The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Serena Deeb is just fantastic and exactly what all the women on this roster need. She raises everyones game.

I totally agree. I realise that you probably don't want Jade to lose at this stage, but Deeb would have been a brilliant choice as the first TBS Champion for the reasons you outline. She would have really helped establish that belt. 

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

COME DO A SHOW IN ENGLAND YOU COWARDS!

I'll freely admit that I'm biased, but I think the Glasgow wrestling crowds are the best in the country. I'd bloody love it if they taped Dynamite here. 

I saw the name 'Wyatt' mentioned on Twitter this morning so quickly closed the app so I didn't completely spoil myself.

Watched the whole of Dynamite expecting Bray to show up at the end. My eyes were nearly bulging out of my head at this point...

spacer.png

• Paid Members

I’m surprised more people aren’t praising Cody’s promo. I thought it was the best thing he’s done in ages. Beside Happy Hangman and Moxley killing a man and storming off into the night covered in blood, Cody was otherwise my favourite thing on the show.

Acknowledging and leaning into the boo’ing has made him infinitely more interesting. Combine that with Cody actually feuding with proper members of the roster and it fixes 90% of my problems with him. I can’t remember the last time I sat up excited for his entrance like I did last night.

Obviously the dream scenario is that they go full Roman Reigns and eventually pull the trigger, which I still have faith they’ll do, but even if they don’t, would it be the worst thing in the world if they keep him babyface and he remains in the John Cena role? Real first world problems if you’re a promoter sulking that you’ve got a John Cena scenario on your hands.

Some of the best things in wrestling the last twenty years were because of John Cena being The Man Who Will Not Turn. Crazy, electric reactions? Deafening duelling chants? Fun, cute nods and clever exploitation of the dynamic? I’m in! It’s a far more preferable role for Cody than The Man Who Only Wrestles His Trainees.

Plus, you’ve almost got to admire it. If I’m an average worker who just so happens to be running the gaff then there aren’t three better lads to associate myself with than PAC, Andrade and Black in their current form. If anything, that’s the most Triple H thing about Cody right now. Hanging out with the hot, cool, super talented kids, looking to get the rub. I suspect the culmination of this storyline is him having a backstage photo pointing at them whilst they all throw up the Too Sweet.

39 minutes ago, Pinc said:

I saw the name 'Wyatt' mentioned on Twitter this morning so quickly closed the app so I didn't completely spoil myself.

Watched the whole of Dynamite expecting Bray to show up at the end. My eyes were nearly bulging out of my head at this point...

spacer.png

There has been a Bray Wyatt lookalike at the last 2 (according to Twitter) Dynamites. Last week was funhouse Bray and last night someone was in camera view as Fiend Bray. I guess it's just a fan messing about, but who knows.

Yes a very interesting promo and great delivery. "I will not turn" sounds like the bad kind of fourth-wall-breaking but it worked for me here.

Obviously spending two decades pushing top babyfaces to overwhelming negative reactions played a big part in WWE burning all their good will with long term fans, but AEW have plenty of time to play about with this before it becomes counter-productive. Could definitely lead to some interesting scenarios and they've already put a fresh spin on it with Cody acknowledging it head on in a way Cena and Reigns never really did.

I'd still rather Black was undefeated though.

55 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m surprised more people aren’t praising Cody’s promo. I thought it was the best thing he’s done in ages. Beside Happy Hangman and Moxley killing a man and storming off into the night covered in blood, Cody was otherwise my favourite thing on the show.

Acknowledging and leaning into the boo’ing has made him infinitely more interesting. Combine that with Cody actually feuding with proper members of the roster and it fixes 90% of my problems with him. I can’t remember the last time I sat up excited for his entrance like I did last night.

If it felt like there was any prospect of Cody interacting with the main players in AEW then yeah, the "John Cena" approach might be interesting. But there doesn't seem to be any danger of that happening any time soon. For this approach to work, Cody would have to wrestle people like Hangman, Punk and Moxley, he'd have to interact with The Elite - he'd have to remove himself from the so-called "Codyverse". Even then, I don't think it's a better option than turning him. He'd have to do Cena better than Cena did, if he was to look like anything other than a weak imitation. 

I liked that promo, but the problem with comparing yourself to HHH so much is... he's not HHH, not nearly.  So the comparison isn't flattering.

I'm interested in the phrase "Codyverse" as I've been watching on and off this year and wondering why Cody doesn't seem to really be part of the rest of the show.  It's... odd.  He's very obviously far from the biggest star now, or most interesting character, so why he warrants this treatment besides being the guy who started it all.

Mind you - what I do like is that AEW feels.. big, like WCW used to, with lots of separate feuds and titles, characters popping in and out, random old Japanese guys... it really makes the 3 WWE brands feel small by comparison.  So I guess there's room for a Codyverse.  Sack off the special entrance though, give it to the champ.