Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

15 hours ago, quote the raven said:

How far are we lagging behind the likes of Spain and France, Germany in our testing?

It’s fast looking like they didn’t have enough lab techs to process them. Something that must have been known about surely 

Wonder how many of them recently upped sticks to other parts of Europe within a short space of time for some reason.

Things have gotten a lot worse here in the Czech Republic, particularly in Prague. 

We missed the worst of it initially, thanks to the closing of borders, mandatory mask wearing and other measures, but the relaxation in those restrictions has lead to a huge increase in positive cases. 

Over 3,000 positive results yesterday as the numbers continue to rise from one and two thousand over the last couple of weeks. 

Apparently, if it continues at the rate it is, the Czech Republic will overtake Spain and France as the worst affected in Europe. 

It's mad, since we were only registering in the low hundreds just a couple of months ago. Luckily my family are out in the sticks and are pretty isolated anyway, but we've got a baby due any day now and, though I'm not terrible worried, it does add a bit more stress to the situation. 

Thankfully, the country have made the masks laws stricter and, hopefully, they'll get on top of it again. Could be a long winter though...

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, quote the raven said:

How far are we lagging behind the likes of Spain and France, Germany in our testing?  

It’s fast looking like they didn’t have enough lab techs to process them. Something that must have been known about surely 

The NHS had a lab framework that could have dealt with this if it hadn't been deliberately underfunded. The infrastructure was there. But the Tories completely bypassed NHS labs and went straight to their mates Serco, Deloitte, and G4S (remember when they were Group 4 in the 90s, and they were given contracts by Major and his gang to run the prison custody service, and we regularly got news reports of how they let prisoners escape?).

33 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The NHS had a lab framework that could have dealt with this if it hadn't been deliberately underfunded. The infrastructure was there. But the Tories completely bypassed NHS labs and went straight to their mates Serco, Deloitte, and G4S (remember when they were Group 4 in the 90s, and they were given contracts by Major and his gang to run the prison custody service, and we regularly got news reports of how they let prisoners escape?).

This is such an important thing to remember. I shudder every time I hear them say “NHS test and trace” when it’s Serco and is operated by the governments mates. It all plays into their “We love the NHS but it’s failing and needs private firms”. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is such an important thing to remember. I shudder every time I hear them say “NHS test and trace” when it’s Serco and is operated by the governments mates. It all plays into their “We love the NHS but it’s failing and needs private firms”. 

It angers me when Boris Johnson used it against Starmer in PMQ the other week when he said "LOOK, HE'S SLAGGING OFF THE NHS, BOO HIM!" when Starmer brought up our world beating Track and Trace was anything but. Because Johnson referred to it as NHS Track and Trace when it's not even their product. And he got away with it, no one corrected him.

Has anyone had luck applying for the tests? I've come down with a cold and a temperature in the last few days, but have been told the service is busy every time I try to apply for one. I don't feel too bad and it could just be a common cold, but I'm still wary about going back to work. I work in a supermarket so it's entirely possible that I could of picked it up there. 

4 minutes ago, pitseleh said:

Has anyone had luck applying for the tests? I've come down with a cold and a temperature in the last few days, but have been told the service is busy every time I try to apply for one. I don't feel too bad and it could just be a common cold, but I'm still wary about going back to work. I work in a supermarket so it's entirely possible that I could of picked it up there. 

It is completely pot luck at the minute in regards to getting a test booked. You should not go back to work until you have had a test though. I hope it is just a common cold.

• Paid Members

It boils my piss they keep calling it “NHS Track and Trace” when it has nothing to do with the NHS, despite the NHS having digital departments that would have been able to build and release something, and for the right reason and not because it was a commercial transaction and if it didn’t work just go, “Meh. Well, we can fix it but it’ll cost an extra [insert arbitrary figure in millions here]”.

I'm signed onto a Covid research app that asks people to register how they're feeling daily. I'm not showing any main symptoms and I'm 90% sure most of my current symptoms (fatigue, headache, dry throat) are depression related but they've asked me to get tested and to say I'm a key worker. Suffice to say that's virtually impossible. 

They've noted I probably don't have it. Which, I guess is good enough to not worry? My current symptoms wouldn't meet the criteria to not go to work either so...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I'm guessing a lot of people will be developing "symptoms" tomorrow, ahead of potentially going back to work in schools and all that sort of stuff on Monday. For those who have gone back already: how's it been going?

I've got teenagers being edgy and cool by refusing to wear their masks properly then taking issue when I ask them to.

We sent a kid home yesterday for coughing in his mentor room, without covering his mouth and declaring "he had coronavirus"

I'm also losing about 10 minutes per lesson to a) movement from one room to another and b) shit technology. 

But it could be worse, I guess.