Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Hopefully they look at running some repeats of Flying Doctors or Sons and Daughters to give us that authentic day off school feel.

If A Country Practice comes on I'm jumping off the aqueduct.

• Paid Members

So yeah. What do you do when you’ve decided to stay indoors and reduce contact with the outside world, and then your girlfriend (who is considered “high risk” as she has asthma) invites her parents and their dog round for dinner at the weekend?

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members

Notice on the bus to work says the timetables are changing from Monday. Hopefully I'll still be able to make it in and back if we're still open. 

Our union recommended to the company that we become an emergency services aid. I quite liked the idea of breaking in back doors and putting a siren on my van but the overwhelming feeling in our office was people not wanting to get close to people, because delivering parcels and delivering care packages are so different like. 

Please don't take this response as a defense for those abhorrent comments and actions in your post Zeb but it's actually happening in reverse in Asia.

I think I mentioned that a couple of flights from Europe, one from London in particular had Vietnamese carriers on who were flagged immediately upon returning. Some Brits caught it from her and others it was likely from what I've read might had already had it too. I've read so many different reports i'm not sure.

Anyway the local media has done a very good job of essentially blaming British people especially for bringing the virus back into Vietnam and spreading it everywhere as they traveled around. This also included fabricated stories about one young backpacker "on the run" when actually he had only been in the country for a few days and moved on. 

Then with mandatory mask wearing in place in crowded places a lot of the local media and online commentators have been labeling westerners as "dirty dogs" for not wearing a mask when it's mostly tourists who are not doing so as they haven't been told yet because there are no signs or warnings anywhere and the local bobbies can't really be bothered. So "foreigners don't care and try to make us sick" has been the nationalistic rhetoric here even though in a lot of the photos there are plenty of locals doing the same. 

This has led to foreigner bans in restaurants, hotels, gyms and even reports of gangs of Vietnamese men trying to kick anyone not Vietnamese out of public parks. My colleagues who are not locked up are being treated pretty shit by people who know they live here and should understand they are as likely to have the virus as the next person. 

Thankfully there have been no violent incidents reported yet, however that's likely as most people are not out getting drunk and looking for a fight right now. However the aftermath genuinely scares me that there's going to be rising nationalism leading to racism here. Before the only racism would be stupid things that are easy to brush off, comments about weight, stealing women from locals and It used to be that unless you irked someone with violent tendencies you were quite safe from physical attack, however i'm not sure that will be true anymore. I hope not. 

It's sad that when there is a situation, people turn against each other globally and start pointing fingers.