Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

The Star is almost impartial. They just try to figure out which way the wind is blowing and report that way. 

I'm on my way home from work at the moment, and in Manchester city centre people have decided they've got two nights to go on the lash properly before curfew starts. Carnage. 

I knew that Boris Johnson being Prime Minister would be an epic shitshow. The global pandemic has just thrown a lot of fuel on the fire. This government are so out of their depth, it’s scary. The Star being anti Boris Johnson doesn’t surprise me as much as the Daily Mail turning on him. Unfortunately, we’re stuck with this lot for another four years.

18 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Well Australia would be my first choice due to weather and life style but my wife is really reluctant to leave her parents so I floated Ireland as a possible to her. She is a doctor so visas should hopefully be ok to come by. I doubt she will ever go for it but I really despise this country. 

I've felt similarly. It's utterly draining to live in the UK right now. Around ten years ago I had the chance to move to New Zealand but I was younger and hugely daunted by the idea of that rather than excited. It meant leaving friends behind, family and effectively starting again. Had I known the UK would turn into the racist, self-destructive mess that it has I would have hopped on a plane and not looked back. 

It's hard to even imagine what kind of mess we'll be in come January, once the reality of a no deal Brexit becomes clear. I mean, you can imagine it but it's hard to accept that the one-two punch of that combined with COVID could even be happening. 

17 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

What you've described sounds like just Sweden.  Denmark have mandated masks, at the very least on public transport, and Austria were one of the maskiest maskers and put a lot of their success down to their massive use of masks.

Interesting. I personally haven't kept track of what other nations are doing really, but it seems times are changing. Austria had a policy of masks only required in banks, supermarkets and post offices.

I'll be experiencing Sweden first-hand pretty soon, as I have friends there and plan to spend a few months in Malmo before I go to Estonia. Should be interesting times.

4 hours ago, Ralphy said:

My Mh is very bad currently and I was hoping to re join a gym but I reckon they will close again soon so not going to bother

I froze my gym membership at the end of July for three months. I think the membership unfreezes at the start of November but I’m reluctant to go back with the new restrictions in place. You have to prebook a time slot, you have to arrive and leave wearing the same clothes and can’t shower afterwards. Worst of all, you’re limited to 55 minutes to workout. I normally like two hours in the gym (sometimes longer). Home workouts aren’t as good and I do miss the gym but I’m not happy with some of those restrictions.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, LCJ said:

I knew that Boris Johnson being Prime Minister would be an epic shitshow. The global pandemic has just thrown a lot of fuel on the fire. This government are so out of their depth, it’s scary. The Star being anti Boris Johnson doesn’t surprise me as much as the Daily Mail turning on him. Unfortunately, we’re stuck with this lot for another four years.

Unless they force him out and his replacement decides to have a general election. I think it's going to depend on who ends the year as US president. 

19 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting. I personally haven't kept track of what other nations are doing really, but it seems times are changing. Austria had a policy of masks only required in banks, supermarkets and post offices.

I'll be experiencing Sweden first-hand pretty soon, as I have friends there and plan to spend a few months in Malmo before I go to Estonia. Should be interesting times.

I honestly find it hard to imagine what life's like back in the UK as it's been so well handled here and although a slip up has caused a return to general mask wearing enforcement everything is open and running. I started off back in early 2020 being pissed off that I wouldn't get my 2 planned home visits this year (assuming it would go down to 1 and now it's 0) but now I have absolutely no interest in travelling home even next year which has been hard to convey to both my family and my wife who isn't British but loves visiting. 

7 minutes ago, simonworden said:

I honestly find it hard to imagine what life's like back in the UK as it's been so well handled here and although a slip up has caused a return to general mask wearing enforcement everything is open and running. I started off back in early 2020 being pissed off that I wouldn't get my 2 planned home visits this year (assuming it would go down to 1 and now it's 0) but now I have absolutely no interest in travelling home even next year which has been hard to convey to both my family and my wife who isn't British but loves visiting. 

Same here. I was due to go back home to the UK for a visit in early April, when it all properly kicked off. It's been a year since I've been home now and I haven't seen my folks since New Year which sucks, but I'm absolutely not travelling any time soon and they're the same. 

I think the earliest flights from my hometown to Prague are the 26th of October, but I expect them to be scrapped soon enough. 

It's a shame, as we have another due any day now but feel like we absolutely cannot risk anything and, logistically, the whole thing would be a nightmare anyway. 

12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The Star is almost impartial. They just try to figure out which way the wind is blowing and report that way. 

I'm on my way home from work at the moment, and in Manchester city centre people have decided they've got two nights to go on the lash properly before curfew starts. Carnage. 

I work at the Waterhouse on St. Peter's Square and for the last 3 weeks we've been battered with youth drinking cocktails from about 9.

We said yesterday that last night and tonight are gonna be big nights but then after that it'll just start at tea time.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I work at the Waterhouse on St. Peter's Square and for the last 3 weeks we've been battered with youth drinking cocktails from about 9.

We said yesterday that last night and tonight are gonna be big nights but then after that it'll just start at tea time.

I love the Waterhouse. It's got that really interesting layout.