The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Is there any reason why they couldn’t do a scaled down stadium show for the PPVs. WWE are running in Tampa in a few weeks for Wrestlemania and the NFL had fans in attendance this season including the Super Bowl, which was also held in Tampa.

Even if the set it up down in one quarter of the pitch, it at least looks different to the rest of what they’ve been putting out for the last year.

They should definitely have the PPVs on the same pitch where they filmed the Stadium Stampede. The Khans own it and it's part of the same complex that they film Dynamite every week so you'd think it would be easy enough. 

• Paid Members

The 3 matches on the Womens show last night were all good fun, although I found Riho vs Thunder Rosa a little underwhelming. If you want to watch it the direct link is below, as if you go through AEWs youtube page you have to scroll past a thumbnail which spoils this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwOgSBHf3c

Rosa's good but she's just not as technically sound as Deeb, she didnt click with Riho quite as well but it was still solid. The six woman match was great fun and a perfect intro to Joshi for people who haven't seen it before, I like that Taz isn't taking the piss like I kind of imagined he might have, no idea why but the thought crept into my head.

Personally I found the six woman tag to be overly long and the comedy spots just didn't click with me.

I wouldn't recommend that match to non fans in a million years. 

Honestly Maki Itoh without any of the vulgarity just comes across as a bit of an idiot.

I've completely lost interest in the rest of the tournament. Two of the final three have already faced Shida on PPV and the other only ever appeared once for AEW before so there's zero investment even if she wins the whole thing. 

Just more half arsed booking of the women imo and I bet we won't see the vast majority of the Japanese side again anytime soon.

Petty commentary complaint time. 

Maki Itoh was already wrestling on occasion before being shit canned from her idol group, it wasn't something she picked up afterwards.

Think it was through her idol ties that she got involved with DDT. 

• Paid Members

Also thought the last show was underwhelming. Joshi comedy isn’t as funny or cute as it thinks it is. Makes everyone look really stupid.

None of the matches blew me away. 

• Paid Members

Not all of the six-person tag worked for me, but there was plenty that did. The spot with Emi/Shida doing the same moves was nice, and there was a crossing double-dropkick spot that I liked a lot. Overlong, but it kept my interest.

The semi-final, I enjoyed a lot. I'm liking the winner a lot more than I did at the start of the tournament, and I hope they get the PPV match - she seems really fun.

Thunder Rosa/Riho was so fast moving. The energy throughout made it feel like a bigger deal.

Totally get anyone not won over, but I think this has been a really solid tournament. One of the finalists feels like a much bigger deal and there are a few of the others I want to see again. 

I've enjoyed this tournament quite a bit although I'm not sure anyone in their right mind predicted that final. I'm quite pleasantly surprised tbh. 

The Japanese side of the bracket was very good. Much prefer Emi Sakura in this gimmick. I enjoyed Mizanami at DON 2019, so I've liked getting a better look. I liked Veny and Mei Suigura but Rin Kadokura was dull as dishwater. 

Obviously, the big draws from this bracket are Yuka Sakazaki and Maki Itoh. Yuka could be what Kairi Sane was supposed to be in WWE, a really exciting underdog baby-face who could connect with a younger audience. Itoh, even without the vulgarity is brilliant. Full of charisma, genuinely likable in an impish way and moves and sells really uniquely and well. 

I can't think of anyone who has improved as much as Britt Baker in the last 18 months. On every level she's improved 100%. One thing that doesn't get brought up much is her physical transformation. She's added muscle mass and her stuff looks much more solid for it.

Nyla Rose has come on a lot over the last 18 months and this tournament has been pretty good for her. I think the absence of Vicky Guerrero has been a positive.

That Riho Vs Serena Deeb match was excellent. I've missed Riho, in the first 6 months if AEW she was head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of match quality and still has Nyla Rose's two best matches IMO.

Other than showcasing lots of lovely gear, Thunder Rosa hasn't covered herself in glory for me. Obviously discounting her first round match, she's underwhelmed against people who've done much better stuff earlier in the tournament. 

Shida's got to be dropping the belt at Double or Nothing though, surely?

Edited by BrodyGraham
Spoilers.

• Paid Members

I'd suggest putting some of that in spoilers, dude. It's still pretty new and a bit under-watched.

It's interesting to see AEW running a tournament in a way closer to how New Japan does - the finalists go forward, and the losers gets on the card in multi-person matches. The US hasn't classically done tournaments that well, whereas it's absolutely key to NJPW's output. If AEW can start doing tournament stuff well, this could become interesting. It was a good way to build Omega, and it feels like the finalists in this tournament have more going for them by the end of it. I also think that the final could be a hell of a match.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I'd suggest putting some of that in spoilers, dude. It's still pretty new and a bit under-watched.

It's interesting to see AEW running a tournament in a way closer to how New Japan does - the finalists go forward, and the losers gets on the card in multi-person matches. The US hasn't classically done tournaments that well, whereas it's absolutely key to NJPW's output. If AEW can start doing tournament stuff well, this could become interesting. It was a good way to build Omega, and it feels like the finalists in this tournament have more going for them by the end of it. I also think that the final could be a hell of a match.

Fixed. Cheers. I love a tournament and I see them as such a useful tool for building talent and stories. It's genuinely galling that WWE shunned them for so long. I also think it's one of New Japan's strengths in that having the calender split up into tournament seasons gives the full roster a chance to be front and centre for at least a portion of the year.

I'd love AEW to adopt annual tournament seasons.

• Paid Members

Just watching the tail end of last week's episode. That somersault going over Jake's head was beautiful.

• Paid Members

Nyla is definitely better without Vickie Guerrero. She's completely unnecessary. Nyla can do a decent promo and as a monster doesn't need a manager to cheat for her. Plus Vickies act was played out years before she left WWE let alone now.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Nyla is definitely better without Vickie Guerrero. She's completely unnecessary. Nyla can do a decent promo and as a monster doesn't need a manager to cheat for her. Plus Vickies act was played out years before she left WWE let alone now.

Agreed. It was nice for WWE to keep her on board and she did find something she could do far better than a lot of people at the time, but that's run its course.

Edited by seph