1 minute ago, Onyx2 said:

Renters I can't help you with. But Sole Traders (<£51000) have got access to the same funds. Can't knock them on this one. 

I never realised the shoe shop was that popular.

14 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Raving Tory in defending Tory shocker.

But so I can praise them, please tell me where sole traders and renters get the help? What about those who have just become employed due to closures? 

Just so I’m clear when they announce the rent freeze... you saying you will praise them?

3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm not praising someone for doing the absolute minimum that's expected.

They've not even done that though. I'm still going to have to try and make rent, bills etc on 2 weeks of SSP unless I'm sick next week or the week after as I have a holiday booked the first week of the Easter break. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. 

I found a shop in town selling little bottles of hand sanitizer, bought 2 (one for me and one for Mrs Loki).  Got home to find I've only got 1 in my bag - I must have dropped the other one whilst using it on the way home.

I feel this might be natural selection in action.

1 minute ago, Loki said:

I found a shop in town selling little bottles of hand sanitizer, bought 2 (one for me and one for Mrs Loki).  Got home to find I've only got 1 in my bag - I must have dropped the other one whilst using it on the way home.

I feel this might be natural selection in action.

I think you need to consider the depressing reality that it's more likely you have been pick pocketed for your hand sanitizer.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Fuck it, I've decided whatever happens I'm not paying my full rent this month if mortgages are suspended. The fuck they going to do?

We'll if you were my tenant and said that, as apposed to sensibly asking for and getting some breathing space on agreed terms, I'd not be renewing your lease and kicking you out when things blow over for approaching it like a bellend. The fuck you going to do then? 

Exactly. I was having landlord issues and Shelter advised the worst thing you can do is to stop paying rent as they can issue eviction notices much quicker with no recourse. 

13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Exactly. I was having landlord issues and Shelter advised the worst thing you can do is to stop paying rent as they can issue eviction notices much quicker with no recourse. 

It's also very different depending who/what you're renting from and what type of agreement you have.

Private or shorthold/term will probably see the back of you ASAP and depending on a person's reaction, try and bury you and your credit rating/future tenancies.

Housing Association (Council) or long term agreements usually have more leeway to play around with but even these are now minefields which non payments without solid reasoning can trigger quicker eviction clauses/notices.The devil's in the details of the contract mainly. 

Given the current situation and climate, its practically suicide to withhold the rent without sufficient evidence/reasoning.

@SuperBacon You might have been just joking but if there is a sliver of doubt that you'll not pay rent unless you can't financially, it isn't worth it.

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

We'll if you were my tenant and said that, as apposed to sensibly asking for and getting some breathing space on agreed terms, I'd not be renewing your lease and kicking you out when things blow over for approaching it like a bellend. The fuck you going to do then? 

Who said I'm not going to do that?

Edited by SuperBacon

40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I am experienced enough to know how to approach it and it's exactly as Keith says.

Some people just get way too literal on here.

Edit: sorry for double post. New shitty phone

Edited by SuperBacon

I spent years referencing prospective tenants for different companies, and can confirm that rent arrears on your previous property will get your new applications declined for the foreseeable future - unless, depending on the requirements of the next landlord/agent's insurance policy, things were swiftly resolved to the satisfaction of the previous landlord/agent. But often that won't help a jot.

12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Who said I'm not going to do that?

You’ve said whatever happens you aren’t paying the full rent regardless. What if they are usual landlord wankers and demand the full whack? Will you be ok with deferring a small amount? 

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

You’ve said whatever happens you aren’t paying the full rent regardless. What if they are usual landlord wankers and demand the full whack? Will you be ok with deferring a small amount? 

Keith you know me, I was being a bit tongue in cheek. But the reality is that with having to already take this week off unpaid (childcare) and potential time off again, I'm going to struggle to pay full rent this month. That's not true actually. I could pay full rent but I just wouldn't be eating or having my children for a month.

I'll talk to them but as they're a management company who have been proper shit with dealing with my serious noise complaints I doubt I'll get any leeway but you never know. 

I was just channeling my inner Wolfie Smith for a bit. I love my flat and wouldn't jeopardise it.

Still, landlords shouldn't exist. Peace and love to everyone else though x