Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

We'll if you were my tenant and said that, as apposed to sensibly asking for and getting some breathing space on agreed terms, I'd not be renewing your lease and kicking you out when things blow over for approaching it like a bellend. The fuck you going to do then?Ā 

Ā 

Who said I'm not going to do that?

Edited by SuperBacon

40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Exactly. I was having landlord issues and Shelter advised the worst thing you can do is to stop paying rent as they can issue eviction notices much quicker with no recourse.Ā 

I am experienced enough to know how to approach it and it's exactly as Keith says.

Some people just get way too literal on here.

Edit: sorry for double post. New shitty phone

Edited by SuperBacon

I spent years referencing prospective tenants for different companies, and can confirm that rent arrears on your previous propertyĀ will get your new applications declined for the foreseeable future - unless, depending on the requirements of the nextĀ landlord/agent's insurance policy, things were swiftly resolved to the satisfaction of the previous landlord/agent. But often that won't help a jot.

12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Youā€™ve said whatever happens you arenā€™t paying the full rent regardless. What if they are usual landlord wankers and demand the full whack? Will you be ok with deferring a small amount?Ā 

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Youā€™ve said whatever happens you arenā€™t paying the full rent regardless. What if they are usual landlord wankers and demand the full whack? Will you be ok with deferring a small amount?Ā 

Keith you know me, I was being a bit tongue in cheek. But the reality is that with having to already take this week off unpaid (childcare) and potential time off again, I'm going to struggle to pay full rent this month. That's not true actually. I could pay full rent but I just wouldn't be eating or having my children for a month.

I'll talk to them but as they're a management company who have been proper shit with dealing with my serious noise complaints I doubt I'll get any leeway but you never know.Ā 

I was just channeling my inner Wolfie Smith for a bit. I love my flat and wouldn't jeopardise it.

Still, landlords shouldn't exist. Peace and love to everyone else though x

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I don't understand your response, you posted what you posted and asked, what I assumed to be the hypothetical question "what a landlord would do" , as a landlord I posted what I'd do.Ā 

In no way do I expect you to follow through on what you said you were doing, but then I guess people get far too literal on here.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I don't understand your response, you posted what you posted and asked, what I assumed to be the hypothetical question "what a landlord would do" , as a landlord I posted what I'd do.Ā 

In no way do I expect you to follow through on what you said you were doing, but then I guess people get far too literal on here.Ā 

That was 5 years ago Tom, we've all moved on.Ā 

You're a landlord? Good for you. Enjoy your mortgage break

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

but as they're a management company who have been proper shit with dealing with my serious noise complaints I doubt I'll get any leeway but you never know

Ah fuck, yeah youā€™d have better luck with a person than a management company if you get my meaning. Hopefully theyā€™ll show a bit of empathy and humanity. Hope it works out ok.Ā 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

Thing is, it comes down to a level of personal choice, doesn't it? I actually agree that smoking is stupid, but I'd certainly fight against any government policy that would see people arrested for doing so.

But what about where that personal choice directlyĀ impacts other people? What's the difference between the government closing pubs because of the potential spread of Corona virus and the government banning smoking in public places because of the potential for cancer from passive smoking?

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ah fuck, yeah youā€™d have better luck with a person than a management company if you get my meaning. Hopefully theyā€™ll show a bit of empathy and humanity. Hope it works out ok.Ā 

Ok time to get more slating, but asĀ a landlord to a house of students thatā€™s with a management company I would be very angry if said company didnā€™t pass a reasonable request of payment deferral on. I have in the past allowed this to happen, loans not coming in on time ect.Ā 

If they request a few months breathing space I will phone the bank and request payment my end to stop and work with them.Ā Ā 

My anxiety is through the roof at the moment due to this and work. A big part of my anxiety is feeling like things are out of my control and not knowing what's going on.Ā 

At the moment at work we are under the assumption that schools are going to close at some point. It's a matter of when not if. We've been instructed to make up home learning packs to send hone with children in the event of closure. We've also been instructed to act like everything is normal in front of the children despite the fact they watch the news and are savvy enough to know what's going on. We're getting emails at least once a day with ever-changing guidance etc.Ā 

The whole uncertainty of the situation is not sitting well with me. I've had a stress headache for days now and feeling like crying.Ā 

1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

Ok time to get more slating, but asĀ a landlord to a house of students thatā€™s with a management company I would be very angry if said company didnā€™t pass a reasonable request of payment deferral on. I have in the past allowed this to happen, loans not coming in on time ect.Ā 

If they request a few months breathing space I will phone the bank and request payment my end to stop and work with them.Ā Ā 

Not sure if it's the same thing tbh. My management company owns the whole building, and the commercial properties underneath on the parade, so the whole freehold. I'm guessing yours is more of a managing agent.

• Paid Members

Thing with Mortgage holidays is they are mostly available as standard. If you go to your provider and ask for one they normally offer it. Mine asked if I wanted one on my last renewal. That was Halifax.

France have said all utilities will be free for every household. Things like that, or an increase to SSP or even them topping up the SSP to your normal basic wage would have a much more positive impact to the current climate then just loans to businessesĀ