Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

What a fucking cretin Johnson is. Heading in completely the wrong direction and he changes next to nothing.

The depressing thing is that the bastard tory's will probably win the next election, I keep pestering my wife to move to a different country but she is having none of it. I have Irish citizenship so keep pushing for a move over there. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

So, does any one have any experience living in another country whilst working for a UK company (i.e. what it means for tax)? As I am absolutely done with this country and its government.

I’m not spending the next two years of my life going in and out of these pissing lockdowns because the Tories did too little, too late to contain it, and I don’t fancy taking my chances with their “herd immunity” plan-but-definitely-not-the-plan due to medical reasons.

Any way you could register yourself to a UK address (family member, close friend etc) and then move abroad? If you're working for a UK company and your residence is UK based tax should realistically remain the same I believe. 

Had a agency contact me about moving to Spain for work, wish I'd got that bloody job now. Living with my mother isn't such a bad thing but it means I can hardly ever have anyone around to catch up or watch a movie or anything. All my mates working in the pub industry means that when they close at 10 now there's nowhere for us to go to catch up meaning I'll have a lot more days and evenings by myself until I'm back into work now. 

I realise it's such a petty gripe when everything is being done to limit cases and it's my age group where they've been rapidly increasing but when doctors, family and friends are telling me to not shut myself away while I'm feeling this down and the government are doing it for me instead, it is making it harder for me to cope day to day. 

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

Thanks, @Shy Dad. Yeah, was planning on keeping a UK address (most likely one of my parents’).

Had a look at some rentals the other night and would much rather pay what I’m paying in rent now but with better climes, pool, and beach in walking distance. I’ve also been learning Portuguese for the past year-and-a-bit as had friends who were supposed to be getting married there in May, but that’s been rescheduled to next year now.

Just now, David said:

Is Ireland your first choice? Or do you have anywhere else on the list?

Well Australia would be my first choice due to weather and life style but my wife is really reluctant to leave her parents so I floated Ireland as a possible to her. She is a doctor so visas should hopefully be ok to come by. I doubt she will ever go for it but I really despise this country. 

16 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Well Australia would be my first choice due to weather and life style but my wife is really reluctant to leave her parents so I floated Ireland as a possible to her. She is a doctor so visas should hopefully be ok to come by. I doubt she will ever go for it but I really despise this country. 

I ask because many of the more attractive countries in Europe, such as Scandinavian nations, are nowhere near as stringent on the pandemic as we seem to be. Lockdowns are a thing of the past in most of them, and mask-wearing isn't as prevalent as it is here in certain nations.

Basically, if anyone thinks we're lax on our approach, then there's a lot of nations that will give them the fear. 

Edited by David

58 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

In Antarctica there's not even your basic social distancing! Rule Britannia 🍻

In countries such as Sweden, Austria and Denmark there's more emphasis on social distancing than demanding everyone wear masks.

The general line of thought is that masks provide people with a false sense of security.