The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I'm pretty sure a "Throw it back!" chant started, but then got drowned out by cheers when the fella raised his kid in the air with it. Seeing how Cody would've reacted to them tossing his merch back at him would've been much more intriguing than the frustration that followed. Even until the end, he was in the House of Black.

Great face-saving tweet/IG from Black too. I love his whole act.

Has anyone at the top in AEW come out explicitly about specific angles they've course-corrected, beyond saying "yes" in answer to leading questions or placing comments about listening to the fans? I know Miro is cited as one example of this, but even if you go back and watch his debut, he does a weird facial transition as he enters, from the psycho scowl we know of him now to the big cheesy gangster grin he got on during the Sabian angle, so surely his eventual turn into a monster heel was planned. The Bucks were never going to turn heel unless they fancied it, and they're smart about taking their time (with angles if not in-ring, IMO), so dragging the Matt Jackson stuff on was on brand. The DO arguably forced AEW's hand through their segments on BTE slipping under the radar until it was too late and they were full-on goofy faces. I guess I'm wary of AEW having such goodwill through their community work and quality shows meaning we're giving them too much credit.

3 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I'm pretty sure a "Throw it back!" chant started, but then got drowned out by cheers when the fella raised his kid in the air with it. Seeing how Cody would've reacted to them tossing his merch back at him would've been much more intriguing than the frustration that followed. Even until the end, he was in the House of Black.

Great face-saving tweet/IG from Black too. I love his whole act.

Has anyone at the top in AEW come out explicitly about specific angles they've course-corrected, beyond saying "yes" in answer to leading questions or placing comments about listening to the fans? I know Miro is cited as one example of this, but even if you go back and watch his debut, he does a weird facial transition as he enters, from the psycho scowl we know of him now to the big cheesy gangster grin he got on during the Sabian angle, so surely his eventual turn into a monster heel was planned. The Bucks were never going to turn heel unless they fancied it, and they're smart about taking their time (with angles if not in-ring, IMO), so dragging the Matt Jackson stuff on was on brand. The DO arguably forced AEW's hand through their segments on BTE slipping under the radar until it was too late and they were full-on goofy faces. I guess I'm wary of AEW having such goodwill through their community work and quality shows meaning we're giving them too much credit.

You are wary of giving them too much credit in case they haven’t had to course correct as they did it right to start with? That’s how that reads to me 

29 minutes ago, Louch said:

You are wary of giving them too much credit in case they haven’t had to course correct as they did it right to start with? That’s how that reads to me 

Yes, that's my point made much more efficiently. If they haven't done as much thinking on their feet as we give them credit for, then a heel turn for Cody is a pipe dream, something a lot of us are hoping for because we project a sense of involvement in the company's direction based on it giving us a lot of (what we think) we want, when in fact they're just really good at elementary smart booking. As much as they can say yes they listen, and man of the hour TK is at the helm, we don't really know the tussles and processes going on at the top. Is Tony Kahn really telling everyone what to do, or is he building the show with direct input from the talent and having final sign-off? Cody's drive for media stardom, which he seems determined to force in spite of his shortfalls in charisma, is predicated on him being a good guy, which means if he's to carry this out elsewhere, he needs to stay face in AEW. Unfortunately, the crowd reactions don't tally with his career goal, and I don't see how he can achieve that, which leaves him stuck in his rut of poor self-booking trying to claw back some support from his core audience through the tropes he knows. Ironically, it's Vinnie Mac's insecurities writ large. 

