The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Do you mean in a legal sense? It couldn't - legally that's completely fine to say. 

If anyone did call them out on it, I can't imagine Tony Khan would do anything other than backtrack, and rightly so. From an advertisers point of view, the risk to AEW in that scenario would be catastrophic - and Jeez, what can you really run with here, and to what gain? Someone was shot 3 times, Lady Gaga's dogs have been stolen (which, being a dog owner, I can say is a devastating prospect) and it really does not lend itself to a fun "war of words" news story. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm not passing judgment on whether or not he should have said it, I just think it was a massive - and slightly stupid - risk to take with no upside whatsoever. 

It'd be great for them if it kicked off. It was a bad taste line, don't get me wrong, but it's not *bad* controversy - it's not like it was bigoted. It's closer to if a comedian said it on Mock the Week or something - the channel can apologise, the company can apologise, and the wrestler can do a 'forced' apology. 

Realistically, it won't go anywhere, and it's just a shit line. But if this got massive social media, and then wider media, coverage? Handle it right, and it just builds awareness.

Between this and things like exploding barbed wire matches and last year's stuff with Mox/Omega, if AEW can toe the line of being progressive/woke in a lot of ways, but also have a perception of being a bit dangerous, that's a really strong combination.

59 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

That was the best episode of wrestling TV I've seen in ages. Really great watch.

As far as Big Show's Hall of Fame surprise, it's going to be Kurt Angle isnt it? He's signed up with Conrad Thompson, and he's sniffing about now. Probably see's Sting and see's his chance to go out of the game in a better way than doing a 4 minute job to Baron Corbin.

This was the first name that came to my mind also.

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Kurt Angle or CM Punk were my first thoughts. I’d laugh if it was Christian. That’d be the biggest example yet that they book for the Twitter hardcore. I’ve never considered Christian to have had a Hall of Fame career but every year people go nuts on Twitter when he’s not announced an inductee.

Have you seen the criteria to get in WWE Hall of Fame? It often feels like a case of 'who's available' rather than 'What have they achieved'😂

honestly, and no sarcasm here, I think if you have won a belt in WWE they see it as good enough reason to go in, they got enough material to build a video package around and Christian got a shed load of belt wins under his belt.

I'm a Christian fan but i would feel it's a let down, he's not a needle mover in 2021.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Kurt did some genuinely great work in TNA/Impact. It was a shame he wasn't able to deliver the same on his return to WWE really,  What's his health like these days?

On his podcast he's said he's in pretty horrendous pain all the time and needs major spinal surgery but he's putting it off while his kids are young because the recovery time will be six months plus. 

I never saw any of Kurt's WWE comeback. How did he look, I love the bloke but I remember as far back in TNA he almost had a permanent hunch position in his matches because he looked done;. State of his neck too.

He loved rough as fuck. In good shape but just completely knackered. Promos weren't good either, though that might be because he can't regurgitate written promos word for word any-more cos his heads so scrambled. Might be grand if you get him to stick to general points.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chili said:

I never saw any of Kurt's WWE comeback. How did he look, I love the bloke but I remember as far back in TNA he almost had a permanent hunch position in his matches because he looked done;. State of his neck too.

He was even further done. He wrestled like one of those clotheslining action figures that can only move at the waist. Only one point of articulation.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Have you seen the criteria to get in WWE Hall of Fame? It often feels like a case of 'who's available' rather than 'What have they achieved'

Oh, I completely understand that WWE’s Hall of Fame criteria is, “still alive and won’t generate bad press,” but the campaign for Christian on Twitter these last few years, you’d think he’d be a certified HOF headliner!

Can RVD still go? Wasn’t his eyesight so bad that he couldn’t get cleared by WWE, or something?

Edited by Supremo

What struck me the most with his WWE run was that he just looked so lost whenever he was in the ring, huge pauses between anything he did etc. He always looked like he was struggling to piece it all together. 

I actually think his return was one of the sadder things to have witnessed, he just looked an absolute shell. Poor sod. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Can RVD still go? Wasn’t his eyesight so bad that he couldn’t get cleared by WWE, or something?

He couldn't pass concussion testing in WWE last I heard. 

Christian is someone I never saw as a top guy in WWE when people were clamouring for it, nor when he actually started winning World titles. I always see Edge & Christian as a tag team greater than the sum of their parts; when he came back in the Rumble, I was excited to see them team together, then disappointed when Edge won because it was clear that wasn't the direction they were going in (yet, at least).