The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Cody takes the black mass and pops up seconds later. Tables, double juice, run-ins, Arn standing about with his dick in his hands. Cody takes every shortcut in the world and he still fucking SUCKS. This might've been worse than the Penta and Ogogo matches.

Heel, babyface, or "shades of grey"? or whatever. It isn't working. That wasn't heel heat. It was straight up rejection. It's Cody getting WWE style, failed-babyface resentment. In a company so in tune with it's audience he sticks out like a sore thumb. A black cloud over everything.

Danielson vs Dustin was incredible though! 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

Once again, I enjoyed the show.

I thought Archer had broken his neck or something. That looked bad. Especially the way they went to the quick roll-up finish.

I have enjoyed all the Black/Rhodes matches but for fucks sake, Cody is just never going to turn, is he? Also seemed like maybe there was a timing issue in the middle there after they both bladed? Even if Cody doesn't want to turn heel, at some point won't Tony just instruct him to? It's not like Cody has Hogan-like creative control.

I see that they're building to Punk vs Fish, at Full Gear I assume. But I am seeing way too many Bobby Fish matches lately.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

I hated Archer getting back in the ring to finish the match. I know it was relatively safe to just roll him up, but fucking hell lads. Just call it a doctor stoppage on account of the fact the giant, massive bloke landed backwards on his head from the top fucking rope. Terrifying.

Solid stuff with MJF and Sting. MJF is so much better just being a little prick rather than an edge lord saying his pre-rehearsed lines.

Even in a year as mad as 2021, I never could have imagined the best promos of the year would be Miro cutting promos on God. Incredible stuff. Can’t wait for him to come back and kill everyone.

I still think Tony Khan is smart enough to eventually pull the trigger and turn him heel, but for now it’s wild having Cody playing John Cena in AEW.

I love Brandon Cutler. Of everyone in AEW who’s struggled, adjusted and then succeeded, he might be the best. So much fun watching him be a disposable idiot.

Bryan Danielson though. Unbelievable. Somehow, his AEW run is even better than I expected. At this rate, in the space of a few months he’s going to walk wrestler of the year. Every single match so far has been brilliant. This roster? This amount of varied competition? Two shows a week? Willing to work Dark as well? Wow. It’s going to be one of the greatest runs of all time. He’s probably going to end up with about fifty six finishers over by the end, too.

So yeah, solid show with some great looking lineups for next week too. A lot to look forward to, especially with this news coming out;

Finally!

28A41530-DE44-40BC-B258-F3B248683FDD.jpeg.98b2bc01447722a90b7185af5f473e3d.jpeg

• Paid Members

The Cody thing is second only to Hangman’s build if they’re doing it all on purpose. They’re making him Cena but with the intention of actually turning him and it’s genius. 
There’s no way a company as self aware and reactive as AEW have been just aren’t noticing or paying attention to Cody.

Once The Elite runs it’s course after Hangman wins at Full Gear they’ll have Cody ready to do a Hogan at Bash 96 and do a huge heel turn and take the belt from Hangman eventually, probably by completely going back on his word, turning on Arn, falling out with The Elite on-screen. There’s a bunch for him to do when he goes full heel.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

The Cody thing is second only to Hangman’s build if they’re doing it all on purpose. They’re making him Cena but with the intention of actually turning him and it’s genius. 
There’s no way a company as self aware and reactive as AEW have been just aren’t noticing or paying attention to Cody.

Once The Elite runs it’s course after Hangman wins at Full Gear they’ll have Cody ready to do a Hogan at Bash 96 and do a huge heel turn and take the belt from Hangman eventually, probably by completely going back on his word, turning on Arn, falling out with The Elite on-screen. There’s a bunch for him to do when he goes full heel.

I’m wondering if Cody has control over the direction of his character as part of his contract, allowing him to stay the course. I don’t think he’s turning heel.

If he does, however, I don’t want to see him win the title from Hangman. Cody has it in him to be an excellent bad guy, but I don’t think there’s a better choice to unseat Hangman than Miro. Heck, becoming World Champion is the most logical next step for his character given what motivates him. And after losing a title once, watching him become increasingly violent and terrifying in order to remain champion would make for a tremendous title run. 

8 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’m wondering if Cody has control over the direction of his character as part of his contract, allowing him to stay the course. I don’t think he’s turning heel.

If he does, however, I don’t want to see him win the title from Hangman. Cody has it in him to be an excellent bad guy, but I don’t think there’s a better choice to unseat Hangman than Miro. Heck, becoming World Champion is the most logical next step for his character given what motivates him. And after losing a title once, watching him become increasingly violent and terrifying in order to remain champion would make for a tremendous title run. 

I know everyone says the money in Hangman is in the chase but I do hope it isn't a super short reign.

Also: Malakai Black has some words for the Cody.

spacer.png

Edited by 69MeDon

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

I hated Archer getting back in the ring to finish the match. I know it was relatively safe to just roll him up, but fucking hell lads. Just call it a doctor stoppage on account of the fact the giant, massive bloke landed backwards on his head from the top fucking rope. Terrifying.

Nope, completely agree, the fact that noone watching backstage decided that the guy who was losing landing directly on his head should result in a stoppage (which actually keeps him stronger) is a disgrace.

• Paid Members

Danielson Vs Dustin was a great match. 

It was lucky Archer almost got his hands down, otherwise it could have been a lot worse. 

56 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Something that seems to have gone largely unnoticed from last night, Tony Nese. Maybe it can stay that way and we can collectively forget it was ever teased.

The weird Takeover style sitting in the crowd spot was out of place. 

Spoiler

he’s on the dark studio tapings 

I loved the Cody/Black match but the finish was deflating. Should've ended with a still unbeaten Malakai and a newly heel Cody. Two hot characters with a million things they could do next. Instead its Malakai with his wings clipped and Cody as Roman Reigns 2016. I like both guys but this result cools them both down.

There's obviously still time for them to retcon this and do the heel turn a little later, but for now this feels like a big misstep.