Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

The schools around my way are starting to close or partially close. My youngest's primary has sent 3 teachers home who are thought to be "at risk", but my kids class is still going for now. The secondary school my two eldest go to, have closed for years 9 and 10(my middle kid is in this year), but open for years 7,8 and 11(my eldest is in this year) so it's a bit of a mess at the minute...

28 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

A new word for you all to use and enjoy:

"Shemptied" : The act of panic buying too much of a particular item in a supermarket, leading to emptying the shelf of said item. A combination of the words "Shelf" and "Emptied"

Uses:
"I see the bum-roll has been shemptied at Morrisons."
"Quick, you'd better go an buy some more rice from Tesco before it gets shemptied."
"Did you manage to get any staple items whatsoever, or was everything shemptied?"

I'd rather get the virus

4 hours ago, David said:

How do we define "stupid" though? For me, someone who uses a full-stop to end a question is stupid. That's just my opinion though, and I certainly wouldn't hold that against them.

What about the government? Some of the key figures involved there are fucking stupid, aren't they? Yet here we are crying out for them to be handed absolute power to jail people for not staying in their houses.

There's nothing like a crisis and a bit of panic to see people surrender what little rights they have left. All in the name of, what? Some false sense of security? 

Bollocks. 

The government's place is to advise the public on what to do for the most part. If people wish to close their businesses, then fair enough, that's their choice. If pub owners want to stay open that's their call. It's also the call of those who want to go and sit in the pub and drink.

Not everyone has families, friends, internet access and suchlike. Every pub in the land has those guys who's lives revolve around the place. What about them? Is it just a case of "fuck you" and they go home for three months to their shitty flats and sit by themselves? Who cares, right? 

Not for me. As unpopular as it may be, the people still have to bear some of the responsibility for their actions, rather than just shut their eyes and hope the government will make it all go away.

Wrong. Sorry I don't normally flat out disagree with people but I will in this case.

I wouldn't trust the average person to make me a sandwich let alone do what's best for the whole population. There are so many self-obsessed, me-me-me types out there with the attitude of "I won't do what I am told, who do they think they are?" when it comes to taking advice. The "I'm well-hard, fuck the virus" brigade who think their actions won't impact on other people who may be at risk. The average person (in my view) has as much common-sense as a cucumber they need telling what to do because they are stupid and don't think. 

Whilst I agree people can make choices about what they do, they must never impact another person's health nor should they then demand help if their ignorance (or arrogance) leads them to becoming unwell. I don't want to hear people crying out for medical help when they have been idiots and not taken steps to keep themselves (and others) safe. 

The whole attitude of "well I will get a cough so you should man up and stop moaning" is all well and good for those who don't have compromised immune systems but its selfish. If people did what was right - without being forced to - then measures wouldn't need implementing. 

That said I do feel for those that will be financially fucked as a result of this. Its really a shitty position for everyone - whether its old and frail who may get seriously ill or business owners who will be financially screwed by this virus. 

As for the guys who's lives revolve around pubs? Well that's really their doing, its not like they haven't chosen to live a life of sitting on their arse in pubs all day (I have three in my family/friend groups that are like that, I am not meaning to be disrespectful but state fact)

Sorry for the following nonsense post, I'm too angry to write anything remotely serious at the moment. 

It's getting a bit silly here at the top of the M67. The local Tesco has been ransacked of tins, sundries and toilet paper. The other a few miles away become more difficult to access/park.

The local whisperers are now blaming out of towners (Bear in mind I live near League Of Gentlemens very own Royston Vasey.) on the shortages. The local towns supplies are dwindling but hopefully once all the collectors scurry back home they'll be able to replenish and everyone else come out, get what they need whilst with manners and behaving properly.

This is with only 3 confirmed cases and as of yet 0 deaths within a 10 mile radius. I dread to think of how it's going to be in the thick of it. Public transport is still running heavily and no schools have closed here yet. 

Amazingly I struck gold at the local chemist, getting some mega antibacterial cleansing super handwipes for the non astronomical sum of 15p per packet. This now means my already marginal chance of winning the lottery is non existant.

Stay safe out there because it's probably going to get a lot wilder. 

• Awards Moderator

I have no affection for Conservatives but I applaud the announcements today sticking up for small businesses and allowing mortgage breaks for the affected. Exactly right to do this.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

A new word for you all to use and enjoy:

"Shemptied" : The act of panic buying too much of a particular item in a supermarket, leading to emptying the shelf of said item. A combination of the words "Shelf" and "Emptied"

Uses:
"I see the bum-roll has been shemptied at Morrisons."
"Quick, you'd better go an buy some more rice from Tesco before it gets shemptied."
"Did you manage to get any staple items whatsoever, or was everything shemptied?"

