Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

Last year, I stopped by the workshop of a mate who's a tailor. He listens to LBC while he works, so I caught a bit of it. 

It sounds like how I imagined the last days of Weimar Germany would've done (in English, obvs).

• Paid Members

Displaying symptoms so I am self isolating while my test results come back - fair certain I dont have it, but you do what you need to.

Agreed to work from home, but my employer outsources I.T. and I've been waiting since 8am to be set up on the remote working systems. Still sat here, and my shift finishes at 4pm. Bloody Hell.

At the moment, to use his own phrase from the Brexit fiasco, Johnson is proving to be an expert at "dither and delay". You didn't need to be Mystic Meg to know there was going to be a second wave of infections, since it was being talked about long before we even came out of the first lockdown. So why do we seemingly have no plans whatsoever? Plans for localised lockdowns and appropriate financial aid for affected areas should have been decided on ages ago. It's pretty straightforward, r goes above 1, take immediate action. No protracted discussions and negotiations over several days letting things get worse, just get on with it. 

Edited by Tamura

So now the police will have access to the track and trace data (but only in specific and limited way - which I am sure we can all trust)

Something something Orwell

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-granted-access-to-details-of-people-told-to-self-isolate-by-test-and-trace-12106988

That's just killed any chance of the track & trace app working

6 hours ago, courageous said:

So now the police will have access to the track and trace data (but only in specific and limited way - which I am sure we can all trust)

Something something Orwell

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-granted-access-to-details-of-people-told-to-self-isolate-by-test-and-trace-12106988

That's just killed any chance of the track & trace app working

Surely theirs a big flaw in the system which may have been discussed before that if I just leave my phone at home they have no way to track or trace me either before contact or after? I do agree people should isolate upon contact but this seems to leave a big hole in process if I can look as if I am staying at home.

4 hours ago, simonworden said:

Surely theirs a big flaw in the system which may have been discussed before that if I just leave my phone at home they have no way to track or trace me either before contact or after? I do agree people should isolate upon contact but this seems to leave a big hole in process if I can look as if I am staying at home.

I think of all the items the average person has on them day to day, a mobile phone is one of the most common and easiest to purpose. If I go for a walk, I'll usually just take keys and phone, not my wallet. The app concept is fine, but it's been staggeringly badly developed and implemented, failing to cater for thousands of scenarios and everyday situations. There's a 90% rule in coding; SERCO haven't even catered for 10%.

The main other option I can think of is custom wearables, but these need manufacturing and automated data collection instead of manual checking in. Then you start getting really Orwellian, essentially tracking all your citizens all the time remotely. And then there's possible applications like remote temperature testing, which means you're recording all your citizens' vitals as well. Your data recording triggers need to be even more specific and comprehensive - if I go down to my shed gym at the end of the garden and my body temp gets high enough on the cross trainer, does it think I have Covid for 15 minutes?

The cynic in me thinks it's another way to gather sellable personal data, but then the interrogator in me realises the amount of data being collected would be prohibitively massive.

6 hours ago, simonworden said:

Couldn't you just take your phone everywhere but turn off your Bluetooth / GPS / that "contact Tracing" bit?