14 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Yes, that's my point made much more efficiently. If they haven't done as much thinking on their feet as we give them credit for, then a heel turn for Cody is a pipe dream, something a lot of us are hoping for because we project a sense of involvement in the company's direction based on it giving us a lot of (what we think) we want, when in fact they're just really good at elementary smart booking. As much as they can say yes they listen, and man of the hour TK is at the helm, we don't really know the tussles and processes going on at the top. Is Tony Kahn really telling everyone what to do, or is he building the show with direct input from the talent and having final sign-off? Cody's drive for media stardom, which he seems determined to force in spite of his shortfalls in charisma, is predicated on him being a good guy, which means if he's to carry this out elsewhere, he needs to stay face in AEW. Unfortunately, the crowd reactions don't tally with his career goal, and I don't see how he can achieve that, which leaves him stuck in his rut of poor self-booking trying to claw back some support from his core audience through the tropes he knows. Ironically, it's Vinnie Mac's insecurities writ large. 

Apparently Rhodes To The Top (which I actually liked) hasn't been renewed so maybe he won't have much choice but to recognise that he's "just" a pro-wrestler and he should do what's best for the show and his character above what might be best for his hypothetical media career.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

No, he co-ran it with Scott D'Amore, but by all accounts had been scaling down his role months before his on screen firing, which was in itself, before All-Out I believe.

He was backstage at Bound for Glory, according to pwinsider, and was photographed with Moose. Fuck knows if that means anything.

• Paid Members

I thought Dynamite was great this week. Kind of surprised that some were down on the show as a whole, or thinking it was a transitional show as this one felt fairly big to me. I guess that comes from so many being down on the Cody result, but that finish was always incredibly likely to be what they were planning to do.

Whether you think he's a baby-face or not, he's kind of supposed to be, and babyfaces don't lose 3-0. The bigger issue here was that the third match was booked too soon. Black could have done with several more notable wins, not just Cody's mates, since the end result was going to be him losing at the end. Meanwhile the Cody redemption story of coming back and finding his groove again against other people before colliding with Black in a couple of months. Despite all that, I thought the match was hot as shit, though they seemed to be running out of time at the end as both guys got up way too quick from some of each others key offence. 

Danielson Vs Dustin Rhodes was every bit as good as you could have expected it to be. 

I got real Steve Austin at Summer slam 1997 vibes off of that Archer moonsault. Terrifying. I think he was supposed to go over and that's  what the delay was about. They were having a real good ruck before that too. 

MJF was as good as I have seen him here. Fantastic angle with Sting, and Wardlow and Spears did their parts well too. Brilliant stuff. 

Punk can beat Bobby Fish next week and get it over and done with, but I absolutely think he should be backing up Sting, Darby and the Lucha Bros against The Pinnacle. 

On the Bobby Fish note. . .Tony Nese. . .who is he related to then? As I haven't the faintest clue what he is supposed to be bringing to the table. 

Jungle Boy is fucking brilliant isn't he? I can't wait to see him squeeze the neck of that little prick Adam Cole. 

Moxley is going to have some match with Adam Page for the belt when the time comes. Can't wait for that. Page should win there you would think and then shortly after you've got to think Miro makes his intentions known. Poor Cowboy is going to have his hands full. 

Cody teasing the fucking Pedigree, I don't think that was exactly a dig at Trips like previous things he's done either. Maybe I'm just too stuck on the whole Homelander thing but there's no way for me that he's staying face, I'm expecting an interesting take on being a heel.

11 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Is Nese one of Danielson's mates? 

Think so. I believe during the start of the pandemic he and Drew Gulak were involved in some sort of angle with Bryan when they were sort of letting things go wherever in order to fill the TV time.

The road to style video they have put up for Wednesday has some lovely clips of Brody with 10 harking back to the aew title match  . Worth a watch 

In defense of Tony Nese, you need bodies to put over the real stars, so the argument is that there is value in bringing in a preliminary talent with some name value. 

Ultimately he's not going to be pushed in any meaningful way, and it's better to put him in that spot that hire someone of greater value (e.g. Wyatt) and try an force them into a already crowded upper / main event scene. 

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Louch said:

The road to style video they have put up for Wednesday has some lovely clips of Brody with 10 harking back to the aew title match  . Worth a watch 

They always do such a good job with these videos, it makes every week feel like it's a special edition rather than just another episode: