Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Just now, Michael_3165 said:

I believe people need to take responsibility for their lifestyles yes. If you are stupid enough to smoke (knowing the risks to yours and others health) then you are irresponsible. If you take drugs and end up in a state then you are also a fuckin idiot.

Thing is, it comes down to a level of personal choice, doesn't it? I actually agree that smoking is stupid, but I'd certainly fight against any government policy that would see people arrested for doing so.

1 minute ago, Michael_3165 said:

Of course I count myself in that group! But I am self-aware enough to know that I may unintentionally do stupid shit and actively check myself to at least limit the potential for that happening. Could I go out and infect a load of old people? Sure I could. Would I? Not intentionally. Because I'm not (intentionally) selfish.

I don't disagree, but my point in this whole debate has been the extent to which the government would have carte blanche to arrest or fine people for being stupid if they took it a step further than advising people to avoid crowds and so on.

I'll reiterate, the idea of blindly handing over control of all of our freedoms to the berks that run the country because we're all whipped up into a frenzy disturbs me. Which is why I'd be firmly against any kind of enforced lockdown. 

Because, if there's an enforced lockdown, that suggests there will be measures taken to enforce it, doesn't it? The day we start seeing people fined or arrested for walking the streets is a dark fucking day indeed, regardless of any pandemic.

Where would it end? The government hit people with fines. They don't pay. What then? Prison? The jails are overcrowded as it is, so I doubt they have room for people who are guilty of walking the streets or being caught in a pub. 

It's a slippery slope. There's a ton of people worried in China about the measures their government have implemented to quell this pandemic. They're worried that once this passes those measures won't be so easy to roll back.

Then again, that's China. That kind of thing doesn't happen here, right?

5 minutes ago, David said:

Thing is, it comes down to a level of personal choice, doesn't it? I actually agree that smoking is stupid, but I'd certainly fight against any government policy that would see people arrested for doing so.

I don't disagree, but my point in this whole debate has been the extent to which the government would have carte blanche to arrest or fine people for being stupid if they took it a step further than advising people to avoid crowds and so on.

I'll reiterate, the idea of blindly handing over control of all of our freedoms to the berks that run the country because we're all whipped up into a frenzy disturbs me. Which is why I'd be firmly against any kind of enforced lockdown. 

Because, if there's an enforced lockdown, that suggests there will be measures taken to enforce it, doesn't it? The day we start seeing people fined or arrested for walking the streets is a dark fucking day indeed, regardless of any pandemic.

Where would it end? The government hit people with fines. They don't pay. What then? Prison? The jails are overcrowded as it is, so I doubt they have room for people who are guilty of walking the streets or being caught in a pub. 

It's a slippery slope. There's a ton of people worried in China about the measures their government have implemented to quell this pandemic. They're worried that once this passes those measures won't be so easy to roll back.

Then again, that's China. That kind of thing doesn't happen here, right?

Now we can agree on the point of how enforcement is achievable. I personally don't see how they can enforce it but to say that is a reason not do put down rules is not the point. 

I think you are massively over-estimating how much of a "slippery slope" it is and I normally hear that from people who don't want any kind of rules or regulation. Most of the time its common sense. Its the same as those people that believe being unable (by law) to call someone a "n****r" is a "slippery slope to freedom of speech being taken away". Its simply nonsense. You can have laws that don't lead to "worse things" later. If you honestly believe we are heading for a China-like state you really read too much dystopian fiction, listen to too much David Icke and should step away from twitter. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Wasting time trying to defend anything this government does, 3 months ago they where selling the nhs, then they where deliberately going to kill old or disabled people, now they are not doing enough. Endless cycle 

Raving Tory in defending Tory shocker.

But so I can praise them, please tell me where sole traders and renters get the help? What about those who have just become employed due to closures? 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Raving Tory in defending Tory shocker.

But so I can praise them, please tell me where sole traders and renters get the help? What about those who have just become employed due to closures? 

Just so I’m clear when they announce the rent freeze... you saying you will praise them?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm not praising someone for doing the absolute minimum that's expected.

They've not even done that though. I'm still going to have to try and make rent, bills etc on 2 weeks of SSP unless I'm sick next week or the week after as I have a holiday booked the first week of the Easter break. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. 

I found a shop in town selling little bottles of hand sanitizer, bought 2 (one for me and one for Mrs Loki).  Got home to find I've only got 1 in my bag - I must have dropped the other one whilst using it on the way home.

I feel this might be natural selection in action.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

I found a shop in town selling little bottles of hand sanitizer, bought 2 (one for me and one for Mrs Loki).  Got home to find I've only got 1 in my bag - I must have dropped the other one whilst using it on the way home.

I feel this might be natural selection in action.

I think you need to consider the depressing reality that it's more likely you have been pick pocketed for your hand sanitizer.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Fuck it, I've decided whatever happens I'm not paying my full rent this month if mortgages are suspended. The fuck they going to do?

We'll if you were my tenant and said that, as apposed to sensibly asking for and getting some breathing space on agreed terms, I'd not be renewing your lease and kicking you out when things blow over for approaching it like a bellend. The fuck you going to do then? 

13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Exactly. I was having landlord issues and Shelter advised the worst thing you can do is to stop paying rent as they can issue eviction notices much quicker with no recourse. 

It's also very different depending who/what you're renting from and what type of agreement you have.

Private or shorthold/term will probably see the back of you ASAP and depending on a person's reaction, try and bury you and your credit rating/future tenancies.

Housing Association (Council) or long term agreements usually have more leeway to play around with but even these are now minefields which non payments without solid reasoning can trigger quicker eviction clauses/notices.The devil's in the details of the contract mainly. 

Given the current situation and climate, its practically suicide to withhold the rent without sufficient evidence/reasoning.

@SuperBacon You might have been just joking but if there is a sliver of doubt that you'll not pay rent unless you can't financially, it isn't worth it.