Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

To give the landlords a break ... look what someone kindly popped through the letterbox yesterday evening. I've never had one before. What coincidentally great timing, with people at risk of losing their income.

20200317_210335.thumb.jpg.5e6ac46df7d62f1a48046f802a79ee08.jpg

They've made sure to give an example so that they're in legal compliance. If you borrow £200, you'll have paid back £340 ten weeks later. That's easier to parse than trying to make sense of the API, if a figure of 466% isn't enough to terrify you just at the sight of it. You might even decide that needs must and you'll take a loan out of those terms. £200 won't last long, though, so it's fortunate that you can easily jump to £1500 once you're an existing customer.

20200318_084149.thumb.jpg.d432590b89b741a66db0bb8169b88c5d.jpg

I suppose you could charitably argue that these people are providing a service, filling a gap in the market etc, and it's true that they've provided the numbers and an illustrative example. But the timing doesn't half look to me like opportunistic parasitism and a fast track to destitution.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

There are some episodes/halves missing, but:

Series 1: 

Series 2:

Nearly 14 hours of it in those playlists.

Cheers Frankie, mate! You're a star!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Theres a few videos floating around on facebook of folk that are "in the know" saying they have heard that "troops have been mobilised"(thier words) and that Johnson will announce a full lockdown tommorow, and ban folk from leaving the house for 15 days. Emergency services will still be operating and supermarkets will still be open(but under guard from the army to stop looters). No idea how true they are, but I saw one of them predict the school closures on Monday evening. So let's just see.

My other half works within educational planning.  Not high level at all and she has been cited on the expected closure date for over a week. I don't think it's a indicator of great knowledge predicting that.

If I reflect properly on this, it is all fucking madness isn't it? This is likely one of the biggest (if not the) things to happen in our lifetime, but it doesn't seem like it at all.

It almost seems surreal. Perhaps that is down to how we process information nowadays as before, if something broke on the 4 TV channels, you knew proper shit was happening.

A global pandemic and we all just share memes and laugh at things on Twitter. It's just crazy and it only really hit home when we sat down with our kids and explained what was happening with school and our 10 year old (who loves school), broke down crying and asked when she could see her friends again, and we couldn't give her a clear answer.

I know that she could of course see her friends, and there is no rule in place stopping them all getting together or going to each others houses, but I don't know how other parents are planning to handle this. They might not be happy about that, so I can't give them actual answers.

They can't go to see their grandparents as they are both high risk, and it just all seems very sad for them. Add to the mix they'll have me looking after them every day for the foreseeable future and it just sucks.

We've set her up with her own email address so she can email her friends and grandparents. Seems to have quelled the emotions a bit.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

It's just crazy and it only really hit home when we sat down with our kids and explained what was happening with school and our 10 year old (who loves school), broke down crying and asked when she could see her friends again, and we couldn't give her a clear answer.

Fucking hell, had exactly the same thing with our 10yo daughter tonight. Absolutely inconsolable, she cried for ages. 

8yo son? Simply replied 'sweet'.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

It's a massive shame that the news only reports on the number of contracted cases and deaths. Never the amount of recoveries.

Of the 217,436 cases there have been confirmed world wide since this started, 84,383 of them have made a full recovery.

Don't want to sound like a knob but actually I think those figures could  be misunderstood. Plenty will say "wait so 140,000 havent recovered"

1 minute ago, ElCece said:

Don't want to sound like a knob but actually I think those figures could  be misunderstood. Plenty will say "wait so 140,000 havent recovered"

I don't think it could really. 217,436 have been confirmed to have had it. 84,383 have recovered, 8,919 have died and 124,134 still currently have the virus.