The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

8 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

In defense of Tony Nese, you need bodies to put over the real stars, so the argument is that there is value in bringing in a preliminary talent with some name value. 

Ultimately he's not going to be pushed in any meaningful way, and it's better to put him in that spot that hire someone of greater value (e.g. Wyatt) and try an force them into a already crowded upper / main event scene. 

I get that, and it saves their self built names absorbing the loses. Need to keep a line with it tho, otherwise you are just nwo’ing the lower card with ex opposition company lower card guys with a name that clog the card up. Someone beating Tony Neese means no more to me than them beating an Peter Avalon

I've been ok with the vast majority of signings but Neese and Fish just feel like they're stealing a spot now. They could even end up being pretty good but the roster bloat is starting to show.

On the plus side it's more guys getting steady pay.

Edited by Merzbow

22 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've been ok with the vast majority of signings but Neese and Fish just feel like they're stealing a paycheck and a spot now. They could even end up being pretty good but the roster bloat is starting to show.

On the plus side it's more guys getting steady pay.

They both just seem bland wrestler Types, when they have at least two guys each doing what that do better higher in the card, or coming through like a Garcia 

My slight worry is starting to grow on the under/ over exposure of the guys coming through. We haven’t seen some top guys on the show in nearly a month. Think the acclaimed rapped last week they haven’t been on dynamite in 163 days. They are in the top 5 ranked tag teams yet aren’t on the main tv show in nearly 6 months( they have had a couple of Rampage matches). How am I meant to care about talent if I don’t see them? Jericho and Eddie used to complain when in wwf about being held down in wcw, but both appeared on nitro nearly every week. 

• Paid Members

I imagine they've brought Fish in to try and entice Kyle O'Reilly over for a ReDragon reunion once his time in WWE is over. 

• Paid Members

I don't notice guys going missing too much but that's probably because I watch Dark and Elevation every week, so it's less noticeable to me that someone like The Acclaimed haven't been on Dynamite in forever. There are definitely a few people on the roster who are suffering from roster bloat though. It would've been nice to see somebody like Sonny Kiss get more to sink his teeth into by now, and The Wingmen seem to have disappeared whereas they were Dark regulars a few months back.

As has been mentioned, Tony Nese was such a non-entity in WWE that a win over him holds as much weight as a win over Angelico or Joey Janela, so it's a bit of a strange signing if he's just there to be a JTTS.

• Paid Members

I've avoided WWE stuff for ages, so I have no clue about a lot of guys who did NXT or lower card stuff post 2010! But I'm actually really enjoying Fish, sure he's not exactly top of the card material, but I like a solid mid card type. He reminds me a bit of Bob Holly, in terms of where he belongs, I'm not that blind yet.

They can get lost with that blurred entrance for Sting, I normally watch Dynamite hungover on a Saturday morning and that will have me shouting for Huey and Ralph. 
Ruby's way of getting the  crowd involved appears to be sticking her tongue out repeatedly.
Scary for Lance Archer. 
Wow that crowd really did not want Cody to win.

• Paid Members

It was the most obvious thing in the world that Hangman was in the Stay Puft costume and it made no difference whatsoever. Fantastic. The perfect pro-wrestling angle. Dumb, stupid, silly, but so, so brilliant. That monster pop when he took the head off? Page and Dark Order all smiles and celebrating at the end? What looked like fucking tears in Page’s eyes as the credits came up? Fucking great stuff. Arguably their best feel good moment they’ve had so far, which is saying something for this company. Left me smiling ear to ear. This is the best run of TV anyone has ever done.

• Paid Members

Sat watching and really, really enjoying that main event and thinking I wanted three things. A Hangman run in, The Elite to get beat and Little John Silver getting the pin. 

Man, these guys give you what you want more often than not.

Great show this week, brilliant ending. 

First one I have watched live, and it was just fun. Can see loads of things bubbling along, the costume spots Won’t be for everyone, and Rick Knox was down for waay too long without another ref coming out. Really wish one of the dark order had helped Page get the costume off his feet, as the mid shit wobble around with your boxers at your ankles wasn’t a great look. 

bar that a fun show. I wonder if Jericho has his Breath back yet, that ramp run might be the end of him. 

