HOSTAGE WATCH: WWE Stranded In Saudi

Accident Prone

Top guy shouldn't even be @ing Dave Meltzer. Period. I know kayfabe is dead, but that's proper shit. Can we just pretend it's still going? Isn't that what the word essentially is designed for, anyway? Along similar lines, WWE on Fox's own YouTube put up a Finn interview the other day with the title "Finn Balor on his NXT heel turn". I find that stuff depressing. I know the dialogue's out there if you really want to find it, and plenty of the guys are booked on to these appearances and are in an environment where they can talk freely about their characters as being just that, now, but it's the last thing I'd be doing if I wanted to build a buzz around myself. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

12 hours ago, Supremo said:

There was a meeting at about 3 p.m. today at NYCB Live with Vince McMahon and the Raw crew.  We don't have details of what transpired at this time but these are some things we've been told. The company blamed talent speculation for causing a problem, the talent was told the flight issues were all mechanical and nothing more, and Seth Rollins attempted to do a rah-rah speech while telling people to keep things like this off social media in the future.

Straight from journo Dave himself. Good enough for me. Talent need to realise that they're supposed to be professionals. You don't Tweet shit out there that could potentially cause your employer problems, that's mental. Keep your complaints for your other half and HR. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, David said:

Straight from journo Dave himself. Good enough for me. Talent need to realise that they're supposed to be professionals. You don't Tweet shit out there that could potentially cause your employer problems, that's mental. Keep your complaints for your other half and HR. 

Absolutely understandable take IF the talent was stuck in Japan or the UK or Berlin or something (or *gulp* Hull).

But when you're stuck in a vicious dictatorship that has to be near the top of the list for the amount of human rights violations that they impose, and your boss has fucked off along with the twenty people that he deems most valuable to him, the talent reacted as any normal human being would.

Imagine being in that scenario, coming into hour 6 of being stuck on a grounded plane and thinking "Alright, don't panic, it's only Saudi Arabia, that place where journalists end up dismembered and any inclination of being a homosexual could see me being tortured to death by the police", and it's fucking humid and horrible and still thinking, "Yep, this is okay" and your boss is on his way back home along with his various lap dogs and yes men, and there's no indication that they (a multi-billion dollar company) are going to help fund for another plane(s) to get you out of there ASAP, and then you're being told to book hotels on short notice in that unforgiving shit-tip, and just thinking, "Well this is definitely something I'll raise with Karen at HR!".

Get fucked. I understand that you often like to play the contrarian or devil's advocate on things David, maybe because you like the challenge or maybe because you're a bit bored, but if you honestly think that any of the stranded WWE employees and WWE independent contractors did anything out of sorts then I think you need to have a look in the mirror and question your own values and ethics.

And taking to Twitter to bitch is the answer, is it? Piss off with that. If you have a gripe you take it to the boss if you feel that strongly about it. He's not hard to find from what I've heard. 

Go chap on Vince's door when you get back to TV and discuss it face to face instead of posting cryptic shit on social media.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Along similar lines, WWE on Fox's own YouTube put up a Finn interview the other day with the title "Finn Balor on his NXT heel turn". I find that stuff depressing. I know the dialogue's out there if you really want to find it, and plenty of the guys are booked on to these appearances and are in an environment where they can talk freely about their characters as being just that, now, but it's the last thing I'd be doing if I wanted to build a buzz around myself. 

On the surface, it’s no different to the BBC putting a video on YouTube with say, an EastEnders actor discussing their character and storylines they’re involved in?

Edited by Your Fight Site

5 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

On the surface, it’s no different to the BBC putting a video on YouTube with say, an EastEnders actor discussing their character and storylines they’re involved in?

I'd love to see EastEnders actors kayfabe. 

And no. It's completely different. For various reasons. Kayfabe is what lets wrestling get away with being wrestling. It's part of the magic, and should never be eradicated completely. 

WWE will never be on par with conventional serials and dramas. The writing structure may as well be done by a different species. It's a different beast. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, David said:

And taking to Twitter to bitch is the answer, is it? Piss off with that. If you have a gripe you take it to the boss if you feel that strongly about it. He's not hard to find from what I've heard. 

Go chap on Vince's door when you get back to TV and discuss it face to face instead of posting cryptic shit on social media.

He clearly is hard to find as he was in his chartered jet when it was all going down. But, as you put across, everyone in that extremely stressful and worrying scenario should've just kept their mouths shut and their thoughts to themselves throughout the entire unpredictable ordeal. You're bordering on Peirs Morgan-levels of "Oh just man up!" here David and I'm quitting while I'm ahead now as you just have to be trolling at this point.

Just now, Accident Prone said:

He clearly is hard to find as he was in his chartered jet when it was all going down. But, as you put across, everyone in that extremely stressful and worrying scenario should've just kept their mouths shut and their thoughts to themselves throughout the entire unpredictable ordeal. You're bordering on Peirs Morgan-levels of "Oh just man up!" here David and I'm quitting while I'm ahead now as you just have to be trolling at this point.

Not at all, I never said they shouldn't be pissed off or that they should keep their mouths shut at all. It undoubtedly was a stressful situation for all involved. What I'm saying is that going to Twitter when you're feeling that way probably wasn't the best move. It was unprofessional. You hold your tongue until the appropriate time comes to address the situation with the people involved, which seems to have been a meeting before Raw.

7 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Why shouldn't they have a pop on Twitter. WWE are hardly known to have a robust HR department where complaints are dealt with accordingly are they? Fuck me look who runs the company

Well, if they find themselves in bother for doing just that they really have no complaints. In the real adult world you simply can't go around posting shit about your employer on social media, regardless of how in the right you think you are. Raise the issue at the meeting before TV and get it dealt with behind closed doors in a professional manner.

Raise the issue at the meeting before TV and get it dealt with behind closed doors in a professional manner.

I would counter by saying that I imagine a lot of what is complained about by WWE contractors is ignored/buried. For some this may be the tip of the iceberg. Being a wrestler is not a normal job, its like sports teams, frankly the rules are utterly different for them than they are for us who work in what you would call a normal job.

I think the point that you seem to be missing David is that this really wasn't a minor issue that all the roster have taken to twitter to complain about. I also would imagine it was not their first port of call to jump straight onto twitter either.

It can't really compared to next to any situation of employment for any of us.

This isn't like the employees of Argos taking to twitter to slate the company because they haven't had a working microwave in the staff canteen for a week.

If what is being widely rumoured and reported is true that Vince fucked off with everyone he felt wasn't replaceable, leaving everyone else there stranded with no help after holding a man well known for murderous and torturous tendencies to ransom over the show they had just put on.

Without being melodramatic the reality is that these guys travel around the world away from their families risking their physical health nightly for a billionaire who then has such disregard for them that he fucks off without them and offers no help to get them home safely.

Imagine having the opinion that they didn't have the right to make it public knowledge.

If Manchester United went to play a glamour friendly in Saudi Arabia for mega money which wasn't paid then the owner flew himself, the manager and the very top players home on a private jet but then left the lesser players and staff there to fend for themselves later instructing them to book their own hotels until it was sorted would anyone at all be lamenting them tweeting about how horrific that was?

Edited by Jonny Vegas

How do we know that Vinces jet hadn’t already taken off before all the mechanical errors? That’s the thing with private jets, you skip all the rigmarole of commercial flights. What was he supposed to do, turn his jet around or get on with running his business by ensuring the scheduled TV show back home went ahead. 

If all we have to go on is Dave fucking Meltzers word for it then we have nothing to go on.