Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Tommy! said:

The only complaint I have is a 3 tier system labelled medium, high & very high rather than low, medium & high as logic would dictate. 

There is no low risk with this pandemic at the moment. Hence the entire company still being restricted by the rule of six, 10pm pub closure, self isolation and quarantine if we travel abroad. I don't see how that isn't logical tbh.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's this. Especially combined with the fact that "Northern" (read traditionally Labour supporting) areas tend to be the ones that end up facing the harsher restrictions 

I think this is just paranoia. Exaggerated by hilarious political accounts for likes. We're in a northern, Labour area and aren't subject to any lockdown because our data is much lower than most. Ever since the website went live with the cases per postcode, it's been obvious that some of these areas have been rapidly increasing in cases.

I'm pleased they split it down sensibly yesterday because their catch all "Yorkshire and Humber" that they've used all along was too great when West Yorkshire is far worse affected than North or East. Fortunately it was separated.

19 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

My wife lost her sense of smell yesterday so went and got tested. Got a text just now and she’s tested positive. 

That's crap news fella, hope that she recovers quickly. 

My bro and nephew were tested yesterday so waiting on that. 

Regarding the Northern thing. Lancashire was very very lucky not to go Tier3 and I expect it will anyway in the coming weeks. Ive got some kind of communities meeting tonight with Lancashire based professionals as part of a wider group and everything points towards a wider lockdown imminently. 

Tier2 actually lifts some restrictions over local lockdown including the garden visitors. 

The northern problem is complex 

lots of tightly packed HMOs with poor insulation in poor built terraces, a sense of invincibility because they dont need to follow rules, emboldened by the Brexit vote, hence death of the redwall and also why social distancing and rule following is out the window. Most of Blackburn came to Preston when their local restrictions were introduced. Preston people still go to Blackpool, Manchester and Liverpool despite warnings and bans and fines as there's no one to police it and they know that. 

I think lots of people in Liverpool are planning to go Manchester over the weekend from what I'm hearing and thus there's no chance without full lockdown 

Beneath that, call centres and distribution centres for boohoo amazon etc, plus lots of manufacturers on a micro to medium scale actually based in old mills still, university students returning and you have a perfect storm for spreading the virus and is why things are not reducing. 

It's not necessarily only that no one cares, it's more that they want to stick it to the man, based on previous actions, even though the man is a virus and that virus could kill them. 

It really is the most bizarre thing to see up close. 

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

My wife lost her sense of smell yesterday so went and got tested. Got a text just now and she’s tested positive. 

Ah shit sorry to hear that. Good to hear she could get tested and find out quickly at least - you don't need hassle with that when you're worried as it is. Hope you guys are ok.

• Paid Members

I completed my anti body test yesterday. I dont think i did it in the most effective manner. So its a small test tube you fill once you stab yourself with the finger prick kit. I stabbed myself then spent a good 3 minutes trying to squeeze the blood into said small tube. Needless to say i got blood all over the place. 

Once that failed i picked a different finger and did the same. I got the tube full in the end.  I should hear back in 48 hours. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Ah man, that sucks, hopefully she gets the mildest of cases and you're all back to normal in a few weeks. Hope you're doing as ok as you can be in the circumstances!

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm pleased they split it down sensibly yesterday because their catch all "Yorkshire and Humber" that they've used all along was too great when West Yorkshire is far worse affected than North or East. Fortunately it was separated.

This has been bugging me for a while with Jersey's travel restrictions. We already have a "traffic light" system for other countries, and regions of the UK, and while up until very recently London was broken down into every local authority imaginable - so you could quite easily cross the street and move from a "green" to an "amber" location in the process - "Yorkshire and the Humber" was just one monolithic block, which isn't useful, and actually created a lot of anxiety when I was looking to travel to see my parents in a village in East Yorkshire, but it was being lumped in with the worst hit parts of West Yorkshire. Good news is it was changed before I travelled, bad news is that the East Riding & Humber region switched from green to amber while I was there, which means I'm now self-isolating all week. And now I just have two different traffic light systems to keep track of all the time!

In terms of local restrictions - I'm broadly in favour of lockdown measures, if they are effective in slowing the spread of the virus. Now that I have masks that I find comfortable to wear, I have no problem wearing one while out and about, I've got used to the changes in pubs, I can work remotely if necessary, and I'm used to the restrictions enough that I plan my life around them - just thinking selfishly, it's manageable. Where I have problems are, as ever, with the lack of communication or clear guidance from the government. 

There are areas that have been in localised lockdowns for months now with no real indication as to whether that's going to change, or whether it's working. There areas that have been under additional restrictions, and the spread hasn't slowed at all - so that looks to me like the restrictions quite clearly aren't working. So is it a case that the rate of infection would be even higher in those areas without the restrictions, is it that the restrictions don't work, or is it that they're in place less to slow the spread but more to manage the number of hospital beds expected to be in use? There might be grim answers involved for those questions, but any answers are better than none. 

