HOSTAGE WATCH: WWE Stranded In Saudi

Accident Prone

45 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Because it's not at all possible she could be using the word 'hostage' flippantly.

Well, that tweet looks like it’s from a furious wife. She isn’t throwing that word around flippantly. She is pissed. Have you never had a missus before? 

She could be over reacting, but she was probably worried sick. Fuck knows what was going through the minds of friends and family. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Well, that tweet looks like it’s from a furious wife. She isn’t throwing that word around flippantly. She is pissed. Have you never had a missus before? 

I have but she probably would have been asking them to leave me over there.

• Paid Members

Recap thread of the latest Wrestling Observer Radio: 

Recap of recap:

* Saudis hadn't paid for last two shows/Vince stopped them showing Crown Jewel live on TV/They paid up and Crown Jewel aired on delay/Vince left/The main wrestler plane was stopped from leaving

* The wrestlers were told it was mechanical problems but they almost all think that's bollocks.

* The wrestlers left behind are pissed off.

* It's not clear if Vince left before he knew about the charter plane being stopped.

Edited by JNLister

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I have but she probably would have been asking them to leave me over there.

They’d hang you with the laces from one of your Adidas Gazelles and with your last dying breathe all we’d hear is a whisper of “Mission Impossible: Fallout is the best action film of all time...” 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, LCJ said:

Haven’t WWE signed a ten year deal for two SA Shows a year with another eight years to go? Not sure what the consequences would be if Vince decided never to go back.

Well if it's true that they hadn't been paid for the last two shows then surely they would have every right to argue a breach of contract on the Saudia end.

1 minute ago, DEF said:

Well if it's true that they hadn't been paid for the last two shows then surely they would have every right to argue a breach of contract on the Saudia end.

I’d have thought so. Although if SA have now paid then maybe that would leave WWE open to being sued? Either way, what a shitshow.

The US are currently one of a number of nations who are backing the Saudi's against the recent Iranian attack on oil refineries, and have sent thousands of ground troops to Saudi along with B-1 Bombers to help beef up protection ahead of potential issues with Iran in the months to come. The US have also argued the case for the Saudi's with the UN, possibly looking for international sanctions to be ramped up against Iran.

Does anyone seriously believe the Saudi's are going to risk derailing that support they're getting against one of their enemies in the region by keeping a bunch of fucking wrestlers hostage? Forget Dave Meltzer and his "behind the scenes" award-winning reporting for a second and actually think what the fallout would be if there was a sliver of truth to Saudi Arabia holding US citizens against their will. 

Any goodwill that they've built with the international community would be flushed down the toilet just as they need it the most with the Iranian situation hanging over their heads. And for what? Because Vince McMahon tried to prevent a wrestling show being shown on Saudi telly? Even if that's true, it's insanity to think they'd risk international relations over it, especially at this particular moment when they really need US backing the most.

• Paid Members

The dullest of answers, but the truth likely lies somewhere in the middle.

I said earlier that I felt it was technical issues, but technical issues wouldn't have resulted in wrestlers being told they had to return to their hotel and not being allowed to leave. I would assume that wrestlers and crew used to travelling on WWE's insane schedule, some of them having wrestled for decades, would have at least an idea of what technical issues look like, and what standard procedure is in that instance.

That said, one of the airlines involved (Air Atlas) did issue a statement about the initial flight, that backs up the technical issues story, so Occam's Razor explanation would suggest that's what happened. 

It's everything after that which becomes murky. Talent not permitted to leave the hotel. WWE's statement that WWE superstars "chartered their own flight", which clearly wasn't the case, judging from social media posts by multiple members of WWE talent and crew.

Hugo Savinovich said that Vince got into an altercation with the Saudis over money, and delayed the broadcast of Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia. I can't see any reason for Hugo to bullshit people, and he's well-connected, though apparently yesterday Hugo was told by someone in WWE that this was "just hearsay". In any event - the show did air late in Saudi Arabia, and there have been question marks around WWE's last quarterly earnings report in relation to Saudi money.

I don't think seasoned travelers are posting things like "never again", asking for fans' prayers, or posting passive aggressive comments like Luke Harper (and those commenting on his IG post) have been, for a simple mechanical issue. These are people who travel constantly, and have likely put up with every kind of travel complaint imaginable - I fly short haul pretty often, though nothing like a WWE schedule, and have put up with delays, cancellations, diversions and everything else, so can only assume that people travelling far more often than me have seen their fair share. It's going to take more than a mechanical fault and a delayed flight to garner the kind of reactions we're seeing.

Everything adds up to it being a much fishier story than the WWE version of events. I don't think it's anything as dramatic as a hostage situation, but it feels like a quid pro quo situation where someone wasn't getting enough quid for their quo. Obstruction, or being willfully unhelpful, rather than actively holding people against their will. Passive rather than active.

I also wouldn't read too much into Meltzer touching it and mainstream media not - wrestling is alien to the majority of journalists, and even stories with potentially huge ramifications won't get picked up. Imagine if this scenario were taking place with, for example, the Man City squad, or the England cricket team, or the cast of the next Bond movie. Even at the point we're at where it's nothing but speculation and gossip, it would have been making headlines - the reason it's not is because it's wrestling, not because there's no story.