Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

I'm surprised at how little it has affected my mental health, but fully understand and have sympathy for those it is affecting.

I think I'm just taking solace in the fact that me and mine are not alone in this, and we're all pretty much in the same boat. Plus my brother-in-law who's a cunt has COPD. Fingers crossed!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Do you think we'll end up in a French style lockdown? If so, will they regionalise it? I say that because there's sod all happening here. Still only 1 confirmed case, I think.

If they do, you might finally see Hull rid of bubonic plague, rick.

11 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

I'm surprised at how little it has affected my mental health, but fully understand and have sympathy for those it is affecting.

I think I'm just taking solace in the fact that me and mine are not alone in this, and we're all pretty much in the same boat. Plus my brother-in-law who's a cunt has COPD. Fingers crossed!

Wasn't overly bothered myself at first but the last few days have done a number on me. It's not even fear of the virus itself but the general atmosphere that's given me a kicking.

Thankfully I'm off work for a bit (not virus related) so can mentally recharge.

I don't think it's really sunk in for me yet how much of a crazy time this is. I'd say it will kick in when things eventually get back to normal or someone close to me gets sick.

At the moment I just miss having the ability to go for a pint after work or to the cinema at the weekend. I still have to go to work, so I suppose I still have a routine at least. But even work is weird now. If anyone coughs we're all suspicious, plus we're not allowed go see clients in prison anymore so about 80% of our workload is on hold.

5 minutes ago, DCW said:

I don't think it's really sunk in for me yet how much of a crazy time this is. I'd say it will kick in when things eventually get back to normal or someone close to me gets sick.

At the moment I just miss having the ability to go for a pint after work or to the cinema at the weekend. I still have to go to work, so I suppose I still have a routine at least. But even work is weird now. If anyone coughs we're all suspicious, plus we're not allowed go see clients in prison anymore so about 80% of our workload is on hold.

I'm guessing you're either a hooker or a lawyer.

Either way it's soliciting.

• Paid Members

I've been sent home from work and can't work from home so I have literally nothing to do. That combined with the general atmosphere of London and the girlfriend working from home in the living room so I'm essentially stuck in the bedroom most the day...I'm climbing the fucking walls and it's only day 2. 

• Paid Members

I work from home anyway these days, so it's not really hitting me too much at the minute. It will however, if they go full on lockdown as I've only just moved out of the marital home after a relationship breakup, and the thought of not being able to see the kids a couple of weeks(or god forbid months!) is killing me...

4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

My work has closed indefinitely. Thankfully we’re getting paid our contracted salaries rather than SSP. Could be a few weeks, could be a few months, we don’t know at this stage.

I’m pretty gutted to be honest

Still full pay though, not to be sniffed (Or coughed) at.

As someone who’s worked from home for years ...

Go out for regular walks chaps, once a day if you can.  It does your mental health a lot of good to get some air and a bit of sunlight.  Even a 15 minute stroll stops the walls from closing in.

Also - get dressed.  Lounging in your pyjamas sounds fun but it helps to feel like you’re up and about.

Don’t work in bed.  Again, sounds fun but you won’t feel like you’re really working.  Get up, put some clothes on, go work in a different room.

Honestly you have to be pro active otherwise it really can take its toll on your mental heath.

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

As someone who’s worked from home for years ...

Go out for regular walks chaps, once a day if you can.  It does your mental health a lot of good to get some air and a bit of sunlight.  Even a 15 minute stroll stops the walls from closing in.

Also - get dressed.  Lounging in your pyjamas sounds fun but it helps to feel like you’re up and about.

Don’t work in bed.  Again, sounds fun but you won’t feel like you’re really working.  Get up, put some clothes on, go work in a different room.

Honestly you have to be pro active otherwise it really can take its toll on your mental heath.

Also, when you've finished your days work, leave the house and go for a walk. Then when you get home from it, it feels like you're coming home from your day at work and helps break up the day from work day/leisure time. Otherwise the whole day just moulds into one long thing with no separation.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Loki said:

This! I got myself into a right rut when I first started working from home by just getting up and working in what ever I slept in or a dressing gown.

My advice is make yourself an area that is just for working if possible, nothing else and treat it like your office. Do like you would at work and make sure your dressed smart and have your drink made and are sat at your desk/area in good time before your working day starts, and keep to the rules of your workplace. When your working day is over, shut your equiptment off and don't go back to it until the next day.

if you don't, your mind will be constantly ticking over all night as it will struggle to differentiate between work and leisure time. Also, it will make things much easier when this all blows over and you have to start going into work again, as you will have picked up less bad habitls...