HOSTAGE WATCH: WWE Stranded In Saudi

Accident Prone

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I think Erick Rowan is the only one who fits the 'starts in 2012 - worked Crown Jewel - sacked April 2020' criteria.

As does Dawson. It could be either of the two. Someone mentioned Aiden English, but unless he did commentary on that show, he wasn’t on it. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Carbomb said:

What would be the material impact if the lawsuit was successful? 

Depends on how long the Saudi contract runs. I'm more inclined to believe that the boys would be coerced to fly out (COVID or not) but Vince has to recognise that picking fights with heads of state could get uglier than he could ever want, big money or not. If the Saudis get lax in their payments it's a lot easier to wait until everyone's home then ask questions. At any rate either Vince, Trips and/or Steph need to realise that this is the first thing they're not getting clean away from, regardless of the suit.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Carbomb said:

What would be the material impact if the lawsuit was successful? 

Massive.

I don't know why everybody is focusing on the "wrestlers being held hostage" part when WWE is being accused of stock market manipulation AND insider trading. The U.S doesn't fuck about with that stuff. It's why WWE couldn't fully commit to angles like "Trump has bought RAW" and "Vince is dead" because, even though everybody knew it was a work, it could still have been seen as manipulating the price of their stock.

Regardless of the monetary damage, if these allegations are proven then there will definitely be a criminal trial and they'll be very lucky if everybody avoids prison, including Vince himself. They specifically accuse him of insider trading in there and, if the numbers cited in there are true, he's going to be hard pressed to deny it. Pretending to be in negotiations for a TV deal when you aren't is bad enough but selling millions of dollars worth of stock RIGHT before you have to come clean....?

Bet Trump'd pardon him though.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

Massive.

I don't know why everybody is focusing on the "wrestlers being held hostage" part when WWE is being accused of stock market manipulation AND insider trading. The U.S doesn't fuck about with that stuff. It's why WWE couldn't fully commit to angles like "Trump has bought RAW" and "Vince is dead" because, even though everybody knew it was a work, it could still have been seen as manipulating the price of their stock.

Regardless of the monetary damage, if these allegations are proven then there will definitely be a criminal trial and they'll be very lucky if everybody avoids prison, including Vince himself. They specifically accuse him of insider trading in there and, if the numbers cited in there are true, he's going to be hard pressed to deny it. Pretending to be in negotiations for a TV deal when you aren't is bad enough but selling millions of dollars worth of stock RIGHT before you have to come clean....?

Yeah, but who is the mystery wrestler?

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

Massive.

Since you seem to understand this, is there any chance you could give a simple explanation of what WWE are being accused of doing? Is it that the Saudi stuff is central to it, or an intrinsic part of it?

My rough understanding is that they're painting a falsely pretty picture of how things are going, so that they can run stock prices up and sell. So I'm figuring pretending things weren't going badly with SA was effectively misleading stockholders?

• Paid Members

Yep, basically they kept saying they were close to negotiating a deal with OSN (Dubai-based satellite company) where their content would be on a streaming service. What actually happened according to another new witness who was involved in the negotiations is WWE wanted to be paid based on the idea that the attraction of WWE would be enough to get ONE HUNDRED MILLION extra people to sign up, while the media company estimated 6.5 million was a more realistic goal. The negotiations got as far as the media company saying 15 million to keep WWE happy (but not believing that figure was realistic) and WWE coming down to 50 million, at which point the deal collapsed.

The Saudi stuff is just a side dish to say "see, they were lying about other Middle East deals.

The heart of the case is the allegation that not only were they misleading stockholders, but that senior execs including Vince were selling off stock knowing that when the next stockholder report came out the share price would fall because they wouldn't be announcing the anticipated deal.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chris B said:

Since you seem to understand this, is there any chance you could give a simple explanation of what WWE are being accused of doing? Is it that the Saudi stuff is central to it, or an intrinsic part of it?

My rough understanding is that they're painting a falsely pretty picture of how things are going, so that they can run stock prices up and sell. So I'm figuring pretending things weren't going badly with SA was effectively misleading stockholders?

I'm only part way through the document now but that's only part of the allegations. Basically they are accused of lying about their business dealings in the Middle East (and North Africa) to mislead investors. They delayed informing investors that they'd lost a lucrative TV deal there and actually said they were in negotiations to renew it. When they finally had to announce it, they claimed that they'd been negotiating with the Saudi's for a new deal and that they already "had an agreement in principle" when in actually they were miles apart. The "hostage" situation is just cited as evidence that the WWE's relationship with the Saudi's was actually deteriorating at the time.

I haven't gotten through it all but there's a lot of other dodgy stuff they are accusing them of, including claiming that attendance in the US was increasing (on a chart that clearly shows that it wasn't) and them including people who got the Network for free as part of their TV package in their figures for "Network subscribers".

I had no idea they'd been accused of tampering with stocks. Yeah that's somebodys arse if this goes all the way. One of the few things you can get done for in America if you fit the Vince mould is that, that's going to be hilarious. This whole thing is, Fucking hell.

EDIT - forgot who was in charge, aye they'll be sound

Edited by Cannibal Man