Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Members

I woke up Wednesday with an uncomfortably high temperature, and a sore throat, so the wife immediately put us all on lockdown. We took our five year old out of school that day so looks like he's at home for quite a while yet. I felt better by the afternoon and haven't felt at all ill since but we did a pretty sensible food shop on Monday and have plenty of essentials. Also, me and the lad had a brilliant time yesterday turning his bedroom into a massive railway for Thomas and Percy and everyone. Looking forward to today's Hotwheels drag racing heats.

Supermarkets were obviously empty but there's a little Polish deli on my street that has fresh bread, milk, pasta. Even toilet rolls! I'm happy giving them as much trade as I can while they're still open.

We're self employed doing custom work and take 50% up front, and fortunately had a very big order a couple of weeks ago that should see us through in the short term. Not sure what happens next. We can work from home and online but have closed our shop for the foreseeable in line with a lot of our neighbors.

I'm worried for my nan who is nearly 90. She's basically housebound but I know she's bound to have one of my idiot cousins visit with their kids.

Biggest choker in this is that my uncle's funeral is next Friday (unrelated, aggressive cancer) and it's looking like it's going to be restricted to immediate family. Really upsetting for all of us but unfortunately it's probably the right thing to do. There is talk of a celebration of his life once this is over which actually sounds great to me.

2 hours ago, quote the raven said:

I was asked to do this, the GP quite rightly refused and said if we have to do this for everyone we wont see any one and be writing notes all day. They have thrown it back to my work and said if they produce a letter they will simply stamp it. 

I have emailed that to HR and again awaiting response. 

Luckily her GP has said he will do a rolling sick note for her. All other trusts are following advice from the government except a few. Fuck them. 

• Paid Members

I was meant to go to Paris this week, it became pretty clear by the end of last week that it wasn't happening. Made the call officially on Saturday, and just spent the week in London. 

The speed and scale of change has been terrifying, and I'm not naturally a panicker or a worrier at all. Seeing things go from slight concern to panic stations, from "sensible social distancing" to seeing all the major museums and galleries and so on in London shut their doors. Gatwick Airport was the quietest I've ever seen it, and a really bizarre atmosphere.

Got back to Jersey last night, had to go through a queue at customs that wouldn't normally be there, in order to explain where we'd all been, and declare if we'd experienced symptoms. That was at around 20.30. By midnight, they declared that anyone entering the island would have to self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days. So that's fucked all aspects of my life - I'm in a long-distance relationship, and she was due to come over here next weekend, that's obviously not happening any more. I was meant to go back to London to see her in April, that's off the cards, and the wrestling show we were due to go to has been postponed. We were due to go on our first proper holiday in May, to see Nick Cave in Stockholm, and he's cancelled the tour. It looks like all my bookings for April are cancelled. Practically everything at work cancelled, as the college is closed to students (but not staff), and our partner universities are mostly remote working and cancelling meetings. My biggest job for the next week was arranging several months' worth of travel for guest lecturers, that's all off the table now. Next biggest was arranging interviews for new applicants, no point doing that as there's no sense in arranging an interview for two weeks' time when we don't know what two weeks' time looks like. 

• Paid Members

These are the conclusions of SAGE (the body of scientists advising the government) from Monday, which are behind everything announced this week:

ETjTxXSWoAIj-UK.jpg.e407d0bef08af9e6f48eb0896c001746.jpg

ETjUszyWAAIK1ZE.jpg.2f43421ca0769f91528c8b933ff474be.jpg

So "we'll have turned the tide" in 12 weeks is, shall we say, a generous interpretation. We're probably looking at around 6 months of shutdowns spread in chunks over the year. And we'll probably have different areas under different restrictions/advice at a particular time.

("Reproduction number below 1" means on average somebody who gets it spreads it to less than one other person, which means the rate of spreading is slowing rather than increasing.)

Edited by JNLister

If anyone is getting bored at home, Football Manager 2020 is free to download and play til March 25th:

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/football-manager-2020-play-it-free-right-now

And reading subscription service Scribd is offering free access to over 1 million ebooks, newspapers and magazines for 30 days with no need for credit card details:

https://www.scribd.com/readfree?campaign=SkimbitLtd&ad_group=33330X911647Xd71be3655d12ce9a1a78c57a60702683&keyword=660149026&source=hp_affiliate&medium=affiliate

Wasn't the 12 week thing more based on they expect to have the antibodies testing available so those who haven't had any symptoms can check if they have had it already? I didn't read it as we were all going to be OK after 12 weeks or anything.

I think for the next 6 months they will enforce, let up and then enforce again certain restrictions.

I do think nobody will be allowed to travel abroad unless urgent for the next 12 months.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, DCW said:

If anyone is getting bored at home, Football Manager 2020 is free to download and play til March 25th:

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/football-manager-2020-play-it-free-right-now

When is Championship Manager 2 being made available, the version where Jan Molby gets a 10 rating every game and you can sign Neil Lennon from Crewe for fuck all and he's got 20s for everything? 

• Paid Members

My employer has had to let 28 staff go, and the rest of us are having our hours (and wages) reduced by 40% in the hopes that it'll be enough to save the rest of our jobs. My other half and I are going to have quite a few phone calls to have to see where we stand in terms of rent, bills etc. We can barely scrape through most months with me getting a full wage, so this could be a rough time. Animal Crossing is going to have to go on the back burner anyway.