HOSTAGE WATCH: WWE Stranded In Saudi

Accident Prone

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

Seems like much ado about fuck all in all honesty. I was travelling a few months back and the plane had "mechanical issues," resulting in my flight being grounded for around eight hours, and this was a standard flight in a busy airport on a route that is travelled every day.

Think there's too much being read into it.

Did they wait almost 24 hours before telling you why your plane wasn’t taking off?

• Paid Members

Was it a private plane organised by your company to get you back for your contractually scheduled obligation? 

1 minute ago, David said:

They actually never told us why it never took off. We still don't know to this day. They just claimed "mechanical issues."

They actually never told us why it never took off. We still don't know to this day. They just claimed "mechanical issues."

I think if it was pretty much any where else the situation wouldn’t cause anywhere near the concern it has. I think it’s pretty fair to assume there could be something serious happening 

Just now, Shy Dad said:

Was it a private plane organised by your company to get you back for your contractually scheduled obligation? 

Last time I checked private planes can have mechanical issues as well. There's even more reason to keep a private plane grounded to make sure it's sorted and passes all checks. My flight they just lobbed us all on another plane that they sorted out for us within a number of hours. They obviously weren't in a position to allocate another plane to the WWE flight by the looks of it.

If they'd rushed it and something amiss had happened everyone would have been saying "why didn't they make sure it was flight-worthy?!? What's an extra day when your life is at stake?!?"

But the idea that there's some nefarious reason that the Saudi's are stopping a bunch of wrestlers leaving the country is more interesting I guess.

2 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I think if it was pretty much any where else the situation wouldn’t cause anywhere near the concern it has. I think it’s pretty fair to assume there could be something serious happening 

It's also fair to assume that flights from Saudi to the US aren't as frequent as they are from other locations. If they need to run a thorough check on the plane and get it signed off it can take a day or two, that's just how it is. There's flight safety regulations to be adhered to, on both sides of the journey, and they can't just rush through that because Smackdown is on.

It's also fair to assume that flights from Saudi to the US aren't as frequent as they are from other locations. If they need to run a thorough check on the plane and get it signed off it can take a day or two, that's just how it is. There's flight safety regulations to be adhered to, on both sides of the journey, and they can't just rush through that because Smackdown is on.

I’m not doubting it could be nothing at all, but you really can’t blame people for thinking something dodgy could be happening in Saudi Arabia. Especially with how vague initial reports have been and talents Tweets.

Just now, UK Kat Von D said:

I’m not doubting it could be nothing at all, but you really can’t blame people for thinking something dodgy could be happening in Saudi Arabia. Especially with how vague initial reports have been and talents Tweets.

I know, but think about it, do you not think if there was some sort of international incident we'd be seeing it reported in actual proper media, and not just from wrestling fan sites and Dave Meltzer? 

The Saudi's are looking to mend their public image, strengthen business ties to the rest of the world worth billions of dollars to them in the years to come. Do you honestly think they'd fuck all that up by holding Bray Wyatt and Seth Rollins hostage? Come on.

I know it makes for interesting chat, but the talent are clearly posting cryptic shit to fuck with gullible wrestling fans, or people are reading too much into what they're saying. If they were being held hostage by an evil Saudi regime I doubt they'd be given carte blanche to post away on Twitter. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, David said:

Last time I checked private planes can have mechanical issues as well. There's even more reason to keep a private plane grounded to make sure it's sorted and passes all checks. My flight they just lobbed us all on another plane that they sorted out for us within a number of hours. They obviously weren't in a position to allocate another plane to the WWE flight by the looks of it.

If they'd rushed it and something amiss had happened everyone would have been saying "why didn't they make sure it was flight-worthy?!? What's an extra day when your life is at stake?!?"

But the idea that there's some nefarious reason that the Saudi's are stopping a bunch of wrestlers leaving the country is more interesting I guess.

And I'll second Maxwell on this too, your experience is vitally different in that the leaders of their company have bolted back home seemingly, they've been kept by the time they leave (if they leave) over 24 hours with no proper management and everyone is being vague as hell about it. 

Your point is that you weren't told anything because it was an airline fault. My point is that superstars on a chartered private flight should have some idea what's happening rather than being holed up in hotels with no idea or that they are being silenced from saying too much. 

The truth could easily be somewhere in between "its nothing" and contrarian exaggerations. I don't think - thread title of the year aside - anyone believes the lads are going to show up on Al Jazeera all doing Nailz cosplay. But it's enticing and not out of the realm of possibilities to think there's a diplomatic or clerical strain of some sort going down. 

I doubt those cryptic tweets are just to fuck with people. They seem fairly genuine - even if it is just airport fatigue. 

Just now, Shy Dad said:

And I'll second Maxwell on this too, your experience is vitally different in that the leaders of their company have bolted back home seemingly, they've been kept by the time they leave (if they leave) over 24 hours with no proper management and everyone is being vague as hell about it. 

Seemingly bolted back home? Are you actually being serious? Vince and company managed to escape on a private jet before they could be stopped, leaving their employees in the clutches of the Saudi's who are holding them hostage? Jesus fucking wept.

You'll believe that over the more plausible explanation that Vince likely had a smaller aircraft bringing him and his family etc to the event, while talent were on a different flight which is the plane that's suffered the problems. Vince has flown back because, well, there's fuck all he can really do in Saudi in a hotel, is there? They just need to wait until the plane is given the green light to take off. He's flown back to supervise his business, his television show and to try and sort out the mess that he's been left with, and he's taken as many key figures who can help him do that as he is legally able to on his jet.

And how do you know there's no proper management? Do you know who runs the day to day scheduling of these overseas events? I'm willing to bet there's people involved that you and I have never heard of. They'll be there, taking care of what needs taking care of. Vince certainly isn't tasking himself with that shit, neither is Triple H or anyone else we've heard of.

6 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Your point is that you weren't told anything because it was an airline fault. My point is that superstars on a chartered private flight should have some idea what's happening rather than being holed up in hotels with no idea or that they are being silenced from saying too much. 

Superstars? Sorry mate, once they step outside the arena they're not "superstars," they're just American citizens. And as American citizens, there would be all holy hell being kicked up if they were being held hostage in the middle east by the Saudi regime. Come on man, think about it.

• Paid Members

Planes get delayed, people get arsey when they do, and then they post dramatic shit on social media. WWE statement says there are 175 of them there, you can't just find an extra plane for all of those people in 10 minutes. Bit of a shitter for those involved for sure, but it'll all be forgotten about for the next big event.

13 minutes ago, David said:

know, but think about it, do you not think if there was some sort of international incident we'd be seeing it reported in actual proper media, and not just from wrestling fan sites and Dave Meltzer? 

Well if Meltzer doesn’t know what is going on then how would it even get picked up by actual proper media? Will they have better sources than him? Unless something actually gets reported that is news worthy no reputable source is going to start investigating wrestlers stuck on a plane 

None of the Tweets (that I've seen anyway) indicate anything particularly harsh has happened to the talent.

Most just seem a genuine reaction to being delayed in a foreign country and not being able to really do anything and not have a set timeframe for it to be resolved.

Andrade "hoping he makes it home for Sunday" , Murphy saying "never again" etc can easily be taken to be natural tweets you'd get from any old Joe who is delayed for 24 hours and stuck in a hotel.

Shinsuke has been tweeting about Art and Mojo has thanked the people of Saudi and looks forward to next time.

People are just trying to fill time until they can leave 

Edited by MVP RULZ