Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Our business is on it’s arse (as are most). All sporting events we were working on have gone, and now we’re about to start laying people off and reducing salaries at best. The longer sport is off, the more chance it goes under completely (or we start from scratch when things get better, basically). 

Horrendous scenario but sure the majority of folk are in the same boat in one way or another. Shitting myself now.

• Paid Members

This is what I mean. Unless you are in an industry which is affected in a positive way, which isn’t a huge amount, people are going to lose their jobs or at best have to have some period of SSP or without some pay. Macron said they will invest €30 billion into France to ensure no business goes under. Boris has condemned most to closure

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Naaaa wait until it happens to me. Then people will be wishing the forum crashed for weeks again

However, sorry to hear that. My mate has type 1 and been told the same. He’s devastated 

If the country goes on lockdown you're getting banned.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

If the country goes on lockdown you're getting banned.

To be fair, because of what i do they will be no lockdown for me even if I get it so I’ll be moderately behaved. I’ve even had to have some holiday cancelled due to the increase in work 

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

To be fair, because of what i do they will be no lockdown for me even if I get it so I’ll be moderately behaved. I’ve even had to have some holiday cancelled due to the increase in work 

Podcasts about Disney that popular yeah?

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Podcasts about Disney that popular yeah?

Jokes aside we just recorded one discussing the financial impacts of the park closures and cinema delays and made the bold prediction they will be bought out before the end of the year.

In my real life job though we’ve seen ridiculous demand of our services because of the increase in home working.  

At the moment it's still all go for me with my job in Primark, however if today and the weekend gone is any indication, the next few weeks are set to be very bumpy. I spent 4 1/2 of my 6 1/2 hour shift doing nothing but tidying and putting out returns due to the morning delivery already been put out before I even started and having next to nothing in terms of additional stock in the stockrooms to fill gaps in some areas and an overstock of product that is already filled to the brim on the shop floor. 4 of the stores in Liverpool 1 are already on shutdown including the Apple and Disney stores

Just getting messages from colleagues who were quarantined too but due to having contact with someone who turned out to be negative for the virus. They are being let out after 6 days. I doubt the officials will come to see us just yet as we were due to flying and considering many of the cases here are transmission in planes they will be extra careful. Annoying but understandable.

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Macron said they will invest €30 billion into France to ensure no business goes under. Boris has condemned most to closure

Fortunately those affected can easily go and work for one of those French businesses that have been... Oh, wait. Right.

As much as we kick off at our company it's somewhat reassuring that I work somewhere that pays full pay on sick pay from day one until the ninth month. Unfortunately this leads to people abusing the sickness policy at the best of times so I expect the office to be decimated within a month.

• Paid Members

The events company I also work for is looking like we’ll have to close our doors. I’m a bit massively gutted. 

For those who don’t quite understand the significance of what Boris said, in a nutshell...

- Govt have not banned venues/events/gatherings.
- They have strongly warned people not to attend venues/events/gatherings.
- Those venues will now lose their customers, will have to lay off staff and will lose money spent on product, refund customers and PR etc. Many will have to shut down (including ours).
- But because the PM hasn’t ordered them to close (only people not to attend) they can’t claim losses via insurance.
- Making Britain great again etc etc.

Sorry, whilst I truly appreciate that people are very ill and dying due to the severity of the virus, the idea of simultaneously cutting the legs out from small businesses with a calculated attack on them/protection of insurance companies is next level shit housery. The fucking job centre is going to be heaving, a large public gathering some would say. Sigh.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

- Govt have not banned venues/events/gatherings.
- They have strongly warned people not to attend venues/events/gatherings.
- Those venues will now lose their customers, will have to lay off staff and will lose money spent on product, refund customers and PR etc. Many will have to shut down (including ours).
- But because the PM hasn’t ordered them to close (only people not to attend) they can’t claim losses via insurance.
- Making Britain great again etc etc.

It's disgusting but sadly unsurprising from an inhumane government. 

I'm so worried now. The repercussions of this are potentially catastrophic. A high number of deaths, economic crisis, poverty- christ this could take decades to recover from. 

• Paid Members

Since posting that I have just found out a very close relative died this morning. She was in her 50’s, had a load of underlying health issues and walked around with an oxygen mask/tank for the past 3 months.
She was in hospital for the past 2 weeks, but they sent her home yesterday. She told them she didn’t feel well enough to go home, but either way they sent her home. She was found on the floor in her home this morning, but we don’t know the exact cause yet.

Whilst I’m still very raw to the news and will likely play a role in sorting out the next stages, including working out what to do about family gatherings/funeral etc, I can’t help but fear she was sent home as a reaction to what’s going on with the virus, either making space/freeing resources or fear that she could end up being a carrier due to her health issues. Fuck knows, but it’s shit. All very fucking shit.

Mods - sorry if this isn’t in the right thread, I typed it out whilst angry, feel free to move if you wish etc.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi