Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Just had 'the talk' with my 68 year old dad who had a heart attack 6 years ago.

"What are they going to do? Check me for I.D when I leave the house. I'm not staying in"

Cheers Dad.

Just wish him good luck if he wants to do that

hunger games katniss GIF

56 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yes I can. I owned my own house when I lived in Coventry, I bought it before prices went silly but I bought it not as an investment but as a home. 

15 years later, I moved to Manchester, I let a mate live there and he covered the mortgage. Once he moved out I sold the house because I didn’t need it anymore. 

I’ve been relatively lucky with landlords since moving, one of them had converted their house into two flats so they and the mother of one could live there. So they were downstairs when I lived there and everything to ensure I lived in a perfectly maintained house. 
Buy to let landlords see something as basic as a roof over your head as an investment. They have a whopping sense of entitlement about their investment. Stocks can be wiped out in a day and those who invested in them lose their money. If your investment is a house and you think you have some right to a government bailout because your investment isn’t making you the money you thought it would then fuck you. 

You won’t “Lose the house” if nobody rents it from you, you still have a fucking house that you can sell. And if you lose money on selling it then tough shit. 

So yeah, buy to let landlords can go fuck themselves. No DSS. 

Fair play but your situation is slightly different than the average. You didn't buy an additional house with the premise to let and had your own reasons to sell.

The generalisation of the buy to let landlord is pretty much on the nose but not all are like that as we all know. The more caring/fair/understanding one's are increasingly hard to find, given the 'I'm alright, Jack', 'I WoRk Hard!!!' mantras of the masses and the ever increasing social stigma of benefits over the last 20 years that the quality of housing and landlords has massively decreased to a crippling point. Even housing associations/social sectors are slipping down this route and I hate that there's such a lack of understanding across the board on the issues that plague the whole market from top to bottom. 

No DSS is a pure cunts trick, I understand that some clientele won't be to a landlords desire but that killed a lot of trust within the market and essentially handed power to unscrupulous landlords the land over. 

Another failure is the proper placement of ruling/regulation. Buy to let should never have been given the go ahead to the extent it is at and continue to be but greed takes all.

I do agree that buying to let without a proper/solid contingency or substantial holding to safeguard all involved is a fucking joke. Measures need to be in place so its not just and endless cycle of profit bumpers and flippers. This is where greed is fully on show for all to see. 

I stand with you on your points but I can't fully get behind fuck all buy to letters.

• Paid Members

Theres a few videos floating around on facebook of folk that are "in the know" saying they have heard that "troops have been mobilised"(thier words) and that Johnson will announce a full lockdown tommorow, and ban folk from leaving the house for 15 days. Emergency services will still be operating and supermarkets will still be open(but under guard from the army to stop looters). No idea how true they are, but I saw one of them predict the school closures on Monday evening. So let's just see.

2 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Theres a few videos floating around on facebook of folk that are "in the know" saying they have heard that "troops have been mobilised"(thier words) and that Johnson will announce a full lockdown tommorow, and ban folk from leaving the house for 15 days. Emergency services will still be operating and supermarkets will still be open(but under guard from the army to stop looters). No idea how true they are, but I saw one of them predict the school closures on Monday evening. So let's just see.

Gibbo in the group chat again?

Just googled "How to add fractions" as that's me as teacher for the next few weeks at least.

Still, can finally school the kids on hip hop as part of our music lessons.

• Paid Members

This is one of the links, and have seen a video by a guy called Jason Nota. Like I say, might all be bullshit but it would make sense if these measures were put in place...

• Paid Members

The broad strokes of the no one will get evicted will be interesting. There can't be an eviction without bailiffs so I'm assuming they'll stop them at the court level which is fine because people need as much help as possible but there's also the very real scenario that someone can be given their full rent through universal credit, not bother paying it and the landlord will have no comeback. 

13 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Schools closing wasn’t exactly a far reaching concept, I’m pretty sure most of us could’ve predicted it. As for the rest of that Mega City One dystopia, his tinfoil is probably on a bit tight. How are emergency services supposed to still operate and supermarkets still be if everyone is banned from leaving the house. Anyone mentioning the New World Order and not throwing a Too Sweet is probably full of shit

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Schools closing wasn’t exactly a far reaching concept, I’m pretty sure most of us could’ve predicted it. As for the rest of that Mega City One dystopia, his tinfoil is probably on a bit tight. How are emergency services supposed to still operate and supermarkets still be if everyone is banned from leaving the house

The idea of the. "lockdown" is similar to what they did in Italy I think.

I'm interested to see a proper breakdown of "key workers and NHS staff" my wife works in a kitchen at an NHS hospital so do our kids qualify under the umbrella of the ones the schools are being opened for, and if they do we need to decide if we want them to go to a school where the only other kids are the vulnerable and children of doctors and nurses who are presumable being exposed to people with it constantly?

• Paid Members

Anyone who is "locked down" or is in self isolation and want's things to watch, the VHS archive has shit load of old TV and films, some wrestling and even some football VHS's...

https://archive.org/details/vhsvault?and[]=Wrestling&sin=

One thing it doesn't have that I'm trying to get my hands on is the old Fantasy Football League show. If anyone knows where I can get it, let me know please as I'd love to watch them while isolating!

Edited by Cod Eye

• Awards Moderator
34 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

One thing it doesn't have that I'm trying to get my hands on is the old Fantasy Football League show. If anyone knows where I can get it, let me know please as I'd love to watch them while isolating!

There are some episodes/halves missing, but:

Series 1: 

Series 2:

Over 15 hours of it in those playlists.

Edited by Frankie Crisp