Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

24 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Fucking hell, had exactly the same thing with our 10yo daughter tonight. Absolutely inconsolable, she cried for ages. 

8yo son? Simply replied 'sweet'.

Until day 3 and he hears "Did I ever tell you about the season we went unbeaten?" for the 50th fucking time.

• Moderators

Day three of having my daughter at home in isolation and she's climbing up the walls. My wife and I really struggling to entertain her and try to work from home at the same time between the two of us.. (not complaining of course - glad to still have a job and be able to work from home given the circumstances).

Can't wait until this two weeks are up at least, as then at least she can play with her cousins. If the testing does actually get rolled out widely and cheaply as some have suggested, then I'd love to check if what we all have now is it, as then she'll be clear to spend time with my mum as well.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I don't think it's confirmed that the illness can't be re-caught, only that any evidence for it happening is inconclusive so far. For now, I'm not sure I'd take the risk of exposing grandparents to it just on the basis of your daughter already having had it.

I also wonder, even if indeed the illness can't be re-caught, whether the virus (that causes the illness) can still be carried and spread by that person despite they themselves not getting ill from it. Has that been addressed anywhere?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

If I reflect properly on this, it is all fucking madness isn't it? This is likely one of the biggest (if not the) things to happen in our lifetime, but it doesn't seem like it at all.

It almost seems surreal. Perhaps that is down to how we process information nowadays as before, if something broke on the 4 TV channels, you knew proper shit was happening.

A global pandemic and we all just share memes and laugh at things on Twitter. It's just crazy and it only really hit home when we sat down with our kids and explained what was happening with school and our 10 year old (who loves school), broke down crying and asked when she could see her friends again, and we couldn't give her a clear answer.

I know that she could of course see her friends, and there is no rule in place stopping them all getting together or going to each others houses, but I don't know how other parents are planning to handle this. They might not be happy about that, so I can't give them actual answers.

They can't go to see their grandparents as they are both high risk, and it just all seems very sad for them. Add to the mix they'll have me looking after them every day for the foreseeable future and it just sucks.

We've set her up with her own email address so she can email her friends and grandparents. Seems to have quelled the emotions a bit.

Not really. The pub I deal with is one full of men between the ages of 60-90. Anyone younger tends to have health conditions and they're carking it. Those boys are family to me. We've started making care packages. 

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I also wonder, even if indeed the illness can't be re-caught, whether the virus (that causes the illness) can still be carried and spread by that person despite they themselves not getting ill from it. Has that been addressed anywhere?

Do you mean can it be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers? If so, then the answer is yes.

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Do you mean can it be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers? If so, then the answer is yes.

I mean specifically by people who've already had the illness, if we assume that makes them now immune to getting ill again (which again I don't think is confirmed, but for the sake of this query let's make that assumption).

So with the example of your daughter: if indeed she can't get ill a second time, could she not still pick up the virus a second time, without getting ill from it, and pass it on to her grandparents?

Edited by Uncle Zeb

5 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Not really. The pub I deal with is one full of men between the ages of 60-90. Anyone younger tends to have health conditions and they're carking it. Those boys are family to me. We've started making care packages. 

Sorry, I don't understand. Not really what?

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I mean specifically by people who've already had the illness, if we assume that makes them now immune to getting ill again (which again I don't think is confirmed, but for the sake of this query let's make that assumption).

So with the example of your daughter: if indeed she can't get ill a second time, could she not still pick up the virus a second time, without getting ill from it, and pass it on to her grandparents?

No. Because, if she is immune, then the reason is is because if she gets it a second time then her antibodies kill the virus; that's how immunity works - so there's nothing there to pass on.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

From what I've heard, the idea that once you've had it, you are immune to catching it again because your body creates antibodies is being treated as the most likely case, but not something being relied on 100%.

One of the medical experts who appears next to Boris Johnson was asked yesterday about reports of a Japanese person getting reinfected with it. He said that it's too early to say if that's significant because even with a 'normal' virus that you only get once, there's usually a few people who are exceptions.

Also, to sum up the medical advances as I understand them:

* There's promising signs that it won't be too long before there's a test to see if you've already had COVID-19 (by looking for the antibodies you build up.) That would be hugely useful for getting a better picture of how many people get it and don't show any symptoms, which in turn means you can more accurate model how it spreads.

* There's some signs that particular combinations of existing drugs can help treat the disease. (That's completely separate to the issue of it spreading, but could affect how many simultaneous sufferers a health service can cope with.)

* An actual vaccine could well take as long as 18 months to develop, but that's just a guesstimate. (A vaccine would mean your body could fight off the virus quickly enough that you don't then pass it on.)

Finally, I was reading a piece earlier about the social distancing which said that you can't just shut everything down for a couple of months and then go back to normal because the virus will just immediately spread again and get out of control. But on the other hand, it was arguing that a total shutdown for 18 straight months simply isn't practical because, well, society and the economy collapses.

So the theory is that what will wind up happening is we have these restrictions for a couple of months at a time, then they'll be reduced for a bit which will let the virus spread a bit, and then you phase back into lockdowns as the infection rate starts growing towards the point where it would overwhelm the health service. You'd go through several cycles until a vaccine is ready, but in theory the growth spells will slow down each time because more people have built up an immunity. (https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615370/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing-18-months/?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email)

The friend of the parent of my friend has died of Covid-19 today.  So that's a 3rd degree connection.  I expect at some point we will all have 3rd degree connections, and probably 2nd degree connections.  Fingers crossed none of us have 1st.

3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

They've suspended filming new episodes of Doctors.

Well, something good has come of this.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

UK total cases standing at 39 per million citizens. If it doesn't get some momentum soon I'll be asking for my money back. 

NHS advice is that you should self-isolate if you think you have it, stay hydrated and take paracetamol. Not getting tested.

The numbers are meaningless. Most people, whether showing symptoms or not, haven't been tested. We have no real idea how many cases there are.