Paid Members tiger_rick Posted March 19, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2020 Do you think we'll end up in a French style lockdown? If so, will they regionalise it? I say that because there's sod all happening here. Still only 1 confirmed case, I think. Obviously no-one quite knows with people self-isolating and whatnot but on the face of it, all seems a bit drastic at the moment. I think most people fear a lockdown rather than the virus, hence the panic-buying. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted March 19, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2020 6 minutes ago, Loki said: Yes and yes. London first. Maybe a bit flippant but that genuinely seems sensible. London and the home counties are far more affected than anywhere else. I doubt they'd dare do that though. There'd be hell on. Quote
Paid Members JNLister Posted March 19, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2020 8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: Do you think we'll end up in a French style lockdown? If so, will they regionalise it? I say that because there's sod all happening here. Still only 1 confirmed case, I think. Obviously no-one quite knows with people self-isolating and whatnot but on the face of it, all seems a bit drastic at the moment. I think most people fear a lockdown rather than the virus, hence the panic-buying. I suspect first step will be to have a lockdown-by-default (maybe just in London) where you force all the bars and restaurants and non-food shops to shut and severely restrict public transport. There's nothing stopping you leaving the house, but also much less point in doing so outside of going to work. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted March 19, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2020 With my 'zombie apocalypse' head on, I'd station the army and checkpoints on the M25 and so on, quarantining London effectively. But yeah, waiting for it to happen. To what degree it'll happen is the question. I'm only going out once a day at the moment to run errands, and in my part of London, the supermarkets were like Christmas Eve. So I avoided them and went elsewhere. Quote
The King Of Swing Posted March 19, 2020 Posted March 19, 2020 (edited) Hopefully no need to make anymore trips to ASDA for a while. Today was soul crushing, made even more frustrating because I don't even want to buy that much and staff (who to be fair are probably stressed to fuck) making me feel like crap. Be sticking to local shops from here on if I need anything. If people got a grip and just listened there would probably be less need for any kind of extreme measures. Edited March 19, 2020 by The King Of Swing Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted March 19, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2020 I think the problem at the moment is all the pictures people are posting of empty shelves. They're normally doing it to berate people but it's just spreading the panic. We've got a full freezer and a store cupboard and a garage and corner shop 100m away where we can easily get bread and milk. But the wife was still banging on at me yesterday because the first wave of panic buying now has her panicking that we won't be able to get stuff when we need it. Quote
The King Of Swing Posted March 19, 2020 Posted March 19, 2020 Yeah that's a good point. I'm avoiding the rags but I'm going to hazard a guess that they are also not helping matters. Quote
Paid Members seph Posted March 19, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2020 (edited) 1 hour ago, JNLister said: I suspect first step will be to have a lockdown-by-default (maybe just in London) where you force all the bars and restaurants and non-food shops to shut and severely restrict public transport. There's nothing stopping you leaving the house, but also much less point in doing so outside of going to work. I would say "exercise" as that would still be allowed under WHO guidance, but private transport is still an aggravating factor. Buses are on permanent saturday/sunday service for the duration in Bris so that problem's essentially solved itself. Edited March 19, 2020 by seph Quote
Paid Members Kaz Hayashi Posted March 19, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2020 7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: I think the problem at the moment is all the pictures people are posting of empty shelves. They're normally doing it to berate people but it's just spreading the panic. We've got a full freezer and a store cupboard and a garage and corner shop 100m away where we can easily get bread and milk. But the wife was still banging on at me yesterday because the first wave of panic buying now has her panicking that we won't be able to get stuff when we need it. On top of that (which is spot on btw), people as usual are only reading headlines and headlines only. They are seeing the key words and are transfixed. “PASTA, TOILET ROLL, SUPERMARKET, SOLD OUT.” My local Morrison’s & Sainsbury’s (50 yards apart) have both been sold out of bog roll and pasta for a week now. The Wilkos 50 yards away and the corner shop next to it are fully stocked. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted March 19, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2020 Gyms will close, I'd imagine, but we'll all be allowed to exercise, even if it's a walk to the shops. It's crucial. I felt a bit shit last night with stress of work and all this rubbish but a good walk sorted me right out. And yes, I do mean "walk". Quote
organizedkaos Posted March 19, 2020 Posted March 19, 2020 4 minutes ago, Ralphy said: If, or when gyms are forced to close I will lose my outlet and happy place Have you tried DDP Yoga Ralphy? Dunno exactly if it would offer the specific thing in a workout that works for your mental health but it's a pretty decent full on workout (cardio + strength + stretching) that can be done at home. I've been doing it twice a day as am working from home at the moment (normally I'd do it once a day and walk a lot) and it's really noticeable the difference between how I feel anxiety wise before and after Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 19, 2020 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2020 1 hour ago, Briefcase said: I witnessed someone in a car selling water out of his jug to people walking past. Are things that bad? This was in Dagenham mind you. Do they not have taps in Dagenham? Quote
Briefcase Posted March 19, 2020 Posted March 19, 2020 3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Do they not have taps in Dagenham? I would hope so, I am currently working down that part of the world for a few weeks, I don't live there. Quote
Undefeated Steak Posted March 19, 2020 Posted March 19, 2020 Carbon emissions reported as dropping by 200 million tonnes. This is the gift that keeps on giving. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.