Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

My mum's wondering how it's going to be. She's got a pub, it's the last one in her area. They had to introduce the new restrictions from yesterday because of where she is. 

1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

My mum's wondering how it's going to be. She's got a pub, it's the last one in her area. They had to introduce the new restrictions from yesterday because of where she is. 

Hope she gets through ok dude. I'm not particularly optimistic, but I'm not shitting meself until it's time. For us it's looking like using more staff to take less money, which is ok in the short term but ultimately a bit concerning.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Hope she gets through ok dude. I'm not particularly optimistic, but I'm not shitting meself until it's time. For us it's looking like using more staff to take less money, which is ok in the short term but ultimately a bit concerning.

Fortunately she got that grant at the start which helped her through being closed. It wouldn't surprise me if they restricted everything further during November when places can be a little quieter, and then started easing things towards Christmas as they know what a money spinner it can be. 

Just been told the council is bringing back a smaller version of the Covid hub from Monday.

There'd been rumblings but its changed from pure speculation that we might bring it back towards the end of the year to it launching again from Monday. I can't see why it would need to return under the current government restrictions. Something is up.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My belief is they will hold off until half term, but same outcome

My theory is that they'll try to do something resembling a lockdown in November when venues can traditionally be quieter, but then start easing things towards Christmas, tand see how things are looking before deciding whether to do the same again when it goes quiet in the new year. 

Half term would make sense, in the government's way of thinking. Lockdown for half term and the week before or after, and people can only complain about having to sort the kids out for one extra week. Of course, the sensible thing would be to say fuck it and just do 2 or 3 weeks right now, instead of waiting until the end of next month. But sense doesn't seem to have come into these plans very often at all over the last six months, so there's no reason to think it's suddenly going to start applying now. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Half term would make sense, in the government's way of thinking. Lockdown for half term and the week before or after, and people can only complain about having to sort the kids out for one extra week. Of course, the sensible thing would be to say fuck it and just do 2 or 3 weeks right now, instead of waiting until the end of next month. But sense doesn't seem to have come into these plans very often at all over the last six months, so there's no reason to think it's suddenly going to start applying now. 

Possibly not. A lot of schools now take 2 weeks off for October half-term, something some counties introduced last year, losing a week at another regular period in the year. That is why I think it seems the ideal time

• Paid Members

The numbers will dictate whether they can wait that long. They obviously think what they've done this week will slow it. Doesn't look at all likely to me. If it did slow it, then a brief lockdown over half term would make sense as schools are closed anyway and normally people would be out and about a lot with the kids. Yesterday's numbers will terrify them.

So the new tracing app doesn't let you tell it you've tested positive without entering a test result code, which results from the government survey-issued test don't provide. Of course.

So what do we think is the end game here? Does the government think we can simply eradicate this virus by doing what they're doing? Or are we all just biding our time until a largely untested and rushed vaccine arrives? 

I honestly can't see us doing the lockdown thing, even in short bursts, for much longer. At some point the money being given to people who have to stay home from work has to be paid back, and if the usual working and middle classes aren't working how the fuck can they hit us with the inflated tax rates to pay it all off?

I can't see any kind of long-term strategy from the cunts in charge.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

So what do we think is the end game here?

1 hour ago, David said:

I can't see any kind of long-term strategy from the cunts in charge.

I think to an extent you've correctly answered your own question. I don't think they know what their plan is to get through this and hoping for a magic bullet of a vaccine. 

If the rumours doing the rounds about Boris Johnson quitting in January are true (which I'm still dubious about), then it might be they are just trying to put a plaster over this and let the next government deal with it under new leadership, although I can't see how they'll do much better without a huge change in direction.