The problem with this portmanteau is that it doesn't give you any additional information, so it's completely redundant. You can just use the word emptied in all of those examples. If anything you need to combine a word that gives the context of the panic buying nature of it...

• Paid Members

Say what you want about Boris and the cabinet, but he seems to have found the Magical Money Forest

@Onyx2 What about renters? Also, business rates are to be frozen, but it needs more then that. And a loan will only work if those businesses will get back on track after the event.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

19 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Whilst I agree people can make choices about what they do, they must never impact another person's health nor should they then demand help if their ignorance (or arrogance) leads them to becoming unwell. I don't want to hear people crying out for medical help when they have been idiots and not taken steps to keep themselves (and others) safe. 

Does that apply to those who drink alcohol, smoke, take any kind of drugs and so forth? As a society there's much that we do that impacts on the health and quality of life of those around us. Where do you draw the line?

21 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I wouldn't trust the average person to make me a sandwich let alone do what's best for the whole population. There are so many self-obsessed, me-me-me types out there with the attitude of "I won't do what I am told, who do they think they are?" when it comes to taking advice. The "I'm well-hard, fuck the virus" brigade who think their actions won't impact on other people who may be at risk. The average person (in my view) has as much common-sense as a cucumber they need telling what to do because they are stupid and don't think. 

Do you include yourself in that group of cucumber-headed morons? I find that usually when people are quick to dismiss entire groups of people as idiots they never group themselves among said idiots.

This kind of shit is the norm when people are panicking and feeling threatened. They think everyone else is to blame.

22 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

As for the guys who's lives revolve around pubs? Well that's really their doing, its not like they haven't chosen to live a life of sitting on their arse in pubs all day (I have three in my family/friend groups that are like that, I am not meaning to be disrespectful but state fact)

Really? I know a guy who spends most of his time in the pub. Elderly gent, his wife passed away years back, his children live overseas. The pub is his one line of access to any kind of social contact. If you take that away from him he's sitting home on his own in front of the telly with no one.

Fuck him though. 

Just now, SuperBacon said:

Fuck it, I've decided whatever happens I'm not paying my full rent this month if mortgages are suspended. The fuck they going to do?

Throw you in jail with the miscreants who are still drinking in pubs and coughing in public without proper etiquette.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Does that apply to those who drink alcohol, smoke, take any kind of drugs and so forth? As a society there's much that we do that impacts on the health and quality of life of those around us. Where do you draw the line?

Do you include yourself in that group of cucumber-headed morons? I find that usually when people are quick to dismiss entire groups of people as idiots they never group themselves among said idiots.

This kind of shit is the norm when people are panicking and feeling threatened. They think everyone else is to blame.

Really? I know a guy who spends most of his time in the pub. Elderly gent, his wife passed away years back, his children live overseas. The pub is his one line of access to any kind of social contact. If you take that away from him he's sitting home on his own in front of the telly with no one.

Fuck him though. 

I believe people need to take responsibility for their lifestyles yes. If you are stupid enough to smoke (knowing the risks to yours and others health) then you are irresponsible. If you take drugs and end up in a state then you are also a fuckin idiot. 

Of course I count myself in that group! But I am self-aware enough to know that I may unintentionally do stupid shit and actively check myself to at least limit the potential for that happening. Could I go out and infect a load of old people? Sure I could. Would I? Not intentionally. Because I'm not (intentionally) selfish.

As for your old man, what would he prefer to be at home miserable or on a ventilator? By your standard its you that wants to say "fuck him" and those of his age and vulnerability. 

Next

• Awards Moderator
13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Also, business rates are to be frozen, but it needs more then that. And a loan will only work if those businesses will get back on track after the event.

Rishi Sunak said it will be reviewed as necessary.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Rishi Sunak said it will be reviewed as necessary.

Wasting time trying to defend anything this government does, 3 months ago they where selling the nhs, then they where deliberately going to kill old or disabled people, now they are not doing enough. Endless cycle 

That said I’m about to praise amazon which I didn’t think I’d ever do 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN2142IQ

In a note sent to sellers on Tuesday, Amazon said it is seeing increasing online shopping demand from consumers. As its household staples and medical supplies are running out of stock, it will prioritise certain categories in order to "quickly receive, restock, and ship these products to customers."

Edited by quote the raven