Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

With Cineworld closing up until next Spring, our grand exalted leader has now come out told us all that we should go to the cinema, presumably in the early evening before the virus breaks loose at 10:01pm

”Work from home if you can, stay at home if you can...but go to the cinema, and definitely go to the pub, but you can’t hug your mum“

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Technical update via BBC:

[quote]

The problem is that the PHE developers picked an old file format to do this - known as XLS.

As a consequence, each template could handle only about 65,000 rows of data rather than the one million-plus rows that Excel is actually capable of.

And since each test result created several rows of data, in practice it meant that each template was limited to about 1,400 cases. When that total was reached, further cases were simply left off.[/quote]

1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

Is everyone still following the advice properly? I keep seeing and hearing people who are making their own rules as they find it safer than the gov rules. It is such a shower of shit and with no end in sight. 

That would largely depend on how you define "making their own rules up". I, and I like to think a few other sane-thinking people, social distance as much as possible and avoid any unnecessary contact with other people. Just because Johnson, or whoever else has the talking stick on a particular day, says it's ok to go to the pub or the cinema or congregate in groups of six random people doesn't mean it's compulsory to do so. Sure it's not perfect and I'd much prefer to be doing normal things but I'm more than happy to make short-term sacrifices for the greater good. Johnson has got some brass neck blaming the public for being "complacent about transmission" over summer, when his government made the moronic decision to send kids back to school, students back to university and hungry diners out to half-price pubs and restaurants all over a small window of time, rather than a gradual, phased easing to see how much transmission spiked.

• Paid Members

Doesn't an Excel Licence cost about a hundred quid? If so where has the rest of the hundreds of millions of pounds they invested into this system gone? 

37 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

where has the rest of the hundreds of millions of pounds they invested into this system gone? 

PlayStations and Netflix subs for the underworked tracers.

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Billions with a B.

That would appear to largely go to Serco et al.  The collating of the figures is done by the public body, who have already been disbanded, who appear to be using software that went out of mainstream support in 2009.

A fun game to play is what sort of centralised system could PHE have built for the nation with 12 billion quid?

I mean obviously there are lots of dependencies, but with the amount of time to deliver I can't understand how the solution is an excel sheet. Sounds like typical WAgile development. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Chili said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-10-06/rishi-sunak-suggests-musicians-and-others-in-arts-should-retrain-and-find-other-jobs

Thanks for telling me and few others on here that our professions are fucking meaningless Rishi. His record collection must be just a single from Travis.

It’s obviously raised the fury of actors, presenters, producers, comedians and artists of all kinds which has been beautiful to see. He’s so out of touch it hurts.

The local council in all their wonderful wisdom had minimal testing sites, now that things are getting worse, have decided to put one right behind a family members house. 

The access is a narrow arse street and they've plonked it on the car park of an active play center and park. 

No fucking sense at all. To top it off theres minimal signage and people who are coming for testing are stopping in the middle of the roads and using public transport too. 

It's a giant fucking shit show. 

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s obviously raised the fury of actors, presenters, producers, comedians and artists of all kinds which has been beautiful to see. He’s so out of touch it hurts.

@Chili

If either of you can point me to the part of the linked article or the accompanying video that he said that it would be much appreciated. I certainly can't see it anywhere. Seems his message is being deliberately misconstrued in bad faith here.

Edited by Chest Rockwell