The majority of restrictions are on the hospitality sector, and I've not really seen any evidence to suggest that these are areas causing a massive amount of infection. They are - for the most part - well managed, and under sufficient pressure to ensure that they manage things correctly, and one of the few environments where there are members of staff there to tell punters exactly how to behave and what they can and can't do.

Up until recently when the track and trace QR codes went up everywhere, pubs seemed to be the only place asking for my details or giving me a QR code to check-in with. So if there was any suggestion of a number of cases being tied to pubs, surely that would be a significant part of the reason? I've not checked in at work, I've not checked in on the train or on the bus, I've not checked in when I got a takeaway coffee at lunch, I've not checked in when I did my grocery shopping, I've not checked in when I went round my Mum's for tea, but I have checked in at the pub - so of course that's the only point where people would be traceable, surely? Yet even with that, there's a significantly lower rate of infection than in workplaces, schools, or universities.

• Paid Members

Cheers folks. She’s ok and has mild symptoms. I woke up with a rough feeling chest but don’t know if it’s covid or just worry!

She’s off for 10 days and I’m off for 14. See how it goes I guess!

7 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's this. Especially combined with the fact that "Northern" (read traditionally Labour supporting) areas tend to be the ones that end up facing the harsher restrictions while the Tories try to avoid upsetting the applecart in their own constituencies and heartlands. I suggested this to a friend on Facebook when Blackburn (Labour MP) was placed under stricter conditions than Darwen (Tory seat) even though they share a unitary authority and council, only to be promptly told by somebody to take my tinfoil hat off. 

There is definitely party politics in play. If you take the "Tees Valley" area it is made up of 5 unitary boroughs of Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Darlington, Stockton-on-Tees and Redcar & Cleveland. When the North East went into lockdown the Tees Valley area was not included in the local lockdown restrictions despite having a similar infection rate to the rest of the North East. The Tees Valley Mayor is the Conservative Ben Houchen (nephew of Keith Houchen - sorry @Keith Houchen).

A couple of weeks later the Tees Valley area was seeing a surge in cases which saw Hartlepool and Middlesbrough go into the same measures as the rest of the North East. Stockton, Darlington and Redcar & Cleveland avoided the same measures. The only common denominator is Hartlepool and Middlesbrough predominantly have a Labour MP and the other three areas predominantly have a Tory MP.  Here is an excerpt from the Teesside Evening Gazette

121528974_1407127726157699_4387865007415234745_o.png?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=FeaAF0AiCSAAX97P7z6&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=b0d9ee5cb8a4b0fe00fb2be34a33c78d&oe=5FABC145

All of the Tees Valley is now under Tier 2 lockdown rules after a massive spike in cases in Stockton and Redcar.

I don't believe that the latest measures are going to be anywhere near enough to stop the second wave. For me the only way it can be stopped is if we go into a 6 week complete lockdown with the exception of essential workers and close all borders. After six weeks reopen the borders and trace every single person that comes into the country by temperature and swab testing. Yes it will have an economic impact but we have no semblance of controlling the virus at the moment. The current tracing is system is beyond a joke and as long as the cronyism continues shit is going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Up until recently when the track and trace QR codes went up everywhere, pubs seemed to be the only place asking for my details or giving me a QR code to check-in with. So if there was any suggestion of a number of cases being tied to pubs, surely that would be a significant part of the reason? I've not checked in at work, I've not checked in on the train or on the bus, I've not checked in when I got a takeaway coffee at lunch, I've not checked in when I did my grocery shopping, I've not checked in when I went round my Mum's for tea, but I have checked in at the pub - so of course that's the only point where people would be traceable, surely? Yet even with that, there's a significantly lower rate of infection than in workplaces, schools, or universities.

I think you're giving them way too much credit if you think the decision making is anywhere near this data-led.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

There is no low risk with this pandemic at the moment. Hence the entire company still being restricted by the rule of six, 10pm pub closure, self isolation and quarantine if we travel abroad. I don't see how that isn't logical tbh

Which I acknowledged and you didn't quote, I assume selectively for some reason. To reiterate I understand why they have done it, that is very clear, and have no genuine concern or significant life effecting issue with it; it's just a personal point that irks me where a 3 tier system anywhere in life isn't low, mid, high or small, mid, large and uses "very" or another word for one extreme like huge or tiny.

Of all the things for you to pick up on I assumed what was intended as a lighthearted self deprecating point would be low on the list, but here we are. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Which I acknowledged and you didn't quote, I assume selectively for some reason.

No, not really. Just my point was only relevant to the first bit. 

I wasn't hugely disagreeing with you as as you said, you made the point yourself. Just that it is logical IMO.  No big argument.