Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Vamp said:

So first day back at the covid hub. Apparently track and trace is only reaching about 60-80% of the people it should be so we may end up taking that on within the next 2 weeks. 

World beating.

61% is the average of what it reaches, as you say. World beating. 

• Paid Members

How the heck do you avoid meeting other people while going about your life? 

I woke up this morning (4am) to a notification saying I've possibly been exposed to Covid while I was asleep last night (from about 9pm). I have no idea how long it takes these notifications to come through. Presumably somebody's passed within range of my Bluetooth while I was asleep, or it was while I was commuting home from work last night, on which case a lot of people have also been exposed to me. 

World leading? 

Is the idea we're supposed to turn the app off at home or suchlike? My bedroom is at the front of the flat ground floor level, anyone walking on the street outside will be in bluetooth range of my phone.

There'd be no way of automating that sort of thing though, if people were coming round your house you could be potentially exposed so it's not like the app could have "safe" locations where it wouldn't register other phones.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

Is the idea we're supposed to turn the app off at home or suchlike? My bedroom is at the front of the flat ground floor level, anyone walking on the street outside will be in bluetooth range of my phone.

There'd be no way of automating that sort of thing though, if people were coming round your house you could be potentially exposed so it's not like the app could have "safe" locations where it wouldn't register other phones.

My understanding (and this may be wrong) is that it's partly based around the amount of interaction you have. The longer you spend close to someone who has it, the more likely it is you'll pick it up. If you walk past someone on the street, that's much lower risk than if you're, say, sharing a car with someone. So people walking around outside shouldn't be long enough to be picked up.

6 minutes ago, Chris B said:

My understanding (and this may be wrong) is that it's partly based around the amount of interaction you have. The longer you spend close to someone who has it, the more likely it is you'll pick it up. If you walk past someone on the street, that's much lower risk than if you're, say, sharing a car with someone. So people walking around outside shouldn't be long enough to be picked up.

Especially when there’s a brick wall between you. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Yep, there's an explanation here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54250736

In simple terms, the app keeps a score between any two people who are near each other. Every time your phones are between 2 and 4 metres apart for five straight minutes, the app scores 150 points. If you're within two metres for five straight minutes, it scores 300 points. If the score adds up to 900 in the same day, the two people are considered as being in close contact for alert purposes.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JNLister said:

Yep, there's an explanation here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54250736

In simple terms, the app keeps a score between any two people who are near each other. Every time your phones are between 2 and 4 metres apart for five straight minutes, the app scores 150 points. If you're within two metres for five straight minutes, it scores 300 points. If the score adds up to 900 in the same day, the two people are considered as being in close contact for alert purposes.

One of the neighbours must have the app as well then. Bloody hell, talk about scaremongering.