10 learned the “cutting less is more” lesson in blading. Don’t think that need blood when it was two moves later he was losing. Deffo feels a Cody idea. 

talking of Cody, him in Jordan’s feels another tease towards the Elite. Might be bait tho as he’s playing on it all now. Presume it’s heading to a 4 way at the ppv with them. Gives them something to do

The shows just continue in that if you don’t like a segment, the next segment will likely work for you. Worst part of the night probably the Lio and Tony segment, so much tripping up over Matt, Mike, Rampage and Elevation and if pre taped, should have been reshot 

23 minutes ago, Louch said:

10 learned the “cutting less is more” lesson in blading. Don’t think that need blood when it was two moves later he was losing. Deffo feels a Cody idea

I think the purpose was to make Moxley look utterly ruthless, and brutal, leaning towards the heel side of things as we approach the final. If he leaves Orange Cassidy in a bloody mess next, that would be a really powerful image. 

If a heel run is in Jon Moxley's future, I'd have him brutally destroy Eddie Kingston in the final, rather than defeat Danielson. The idea of Moxley utterly destroying his best friend, who has become one of the company's most beloved babyfaces, is far more powerful than seeing him defeat someone he hasn't really interacted with in AEW. It'll also give him a feud to move on to after (presumably) Hangman, and I, personally, would be really excited about this next phase of the Moxley/Kingston story. I can only imagine how strong the promo work from a betrayed Eddie would be. 

29 minutes ago, Louch said:

talking of Cody, him in Jordan’s feels another tease towards the Elite. Might be bait tho as he’s playing on it all now. Presume it’s heading to a 4 way at the ppv with them. Gives them something to do

I think he's sincere about not turning heel, unfortunately. I feel utterly exhausted by the guy, he seems to be dragging everyone around him down with him. Malaki Black palling around with Andrade feels utterly random, why would he? Their characters are not a good fit, and it takes away from the sinister edge he has. I'm not typically a fan of "shades of grey", but it actually works with Malaki, allowing to remain menacing while also taking advantage of his popularity. Don't do this shit with him. 

I honestly hope Cody leaves the company, I just don't enjoy watching anything he does anymore. So many AEW wrestlers have adjusted based on fan response to their characters, and it's worked almost every time - Cody shouldn't be the exception to the rule. 

As far as the main event goes, I'm really happy that John Silver dressed up as Bambi. 

If someone says in wresting, I’m not gonna do a bad thing, it’s the most obvious things going that they do the bad thing. Cody isn’t gonna have a choice soon, crowd have latched into it and are embracing having a go at him

• Paid Members

agreed on pretty much all of that @RedRooster- the Malakai Black/Andrade pairing feels a bit too "inside baseball", in that I assume they've been put together because of the Zelina Vega connection and a real life friendship, rather than any coherent storytelling. I think there was a rumour early on in Andrade's run when he was alluding to bringing someone else in that it would be Black, but obviously he came in doing his own thing.

It's a shame, because I feel it undermines both men. As we saw with FTR the other week, Andrade is someone who can believably work with other heels because he's the sort of smug rich heel that would pay people off to do his dirty work. But Malakai Black feels like the one guy that shouldn't work with, because as a character he doesn't feel like someone that should be motivated by money, or by just by palling around with other baddies. I don't want to go deep into his "lore" or anything like that, but I'd like to think there's an in-character reason why he does what he does, and teaming him with another seemingly random heel makes it feel less real and more like a wrestling trope. If Black is going to team with another heel, I'd rather it be Miro - Miro thinking his God has forsaken him, and allying with someone demonic and evil as a result at least has some logic behind it.

I've assumed we were getting a Danielson/Moxley final, and Mox would turn heel by brutalising Orange Cassidy, but I actually love the suggestion someone made earlier of Cassidy catching him off-guard and beating him as the catalyst for him turning. It seems unlikely, because I doubt we get Danielson/Cassidy as a number one contenders match on PPV, but heel Moxley against Hangman Page would be a great first feud for the new champ.