The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I took HOF worthy to mean could/should be in the HOF but isn't yet.

With Show saying "its not who you think" I would say Punk/Brock are out of the question.

Its going to be Kane isn't it.

Edit: Isn't RVD currently working on a documentary for the WWE Network?

Edited by rollthedice

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

That's not so much the point though, it's the potential for it to blow up on social media. A comparable example is Taylor Swift criticising a Netflix show which included the line "you go through men faster than Taylor Swift". 

This went viral, and the show pulled a lot of criticism. It's not beyond the realms of possibility at all that Lady Gaga might pick up on the line, and say something critical - forcing AEW to apologise. 

It's not about whether or not it has an impact on fan perception (though I'd argue that a media-storm isn't exactly going to attract new fans, and may put some parents off letting their kids watch AEW), it's about the impact it has with advertisers. Lady Gaga criticism and/or a Twitter storm about a crass line like that could be extremely damaging in that respect. Why risk it, is my point.

Slight difference there. The Taylor Swift thing could be considered defamation of character. This was a reference to a current event. Even then though, wrestlers are carnies and I'm sure if Lady Gaga gave them as much as a sniff they'd run with it. They probably do think it's worth the risk.

• Paid Members

Dynamite often feels like a show if two halves. Hour 1 is usually outstanding, while the second hour is average to pretty good. I think the placement of the segments was a bit weird and didn't really flow very well but this is pretty common in AEW.

The Shaq match was really fun and gotta give the big man props for taking a huge bump at the end. Velvet and Jade spent about 6 hours trying to set up those tables. With experience and that look Jade has all the potential in the world to become a breakout star for them. An attractive, charismatic athlete of her size and look...I'd have her doing all the press for the company.

The Young Bucks are fantastic babyface wrestlers but fucking hell are they unlikeable wrestling characters. The WWE writers are probably jealous and wish they could write babyfaces that unlikeable. 

Speaking of unlikeable, Scorpio Sky on commentary made me never want to watch another of his matches ever again or listen to his new podcast. No fucking clue what he was going for there. Insanely annoying generic heel shite.

Oh, Shawn Spears is back. That absolutely useless twat. This time he has a blonde mohawk...but will he have a character to go with it? No, of course not.

In 2021 a wrestling show featured Shaquille O'neal, Sting, Big Show, Tully Blanchard, JJ Dillon and Onita in prominent positions and it still felt like the focus was on the current generation. That's pretty cool.

Word is Marty "The Moth" Martinez is training at the Nightmare Factory. He was a really, really great character on Lucha Underground. Hopefully they bring him up to Dynamite. He had a barn burner of a hair vs mask match with Fenix that I'd recommend to anyone.

Sometimes in Dynamite the shows feel so stacked and busy that JR and Schiavone can't keep up. Plenty of stumbling and confusion between segments. Though this might be production issues I suppose.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Speaking of unlikeable, Scorpio Sky on commentary made me never want to watch another of his matches ever again or listen to his new podcast. No fucking clue what he was going for there. Insanely annoying generic heel shite.

I completely forgot about that. I hated it and not in a "he's a great heel" way, but in a "this guy won't shut up and I never want to see him again" way. Really unlikeable, really smug but not in an endearing way. Just talking over people and repeating shite catchphrases.

Good

JJ Dillon is here! Guy looks identical to what he looked like 35 years ago. I also marked the fuck out for Tully's robe and the classic US title. Lovely Crockett tribute complete with Dillon putting his shoe to good use. Tully looked knackered though haha, although I did feel sorry for him having to sell Luchasaurus' awkward indie bollocks.

Mixed tag was fine for what it was. Kudos to Shaq on that massive table bump, didn't see that coming. He looked better than expected although he was dressed like shit. Cargill looked like a future star.

Young Bucks had their best night in company history. Finally delivering something coherent, some backstory and building themselves as salt of the Earth white meat babyfaces. 

MJF had a cracking night. "Turkey tits" had me rolling.

Really cool and effective Omega/Moxley hype video. Awesome surprise seeing Onita on TV. Of course AEW didn't even bother giving him a name graphic.

John Silver is fantastic and I like him and Page as a high impact babyface tag team. Them being two guys that JR is genuinely enthusiastic about helps set them apart too.

Ricky Starks. Guy is a superstar.

Bad

I wasn't particularly thrilled to see The Big Show on my television. Nice bloke, great wrestler, and all that. But I fear he'll never shake off the staleness.

Bit worried about this other signing too. RVD is my worst fucking nightmare. 

Shitty booking of the women's tournament. The match this week took me back to the dark days of Emi Sakura and Kris Statlander, where they'd stop mid-match to do cutesy Chikara bollocks and kill the match flow dead. Way to sell the importance of the final. Fast forward.

How long before Shawn Spears and Scorpio Sky fall off the face of the Earth again? What half-arsed, go nowhere angle will they be involved in next? It's hard to care. And is Sky a babyface because BOY, if he is, he fucking suuuuucks.

Nightmare Family or The Gunn Club or Whateverthefuck continue to come off like complete tossers.

I saw it coming but still HATED preview battle royal brawl at the end. For a company that thinks it's beyond WWE shite they sure love copying their absolute worst tropes. Guys running out like idiots to get involved with a superspreader scramble, just in case you're too thick to remember what their 3000th battle royal or ladder match will look like. How is that meant to sell the match? What happened to promos? Just some 15 second inserts across the show would do.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It’s going to be himself isn’t it

That was my thought. Advertised as an announcer but tears off his suit to reveal ring gear. 

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Slight difference there. The Taylor Swift thing could be considered defamation of character. This was a reference to a current event. Even then though, wrestlers are carnies and I'm sure if Lady Gaga gave them as much as a sniff they'd run with it. They probably do think it's worth the risk.

Do you mean in a legal sense? It couldn't - legally that's completely fine to say. 

If anyone did call them out on it, I can't imagine Tony Khan would do anything other than backtrack, and rightly so. From an advertisers point of view, the risk to AEW in that scenario would be catastrophic - and Jeez, what can you really run with here, and to what gain? Someone was shot 3 times, Lady Gaga's dogs have been stolen (which, being a dog owner, I can say is a devastating prospect) and it really does not lend itself to a fun "war of words" news story. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm not passing judgment on whether or not he should have said it, I just think it was a massive - and slightly stupid - risk to take with no upside whatsoever. 

• Paid Members

That was the best episode of wrestling TV I've seen in ages. Really great watch.

As far as Big Show's Hall of Fame surprise, it's going to be Kurt Angle isnt it? He's signed up with Conrad Thompson, and he's sniffing about now. Probably see's Sting and see's his chance to go out of the game in a better way than doing a 4 minute job to Baron Corbin.