Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Moderators
On 9/12/2020 at 7:37 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

Covid Marshalls. Definitely not just some idiot on a power trip who wants to get away with wearing their hi-viz to get away with some dodgy stuff 

FB_IMG_1599910546693.jpg

Hahahaha, this is glorious. Just the other week I was explaining to a Yank coworker of mine about how much they love a hi-viz jacket in the UK.

• Paid Members

The past few days have been the first time since early on in lockdown that I'm really nervous about all of this. The first headline I saw this morning was about a record number of daily cases, all of our new students are in this week, and the rules are changing in the UK and for travel to/from Jersey, so I'm back to really overthinking things. I've been feeling a bit under the weather for a couple of days, and I don't think it's Covid-related (I've tested negative three times, and there's currently only 11 confirmed cases in Jersey), but it adds to the anxiety - and the inevitable fresher's flu of everyone coming into college will only compound that.

I'm meant to be going up to see my parents next month, but my Dad's starting to sound like he's getting cold feet; the rules at the moment are that each local authority in the country is given a traffic light rating, which determines whether/how long you have to self-isolate. I'll be flying into London, then driving up with the girlfriend to East Yorkshire to see him, and I think he's worried that either end could change from green to amber, or that the rules could change altogether by then.

On top of that, the rule of six just fucks things for us as a family, particularly if it's still in place around Christmas. A gathering of six covers my immediate family, but not any of their partners or children. One of my brothers has four kids, so I could meet him with them on my own, but not with my partner or my parents. There's obviously far bigger worries for a lot of people, but it's wearing me down in a way that all of this hasn't for a while.

I noticed a photo today of my friend and her partner hanging out in her families back garden. Now that wouldn't be anything to concern myself with normally but she's British, he's American and the last I heard he was in Florida her stuck in another unknown location that I assume to be the UK. So since this all kicked off she's flown to Florida from somewhere else and then they've both flown to the UK and presumably will fly back again to the USA at some point. Apart from being shocked at it being allowed it seems fairly irresponsible as they aren't the kind of people to adhere to isolation periods etc from experience. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The amount of curtain twitching this pandemic has generated is quite something...

Our neighbours from the start of lockdown, had their grandkids over every day. It annoyed us because we were sticking to the rules and didn't see the grandmother for 8 weeks, even though we had thought we had it. But, it wasn't our business what they did in their own homes so didn't rat them in. But people have certainly been doing it elsewhere.

Indeed. The rules are so slapdash and erratic I can barely keep up with if whether or not my own actions are compliant let alone if other people’s are. You can barely blame people bending rules bar the ones who have just carried on as normal because the rules don’t apply to them.

• Paid Members

About a week into lockdown someone in our flats scrawled a handwritten note saying "We see you coming and going into the building, stop it! We are calling the police" and put it up in the lobby. No context, no understanding that people were allowed to leave for key worker jobs, shopping and exercise. Nothing says communal spirit like a blanket threat to dob people in. 

Kids aren't thick. Few of them started talking to me in form this morning about this new "rule of six" and trying to figure it out. 

"So sir, if I'm hanging out with my friends in school and we're a group of 10 then that's OK because our whole year group is a bubble and that's 170 kids. But if I see those same friends outside school or we're walking home, it has to be in a group of six? Seems pretty stupid."

Kids dropping like flies and it's crazy how many parents are ok sending their kid into school with a bad cough when they know we're turning that kid around. Then again, a lot of the absence comments on the register or those being sent home during the day are kids complaining of stomach ache which is supposedly a symptom in children. 

Issue still remains about not being able to get a test sorted. I'm sending work home for about a dozen kids because they're isolating and can't get a test either for them or someone else at home.

I think we'll either be in a full lockdown by Christmas (with exceptions for work) or they'll waive all the restrictions. 

No way Boris wants to be known as "the Prime Minister who cancelled Christmas." Not unless hundreds of people are dying each day. 

You act like they're being unreasonable, but you're forgetting one very important concession. While you obviously can't meet six friends for a picnic, the seven of you can still go grouse hunting with up to 23 extra chums. That's our government you see, always thinking of the common man.