Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

3 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

My anxiety is through the roof at the moment due to this and work. A big part of my anxiety is feeling like things are out of my control and not knowing what's going on. 

At the moment at work we are under the assumption that schools are going to close at some point. It's a matter of when not if. We've been instructed to make up home learning packs to send hone with children in the event of closure. We've also been instructed to act like everything is normal in front of the children despite the fact they watch the news and are savvy enough to know what's going on. We're getting emails at least once a day with ever-changing guidance etc. 

The whole uncertainty of the situation is not sitting well with me. I've had a stress headache for days now and feeling like crying. 

Shit man that sounds stressful. I can see wwhy you would be worried esp if you have no clear plan moving forward. The only suggestion is to accept the fact things will change and you Haave. O control over it. Easier said than done? Definitely. But otherwise you torture yourself over something you can't change. 

Working in health I have the constant guidelines changing plus the fact everyone thinks they have it and want a quick fix. I haven't got an answer for them and it's painful not to be able to take away suffering.. 

Good luck 

• Paid Members

Eurovisuon could still be a thing where they show videos of the entries and have a vote on the best song? 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Not sure if it's the same thing tbh. My management company owns the whole building, and the commercial properties underneath on the parade, so the whole freehold. I'm guessing yours is more of a managing agent.

Aw yeah sorry dude. I would still hope they will look at it as a business and use the government money to back themselves up then pass that on to you. 

Hopefully rent deferral will come in shortly 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

This mortgage holiday thing, is this an automatic hold across the board or is it something you have to request if you're affected? 

Request. It’s supposed to be for those who need it as opposed to everyone gets it just by having a mortgage 

• Paid Members

@Ralphysend me your details, if you have any consoles with online stuff send me them as well,. 

Your usernames on them, not the consoles. That'd be rude. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

44 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

In what I expect to be a testing and challenging few months ahead, I would like to offer any help to anyone I possibly can

This place has helped me through some troubled times and I would like repay thefavor. 

PM, texts, WhatsApp etc, anything

I think more stories of being beaten up by cows would suffice :)

Just had the chance to buy loo roll in my newsagent. £2.99 for 3 rolls. Put them back. Not paying that.

15 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Now we can agree on the point of how enforcement is achievable. I personally don't see how they can enforce it but to say that is a reason not do put down rules is not the point. 

I think you are massively over-estimating how much of a "slippery slope" it is and I normally hear that from people who don't want any kind of rules or regulation. Most of the time its common sense. Its the same as those people that believe being unable (by law) to call someone a "n****r" is a "slippery slope to freedom of speech being taken away". Its simply nonsense. You can have laws that don't lead to "worse things" later. If you honestly believe we are heading for a China-like state you really read too much dystopian fiction, listen to too much David Icke and should step away from twitter. 

On your first point, I have to question what the point of rules are if you don't plan on enforcing them? The government says "we're demanding that all pubs and clubs close for the foreseeable future" only for a few renegade bar owners to open anyway and continue making money?

How long before those who have complied see this happening and think "well fuck it, if it's a choice between sitting in my house and watching the savings dry up or opening for a few hours and making some cash to feed my family?"

What happens then? It would be a disaster if we saw a situation where the government made a demand of the public only for those who blatantly gave them the middle finger to go unpunished. That's why we're seeing increasingly harsh tactics being used in Spain and now France.

That's why I'm in favour of the government advising people to use their common sense rather than looking foolish trying to implement rules that are unenforceable unless they're willing to take that first step to a place no one really wants to go.

On your second point, I'm not even going to address the ridiculous sweeping generalisations you've made. You've come across as a sensible, intelligent chap until now. Try to do better.

Quick question, why do you think the people in China are so compliant to their government ruling in the way it does? Are they idiots? Inferior to us in the west? Why do they allow it to happen?

We're already seeing Chinese governmental methods spreading to Spain. An elderly woman who lives on the street I lived on for years was apprehended by police for taking her small dog out to do its business. Her daughter says that two police officers, carrying guns, approached her and demanded to see ID. She didn't have any. She wasn't even wearing outdoor shoes, she was wearing slippers as she always does when she nips out with the dog.

They held her for 40 minutes while they interrogated her, and threatened to take away her dog.

When her daughter posted about this on social media the response in general was telling. It was her fault. Why should she be "allowed" special privileges because she has a dog? The police should have taken her dog.

In Madrid the authorities are using drones to monitor the population. Just as they do in China. 

All it takes for people to accept the unacceptable is a little bit of fear and panic. What would have resulted in uproar a month ago is now perfectly fine. But now that we're all shitting ourselves (with no toilet roll) we're happy to hand absolute power to the very government we wouldn't have trusted at all a few weeks back.

I'm confident we won't see that level of governing here, but to claim that anyone who is concerned about how governments are dealing with this situation is a David Icke fan who reads fiction shows a startling level of naivety.

11 hours ago, Chunk said:

But what about where that personal choice directly impacts other people? What's the difference between the government closing pubs because of the potential spread of Corona virus and the government banning smoking in public places because of the potential for cancer from passive smoking?

There are a lot of personal choices we all make that directly impact other people though, isn't there? Where do we draw the line? What's an arrest-worthy offence? For what it's worth, I didn't agree with the smoking ban in pubs. I believe it should have been the call of the landlords themselves. 

I don't smoke, and never have. It's a disgusting habit, and I would never frequent a pub where smoking is permitted. However, it should be the choice of the person who owns the business. If they wish to cut away a lot of their paying customers to allow smoking then that's on them.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

McDonalds has just announced the Monopoly promotion has been postponed until a future date. Can things get any worse?

Yeah. The promotion could run, and you could win a European city break whilst travel is off and borders are closed.