Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

In slightly more sensible news. I live about 2 hours from my parents who are both in their 70s. I don't want them going out any more than they need to because they both have health issues so am looking at getting them a Hello Fresh subscription. Has anyone used them or something similar. Would you recommend? 

• Paid Members

I thought my area had been mostly unaffected. I don't know anyone who has it or even had symptoms, shops haven't been ransacked yet and no businesses/schools have closed. It just seemed to be business as usual.

Then I got to work this morning and was told we're likely being made redundant by the end of this month.

It's not entirely down to the virus (Brexit uncertainty and the shit weather have a lot to do with it), but it's making me take this thing a shit-ton more seriously now.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

One of my other half's friends works in a hotel, she's self isolated for a week, but nobody would test her. She said she's felt awful. We read an article where a Guy's written a diary of what he went through with it as he's recovered, and she told us they were her symptoms as well. She's getting better now. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, chokeout said:

In slightly more sensible news. I live about 2 hours from my parents who are both in their 70s. I don't want them going out any more than they need to because they both have health issues so am looking at getting them a Hello Fresh subscription. Has anyone used them or something similar. Would you recommend? 

It is a good service but marketed at a certain type of user. Recipes on Hello Fresh and modern and pan-global. If I got my Dad a hello Fresh sub (he's 71) he'd ask where the chips are and what the fuck is galangal? I'd be happy with them but more conservative palates might not be.

I'm projecting based on my dad, but if your parents aren't adventurous with their food perhaps consider a food box rather than a meal box? e.g. Riverford or Abel & Cole.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

There's a farm in Noth Lincolnshire that do a great delivery service with different mix boxes of fruit and vegetables and also options for meat, bread and cakes from their village. They're just on Facebook. Wonder if there's anything like that locally.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

It is a good service but marketed at a certain type of user. Recipes on Hello Fresh and modern and pan-global. If I got my Dad a hello Fresh sub (he's 71) he'd ask where the chips are and what the fuck is galangal? I'd be happy with them but more conservative palates might not be.

I'm projecting based on my dad, but if your parents aren't adventurous with their food perhaps consider a food box rather than a meal box? e.g. Riverford or Abel & Cole.

My dad loves his cooking and will happily make most things. His only limit is vegan food which he still views with suspicion 

• Paid Members

So the government has just announced they advise to avoid all pubs, clubs and any other social venues.

Currently a "breaking" story so more details will appear at the link shortly:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said "everyone" in the UK should now avoid social contact with others and stop non-essential travel to fight coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51917562

I haven't seen the TV briefing, so I'm hoping said details will include contextual definitions of the words "non-essential" and "travel."

As someone who is trying (unsuccessfully so far) to convince family to postpone a gathering (which would involve about 10 people 65+ and probably another 10 or so under that age) I *really* hope they provide more context

So far the (family) line is "if no-one is displaying symptoms and we wash our hands when we arrive it'll be fine!" 🤔

Edited by organizedkaos