Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Jersey Covid press conference is in an hour's time. The usual gammon brigade are shouting about how we need to close the borders. We currently only have 16 cases.

The likely announcements, looking at internal government memos, are enforced mask wearing in shops etc. (currently it's only enforced on public transport), and further restrictions on travel - the one that's leaked thus far is that anyone coming from a "green" area (current regulation: test on arrival, no self-isolation) will have to isolate until they receive their test result, and take a follow-up test after 5 days. There seems to have been no consideration of the idea that people might visit for less than 5 days - which the majority of visitors to the island do - or guidelines as to how to approach that. Nor any real explanation about how, when or where we're meant to be tested.

Interesting information on Patrick Vallance, one of the governments "experts."

This whole fucking thing stinks, including the pharma space race that's taking place to be first with a vaccine.

The UK’s chief scientific adviser has a £600,000 shareholding in a drugs giant contracted to develop a Covid-19 vaccine for the Government, prompting claims of a potential conflict of interest.

Sir Patrick Vallance, who also chairs the Government’s expert advisory panel on vaccines, holds a deferred bonus of 43,111 shares in GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) worth £600,000 from his time as president of the multinational drug company, The Telegraph can reveal.

He has already cashed in more than £5 million worth of shares he received from the company during his tenure from 2012 until March 2018, when he became the Government’s chief scientific officer.

Accounts show he held 404,201 GSK shares when he left, worth ÂŁ6.1 million at current values.

In July, GSK and drugs multinational Sanofi agreed a deal with the UK Government to supply it with up to 60 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine, subject to final contract.

It has a similar deal with the US Government for an initial 100 million doses as part of Donald Trump’s Operation Warp Speed. 

Source: The Telegraph

3 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Bill Gates probably still has some Microsoft stock.  If I was setting up a tech company I'd consider him an expert in the field.

Considering that the government have got speculative orders in with just about every serious vaccine candidate maker this isn't the conflict of interest The Telegraph wants to paint it as/you believe it is/you don't believe it is but want people to bite and argue the toss about*

*delete as applicable.

If you think Bill Gates owning stock in Microsoft is in any way similar to this situation, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Bill Gates probably still has some Microsoft stock.  If I was setting up a tech company I'd consider him an expert in the field.

Considering that the government have got speculative orders in with just about every serious vaccine candidate maker this isn't the conflict of interest The Telegraph wants to paint it as/you believe it is/you don't believe it is but want people to bite and argue the toss about*

*delete as applicable.

This is no more alarming then the Tory MP’s other financial interests like the Cheltenham festival or companies that will benefit from Brexit and hedge funds. Otherwise how else do you expect them to make decisions unless it’s going to impact their outside interests.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

How else do you expect them to make decisions unless it’s going to impact their outside interests.

We are fine with outside interests as long as decisions that benefit them don't harm the fucking country as a whole, but "we" might not fit everyone's opinions.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, seph said:

We are fine with outside interests as long as decisions that benefit them don't harm the fucking country as a whole, but "we" might not fit everyone's opinions.

Case in point: as mentioned above, going to Serco, Deloitte, and G4S for testing when we already had the NHS. They have people on the boards of those companies. Every time the Tories get in, G4S/Group 4 get contracts, and it's usually a shitshow, whether it's transporting prisoners, working security for the Olympics, or running testing centres.

• Paid Members

So I've installed the "NHSerco" app, and it asks me to scan the bit so little QR code whenever I enter somewhere, but not to scan it when I leave? So I've nipped to the bookie's for my uncle, and unless I scan in somewhere else it's going to decide I was there until midnight tonight. This now theoretically means if somebody scans in there at 8pm who then tests positive it's going to decide that I've been exposed to it and tell me to get tested*? Surely it should expire after, say, an hour or two? 

*It won't, because I'm probably the only person that's going to bother scanning the code with the possible exception of the staff. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

So I've installed the "NHSerco" app, and it asks me to scan the bit so little QR code whenever I enter somewhere, but not to scan it when I leave? So I've nipped to the bookie's for my uncle, and unless I scan in somewhere else it's going to decide I was there until midnight tonight. This now theoretically means if somebody scans in there at 8pm who then tests positive it's going to decide that I've been exposed to it and tell me to get tested*? Surely it should expire after, say, an hour or two? 

*It won't, because I'm probably the only person that's going to bother scanning the code with the possible exception of the staff. 

It's meant to be a combination of site location and Bluetooth data exchange with other app users

The scan on entry is primarily to trigger them to tell the site if you get a positive test so the site can inform any non app users they have details of, so I've been led to believe. It's also so they can inform staff who shouldn't have the Bluetooth exchange of the app active if they are behind a screen while they are working (like in a bookies or bank) but may still want to test or isolate. 

It also helps build basic geomaps and correlation of high transmission areas, be thay of an industry, area or social & economical trend to influence policy. 

In truth it's just poorly thought out and executed, but that's the intention I believe. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

It's meant to be a combination of site location and Bluetooth data exchange with other app users

The scan on entry is primarily to trigger them to tell the site if you get a positive test so the site can inform any non app users they have details of, so I've been led to believe. It's also so they can inform staff who shouldn't have the Bluetooth exchange of the app active if they are behind a screen while they are working (like in a bookies or bank) but may still want to test or isolate. 

It also helps build basic geomaps and correlation of high transmission areas, be thay of an industry, area or social & economical trend to influence policy. 

In truth it's just poorly thought out and executed, but that's the intention I believe. 

The whole thing has been an exercise in "try and look like we're doing something". I'll see what happens. I've got a friend who stayed home all day the other day and got 10 notifications that he'd been exposed, so he sounds to have decent range on his Bluetooth. 

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I've got a friend who stayed home all day the other day and got 10 notifications that he'd been exposed, so he sounds to have decent range on his Bluetooth. 

That's a big open question I believe, how reliable the Bluetooth logging is that people have genuinely been in contact. 

In addition to the aforementioned staff in banks and supermarkets behind glass who I'm sure won't all switch off there's a question on it picking up people in other cars when in traffic or office or meeting rooms where basic room dividers are in place. 

There's also people who leave their phone somewhere, a desk or by the coffee machine in an office, then fuck off for a bit. It's logging someone being near the phone and not the person so gets everyone getting close to the phone and not "social distance" from the device rather than the person. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Isn’t there also an issue for people living in flats? It doesn’t distinguish between floors so thinks everyone is in the same room

Depending on the building construction again it's an open point still as I understand it. The app won't care if someone is in range vertically rather than horizontally. 

It certainly would have been a problem in my old house with the people next door where we both had a sofa on the same adjoining wall so were technically 6" of concrete apart for most of a weekday evening but never met face to face more than twice a year.