Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Paraphrasing Stephen Bush of the New Statesman, one of the big problems is the government views the situation as "We can't support jobs that are only viable because of the furlough scheme" but the obvious counter is "You should be supporting jobs that are only unviable during the COVID restrictions."

58 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Conservative party in sticking it to Merseyside shocker. 

Yep. I realise this could sound like the ramblings of a flat earther or a Bournemouth councillor, but I honestly thought given how the tories hate Liverpool and Johnson had to issue an apology after what he said about the place, they thought “We’re never going to get their votes so let’s fuck them over”

Edited by Keith Houchen

This new tiered system is an absolute joke man. No one knows where they stand and it was only 3 weeks ago he stood there and said this new system he put in place would absolutely work and be the way to bring numbers down. Whereas they haven't gone down they have continued to increase. 

It's just so pathetic them swapping and changing the rules we are to abide by and live our lives by. At this stage i have 0 faith or confidence in what he's saying and doing anymore 

17 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

This new tiered system is an absolute joke man. No one knows where they stand and it was only 3 weeks ago he stood there and said this new system he put in place would absolutely work and be the way to bring numbers down. Whereas they haven't gone down they have continued to increase. 

It's just so pathetic them swapping and changing the rules we are to abide by and live our lives by. At this stage i have 0 faith or confidence in what he's saying and doing anymore 

People have a duty to behave themselves in an responsible manner. For whatever reason the rules haven’t worked in Liverpool. People were given the options to be responsible but that hasn’t happened. I’m not sure that the behaviour has been any worse in Liverpool than elsewhere but the amount of posts I see on social media from people that flatly refuse to follow the most basic rules is really frustrating, more so when the previous ‘punishments’ are now getting implemented.  

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

This new tiered system is an absolute joke man. No one knows where they stand

It seems pretty obvious to me. The press release clearly stated which areas form part of tiers 2 and 3 and what the further restrictions are for each tier. I thought it was unusually clear.

8 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Jesus fucking wept.  So Tier 3 is the base level of Tier 3 and there's premium DLC.

I can't decide if the extra closures available to local authorities are an attempt to involve them to stave off some recent criticism or an attempt to pass the blame when gyms, salons, etc are closed down. Maybe a win-win, actually. 

3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It seems pretty obvious to me. The press release clearly stated which areas form part of tiers 2 and 3 and what the further restrictions are for each tier. I thought it was unusually clear.

I can't decide if the extra closures available to local authorities are an attempt to involve them to stave off some recent criticism or an attempt to pass the blame when gyms, salons, etc are closed down. Maybe a win-win, actually. 

Well dude i live in St Anne's a town just outside of Blackpool. I watched the broadcast with Boris and tried to look on the gazette website and via google search what tier we are going to be in and nothing came up........UNTIL about 20 minutes or so this article was tweeted via the gazette 
https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/health/lancashires-new-covid-restrictions-confirmed-strong-hint-tougher-measures-are-way-3001123

On that article it states until only a couple of hours ago THEY weren't clear what Tier they were going to be in and were having conversations/discussions up until the final hour but what is more confusing/frustrating/unsettling is in the News article title it says there are strong hints that tougher measures and changes are on it's way and yet again more restrictions could very well be brought in.

Personally dude and it might be down to my bi polar and ADHD which makes it this way for me. As a whole i really struggle with change and with the entire way we can live and run our lives being swapped and changed around every 3/4 weeks it is really driving me into a manic and unstable frame of mind.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Personally dude and it might be down to my bi polar and ADHD which makes it this way for me. As a whole i really struggle with change and with the entire way we can live and run our lives being swapped and changed around every 3/4 weeks it is really driving me into a manic and unstable frame of mind.

Yeah unfortunately I think this is a personal problem for you to deal with. Because the rules absolutely should be changing dynamically and regularly depending on what's going on.

I think the system looks pretty decent on the face of things. Sets out a framework for people to be able to feel like there is some transparency and understanding whilst still allowing things to change on a localised basis. I think it's much clearer than the previous threat level rating.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

The only complaint I have is a 3 tier system labelled medium, high & very high rather than low, medium & high as logic would dictate. 

I understand the argument it makes it seem to have more impact but it's one of those little things that annoy me, like asking for a large coffee and them asking if you mean 'grande' because small medium & large isn't "fun" enough. 

I'm not sure this is any better or worse than whatever claptrap came before it, as I've frankly stopped taking that much notice. The country's been on a slippery slope towards Mad Max wastelands since the day Johnson obnoxiously stood by Cummings, proving beyond any doubt that this government will put its own interests ahead of the nation's wellbeing. With that focal point of authority squandered, everyone's now either doing their best by their own logic, or sticking two fingers up at the whole business.

• Paid Members

It's this. Especially combined with the fact that "Northern" (read traditionally Labour supporting) areas tend to be the ones that end up facing the harsher restrictions while the Tories try to avoid upsetting the applecart in their own constituencies and heartlands. I suggested this to a friend on Facebook when Blackburn (Labour MP) was placed under stricter conditions than Darwen (Tory seat) even though they share a unitary authority and council, only to be promptly told by somebody to take my tinfoil hat off.