Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Now added to the BBC story:

He said people should work from home and avoid pubs, club, theatres where possible, as part of a range of stringent new measures.

Anyone in the same house as someone who has a cough or fever will also have to isolate for 14 days, he said.

All elderly and vulnerable people must also begin self-isolating within days.

The first person in Wales to die with Covid-19 brings the UK total to 36.

Again I feel the "where possible" could use some clarifying. Some jobs can't be done from home, but they're not critical jobs like nursing, so is it still up to the employer whether to put their business ahead of their staff? I presume so.

Edited by Uncle Zeb
Formatting's fucked up, can't fix on mobile

• Paid Members

Advising people to stay home/avoid social contact/avoid pubs, clubs, restaurants and theatres, but not banning them from opening, seems like a pretty fucking perfect way to bankrupt thousands of businesses that have no custom but won't be able to claim on insurance.

• Moderators
On 3/14/2020 at 4:05 PM, neil said:

My girlfriends mum _thinks_ she has/had coronavirus as she did had a fever with some lung issues, may have been exposed from some traveling for work. They wouldn't test her because she wasn't "high risk". Problem will be if it truly is corona and spreads to my gf's father, his lungs are fucked at the best of times, this will knock him off for sure.

Looking like this is playing out right now, my girlfriends Dad is now in hospital with breathing issues, hoping they'll actually test him for covid-19. Whats fucked up is that her Mum can't be at the hospital and so no-one knows whats going on. Fucking horrible situation.

6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

FA have just suspended Grassroots football. Makes no sense to me while schools are still open but nothing we can do about it. Like everything else, no detail. So I'm being inundated with people asking if they can still train.

Just been called a snowflake as I dared to question whether we should be playing 7 a side tonight. Time to get new (some) 'mates'

@neil that sounds grim. Best of luck with it

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

FA have just suspended Grassroots football. Makes no sense to me while schools are still open but nothing we can do about it.

My thoughts exactly Rick. It's admirable that the FA are taking precautions, but what good will it do (from a youth football perspective, at least) whilst schools remain open? Half a dozen kids training together out in the open VS 200 kids in a school building.

• Paid Members

Turns out that on day one of the new clear, consistent messaging regime, Boris Johnson fucked up the explanations. The actual advice is:

* Under 70s are advised to avoid social contact and non-essential travel.

* Over 70s, pregnant women and anyone who'd normally get the flu vaccine are strongly advised to avoid social contact. (No explanation of what the difference is.)

* People with serious underlying health conditions (rather than everyone over 70) will soon be advised to self-isolate for 12 weeks.

* If anyone in a house has symptoms, everyone in the house should stay indoors for 14 days, leaving only for exercise (keeping their distance) and avoiding even going to a shop to buy food is possible.

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Universal are going to do VOD releases at the same time as Cinema releases

https://www.slashfilm.com/nbcuniversal-movies-available-on-demand-immediately/

This could be the start of the future of film distribution 

Can't come soon enough. No need to share a dark room with smelly Bas Vegas oiks who can't ignore their phones for a few minutes. 

• Paid Members

Day One of lockdown in Spain. I had never imagined the Apocalypse to consist of so much laying around wanking.

The people here are doing the most beautiful thing. The streets are totally deserted - today I have seen nobody but my flatmate and haven't even seen anyone passing from my window. Complete ghost town. Then, every night at 8pm sharp everyone comes out onto their balconies or stands at their windows and there is a minute's clapping, cheering and shouting words of encouragement. It's as a show of appreciation and solidarity with the health workers on the front lines fighting this, as well as those staffing the supermarkets. 60 seconds of applause and then at 8.01, everyone goes back inside and the city is silent once more. It's the loveliest display of the enduring nature of the human spirit in the face of adversity and I really find it to be the most beautiful, poignant, touching thing. Can't imagine that ever happening back home! Spaniards really are a lovely people.