Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

I was supposed to be getting married today but we’ve postponed it until March (which is looking doubtful now, too). Although yesterday, a few miles down the road from me, a couple went ahead with their wedding of 120 guests which swiftly got shut down by the police and the venue got fined £10,000. 

Telford for you. 

• Paid Members

Question someone may be able to answer as the Internet is fucking useless. 

I'm struggling with my aspergers and wearing a mask (I have since March, the idea of something on my skin and around my mouth and nose just causes me to go into a complete sensory overload) and I've applied for one of those sunflower passes that excuse you from wearing a mask on public transport. I don't know if I'll use it (most my journeys are short enough and as long as I have music on I can kinda zone out) but does anyone know if it works/applies for the new rules about walking around pubs/restaurants to use the bathroom etc. I've already got a serious anxiety issue with public restrooms due to people being around them, people too close in a cramped space, the sound of the stupid air dryers etc, I had a case last night where I struggled with even using the room with a mask because everything was just in full overload. 

Does it cover it or am I more likely to just have to hold my piss until I get home? 😂

For reference I'm somewhat okay with wearing a mask indoors to places as long as they can sit me down quickly so I can get the thing straight back off and then attempt to never leave my seat. It has meant I can't do long shopping stretches or going into most stores though which is proving difficult. I'm almost glad with teaching and supply work I can take it off once I'm in a classroom now. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lorne Malvo said:

@Shy Dad I don't know the actual answer, but just from personal experience there was a woman down my local last night with an exemption card who didn't wear a mask and the gaffer seemed happy enough with that.

Thanks Lorne, I only go to two or three pubs who know me and are like my regular places to go so it may be that case too, only asked as I kinda ended up nearly arguing with the manager of one of them last night as I didn't have a card with me at the time, forgot to put the mask on when going for a piss and words were said about me breaking the rules. All got sorted and calmed down but put a bit of a dampener on my evening when having to explain my Aspergers again and again as well as my issues remembering things. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

In that situation surely you don't need to explain anything. "Sorry guv, slipped my mind". Job done. 

Was more I think the manager running into the toilet in a blind panic shouting I needed to be wearing a mask probably startled me like a dog with fireworks. At that point it can go a multitude of ways, none usually helpful. 

No guarantees but if you're finding a mask overwhelming in any way then I'd recommend experimenting with different types. If you haven't already tried it, you might be surprised at the difference it can make.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

No guarantees but if you're finding a mask overwhelming in any way then I'd recommend experimenting with different types. If you haven't already tried it, you might be surprised at the difference it can make.

Absolutely Zeb, I'm trying some new cotton ones tomorrow to see if their less pull doesn't hurt as much 

• Paid Members

As I pointed out to my daughter the other day as she was twisting the strings until they were digging into her skin, the masks are a moisture barrier, they don't need to be airtight against your skin.

I've got a couple of neoprene (I think) ones that have a vertical wire going from chin to nose so that it holds a curved shape and leaves a gap under my nostrils and in front of my lips. Wearing it feels more like one of these.....

scorpion.jpg

• Paid Members

I found these to be a great addition. The add a little space between your mouth and the mask, not too much to stop it being well sealed, but enough to make a difference comfort wise. I really recommend them (not these in particular, but just as an idea of ones I bought)

4FE4943F-69E1-4173-9CA4-D7DA29CCFBBD.png

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Same - my first exposure to long-term mask wearing was on a trip over to London in August, when temperatures were in the mid-30s and it was torturous having to wear one on the bus, train, in the airport, and on the flight, all adding up to a couple of hours of constant wear. 

On trying out different masks since, I've realised that the cotton masks I was using the first time were a little too tight, and being dark coloured were probably absorbing too much heat. I've picked up some nicer ones that are more comfortable, and if it starts to get too much during a long journey, I will swap to a clean mask - either between trains, or while stopping for a glass of water, or whatever.