Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Very sorry to hear that, Kaz, and sorry to hear about the events company as well (is this the one with Pablo/Paul by any chance?). 

I doubt it'll make you feel better, but I saw you and the 27 Club supporting De La Soul in Gateshead a bunch of years ago and bought your CD. 

In trying times, we can always depend upon the least racist person in the world to use diplomatic terminology.

Screenshot-20200317-091107-2.png

Sorry to hear of your awful news, Kaz.

• Paid Members

@Kaz Hayashi that is awful. But, and not to get all tinfoil hat, you have to wonder if they did need to try and free up beds because of what is happening. I saw some tweets last night from an alleged NHS whistleblower who basically said we don't have enough beds, we don't have enough equipment, we are soon going to be faced with choosing who lives and dies. It is absolute unspeakable that this is the situation we find ourselves in.

In other news, Carphone Warehouse are shutting all their standalone stores in the UK and 2900 jobs set to go because of it.

• Paid Members

O this is priceless, I make the dreaded call to head office, to explain im at risk and wont be coming in for 12 weeks. Only to get the answer phone. I ring my center to be told all of head office are now working from home.

Cant see them having any option but to let me off without pay for the 12 weeks 

Edited as i just saw Kaz post above after i posted mine, awful news man.

Edited by quote the raven

7 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

O this is priceless, I make the dreaded call to head office, to explain im at risk and wont be coming in for 12 weeks. Only to get the answer phone. I ring my center to be told all of head office are now working from home.

Cant see them having any option but to let me off without pay for the 12 weeks 

I assume you can still reach someone by email? Without the same immediacy, granted.

3 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

But because the PM hasn’t ordered them to close (only people not to attend) they can’t claim losses via insurance.

I don't think they can claim losses via insurance anyway. Wouldn't the insurance companies argue this as an act of God, or something similar? 

If they can't, I don't see them paying out for every small business forced to close. How long before the insurance companies run out of funds?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

I don't think they can claim losses via insurance anyway. Wouldn't the insurance companies argue this as an act of God, or something similar? 

If they can't, I don't see them paying out for every small business forced to close. How long before the insurance companies run out of funds?

I would guess the insurance companies base premiums on worst case floods of certain areas or extreme weather in parts, A wide scale shut down payout? If they have to pay it they wont be around long enough for anyone to claim

15 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

I would guess the insurance companies base premiums on worst case floods of certain areas or extreme weather in parts, A wide scale shut down payout? If they have to pay it they wont be around long enough for anyone to claim

This situation is unprecedented, and as such I don't think it would make much difference being able to claim insurance or not. 

Despite the bashing the PM has taken, I'm of the opinion that the government is primarily there to advise on matters such as these. When we cross the line into forcing people to close up businesses it could create other issues.

For example, does anyone think there wouldn't be pubs and dodgy establishments not willing to open doos quietly to customers and charge a premium for booze? It would be similar to the prohibition era in that regard. How do we deal with that? Arrest and imprison those who open their pubs? Or do we go the full hog and arrest those who drink in them as well?

The government banning people from going out, from meeting friends, or from opening businesses makes me uncomfortable. I understand there's a pandemic, but I don't think we should be happy to cower in the corner and hand over all of our freedoms to any government.

If people are sensible and use their common sense then we'll be fine for the most part. 

And no, just because some of us believe the public at large is stupid isn't reason to take away people's rights. 

• Paid Members

Common sense didnt work in france. 

Macron more or less blamed his own people for the lock down. People will continue to put themselves in harms way with the "it wont happen to me" attitude. 

I bet if they put on a league game in football regardless of the state if the virus it would be full up 

7 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Common sense didnt work in france. 

Macron more or less blamed his own people for the lock down. People will continue to put themselves in harms way with the "it wont happen to me" attitude. 

I bet if they put on a league game in football regardless of the state if the virus it would be full up 

Again, how do we want governments to enforce these lockdowns? If someone wants to go out for a walk and meet a group of friends, what happens? Arrest them? Put them in jail? 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

Again, how do we want governments to enforce these lockdowns? If someone wants to go out for a walk and meet a group of friends, what happens? Arrest them? Put them in jail? 

France is fining people 130 euros? If they carry on then i guess yeah they face arrest. Is that right? probably not. Is it last choice to save people from themselves? probably.