Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Stopped off at the barbers on the way home from work. I was sat in the chair and happened to glance sideways to see what was going on outside. There was a QR code taped to the window, but I'd taken my glasses off so I couldn't read it. I asked the barber if it was the track and trace code, and he sighed "oh... yeah". I said I'd scan it on my way out, to which he replied "I wouldn't bother, it's been there a while now and I haven't seen a single person use it yet". I wasn't really up for an argument at that point (or couldn't be arsed spending the next few weeks walking around looking like even more of a knob than usual after an encounter with an irate barber) so I didn't say anything else, but surely to Christ he should be telling people to scan it before they enter the shop, or at least have it taped to the door where customers will actually see it. Track and trace in general might be questionable at best, but it's even less use to anyone if nobody's bothering to use it. 

58 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Stopped off at the barbers on the way home from work. I was sat in the chair and happened to glance sideways to see what was going on outside. There was a QR code taped to the window, but I'd taken my glasses off so I couldn't read it. I asked the barber if it was the track and trace code, and he sighed "oh... yeah". I said I'd scan it on my way out, to which he replied "I wouldn't bother, it's been there a while now and I haven't seen a single person use it yet". I wasn't really up for an argument at that point (or couldn't be arsed spending the next few weeks walking around looking like even more of a knob than usual after an encounter with an irate barber) so I didn't say anything else, but surely to Christ he should be telling people to scan it before they enter the shop, or at least have it taped to the door where customers will actually see it. Track and trace in general might be questionable at best, but it's even less use to anyone if nobody's bothering to use it. 

On this point, I've played 7 a side since this was introduced. Out of the 14 that play, and countless others, I have seen a tiny amount scan it, and/or wear masks in the building bits.

My phone wouldn't download the app, so I asked if they wanted me to fill in a manual form to be told they didn't have any.

It's completely unenforceable. 

1 hour ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I said I'd scan it on my way out, to which he replied "I wouldn't bother, it's been there a while now and I haven't seen a single person use it yet".

There's no real benefit to him in making people scan in. If he gets flagged as being in close contact with someone who might be infected, he's going to have to close for two weeks. Considering he's probably lost plenty of money by being shut for months, the last thing he wants to do is have to close down again. And who says it'd be just once? You can just imagine him self-isolating for two weeks, re-opening, and getting flagged again in short order.  

31 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

It's completely unenforceable. 

It's enforceable, but if nobody is auditing compliance nothing will get done. Pre-COVID-19 people who believe in civil liberties would probably have been wholly against giving the likes of Johnson the kind of draconian powers he's got at present, but when you see self-entitled twats like this acting the way they you have to wonder if more draconian powers are needed to stop people being selfish, clueless twats.

Well that was fun. Northern Lockdown looks very imminent, could be as soon as days, Lancashire to be at least tier 3 shortly. Main spread areas HMO's, Schools and shops, the areas where we cant affect due to government redlines are highest, hence hospitality getting a kicking.  Just seen Keir Starmer has called for a circuit breaker. Hello March, again

On 5Live they were asking about the QR codes and how it works because you only scan it once, not once entering and once leaving. So if you go in in the morning and scan it, then leave, and in the afternoon someone who turns out to have COVID scans in, why would you get a notification even if you hadn’t actually had any contact whatsoever?

The guy said that with the QR codes, if X amount of positive cases scan into the same place within a certain time, everyone who also scanned in to there within a certain time frame will get a notification saying “a place you’ve recently been to has been flagged as a potential COVID hotspot so keep and eye out for symptoms”. 

It won’t actually tell you to self isolate or get tested. Only if you’ve been in direct contact with a positive case, not in the same place. 

He said there are two types of notification. One to get tested/self isolate when you’ve come in direct contact with someone, and one to keep an eye out for symptoms if you’ve scanned the same QR code that a certain amount of positive cases also scanned. 

• Paid Members

Just had notification of my second test. It clashes with a job interview, is in a drive-through testing centre despite the fact I don't drive, and rather than book me for a test at the centre five minutes' walk from my front door, they've booked me at one that will require me to walk into town, catch a bus there and a bus back, all while I'm supposed to be self-isolating. Really phenomenal work all round.

• Paid Members

I can't remember where I read it, but one of the news reports about the new restrictions made mention of an area of China where they're testing 5,000,000 people in the next fortnight because they've had 12 cases in the last couple of weeks. 

I know that like everything, this will come to an end, but it just feels completely fucking hopeless at the moment. I've been stuck inside for nearly 8 months now, it feels like it's never going to end. My mental health has been pretty robust through it all but seeing it get worse again has really made me feel like this is just going to be endless. I've got used to having to go to medical appointments and feel less on edge going to the hospital but I will be admitted in November to give birth and I am dreading what it will be like by then. The hospital that shares a site with the one I'll be admitted to has just had an outbreak on a cancer treatment ward, it's just awful.