and it's silent outside which is rare. Have to say i'm enjoying the peace. Get out of quarantine on Friday so will have a drive around but apart from doing a food run i'm going to stay in the complex I live as there's a gym, pool and restaurants so the need to go far isn't an issue. The only issues i've got are really if i'll get any anti-foreigner sentiment in the shop and if the local government bods will remember or "forget" to bring the release paper on Friday morning. Honestly at this point I would simply relish the opportunity to walk up my hallway to the window on the other side of the building and back for a change of scenery. 

Decided against the half hearted self isolation/ restriced contact hunter gatherer approach before the announcement was made so I'll be staying in work. A woman complaining about her M&S garmemt arriving late and a different woman opening her door whilst coughing on to me before I had chance to dive for cover has me already regretting this.

So, fellow divorced dads, what the fuck do we do? I'm waiting for a slither of hope that I can have some form of contact but it's not likely they'll be able to stay with me is it? The idea I won't be able to see them for that long is killing me. I've never gone more than a few day's without contact their entire lives. They live 16 miles away otherwise we'd have strategic daily exercise meets but unless there's an exception made it looks like my mental health is about to plummet.

• Paid Members

It's pretty chilled in Leicester.  Very quiet. We've been able to get whatever we need from the shops. We stayed away from the big supermarkets and used local corner shops.

Work have said for us to stay at home. Designated keyworkers in our team may be called in when and if required. 

Stay safe people. 

My work is still open, not sure what the deal is yet but I've been asked to go in at 1 as opposed to 9 because I can't be in at the same time as the other guy in my department, not sure when I'll be finishing tonight. Obviously because i'm not needed til one I've been awake since half four. 

My parents still arent taking it as seriously as they should, they went to Currys yesterday to get them to dispose of a TV then went to b&q. Last week they said they were going to get round the"over 70s stay at home" thing by wearing caps and sunglasses (have I mentioned that before?) 

We're halfway through a loft conversion at the moment, luckily there's not a hole in the roof any more but the windows aren't sealed in and there's no walls or doors so the house is freezing with the heating on, the upstairs is basically out of bounds at the moment so the four of us are essentially living downstairs, the mental health impact of this is going to be huge on probably as many people as the physical side of it. I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said and say least we've got a garden so we could have it a lot worse, I feel so sorry for the family's living in flats with no gardens.

10 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

My work is still open, not sure what the deal is yet but I've been asked to go in at 1 as opposed to 9 because I can't be in at the same time as the other guy in my department, not sure when I'll be finishing tonight. Obviously because i'm not needed til one I've been awake since half four. 

I'm in work today too and I feel the whole situation is about as clear as cloudy lemonade. Shitty move to do a late night announcement leaving those who run businesses and go to work with a very short time to formulate a plan.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

I'm in work today too and I feel the whole situation is about as clear as cloudy lemonade. Shitty move to do a late night announcement leaving those who run businesses and go to work with a very short time to formulate a plan.

Don't think they can win on that score. If they gave us notice, everyone would just rush out to the shops before they closed like they did at McDonald's yesterday. We're a nation of morons.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

No more than 2 people together.

You can go for a walk once a day but only 1 person is allowed.

Oh but your entire household can join you.

Lauren Hashian Wtf GIF by swerk

He clearly said a family can be together for walks runs etc.

Don’t group up with your football mates and go for a run or take your family and go hang out In the high street.  Prevent it jumping households 

My sister in law works for a large paint store.... they are open....... give it a few days of sports direct and the like acting like twats and the lockdown will get more severe 

Edited by quote the raven

• Awards Moderator
42 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

We're halfway through a loft conversion at the moment, luckily there's not a hole in the roof any more but the windows aren't sealed in and there's no walls or doors so the house is freezing with the heating on, the upstairs is basically out of bounds at the moment so the four of us are essentially living downstairs, the mental health impact of this is going to be huge on probably as many people as the physical side of it. I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said and say least we've got a garden so we could have it a lot worse, I feel so sorry for the family's living in flats with no gardens.

We’ve got a hole in our roof at the moment! Developed a leak during the storms and have been waiting for the scaffolders to get the permit so the roofers can go up and fix it. The job was estimated to take three weeks, and they started putting the scaffolding up... yesterday. I’m wondering if they’ll be here today or not.

I was going to go for a daily walk while working from home anyway... I know he didn’t explicitly mention walking in his speech, but I’m not getting in trouble if I’m not running or cycling, right? Right? I’ll walk quite quickly if that helps? (Genuine question.)