The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

29 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Just watching Dark and who the hell is JD Drake?!?

Former Evolve guy.  He wrestled here for Progress too.  He's great, seen him live a couple of times.  Not sure why WWE didn't sign him with all the other Evolve guys.   Think he'd had WWE tryouts before too.  He even wrestled on a NXT show.

Edited by The Dart

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Jacko said:

I like it big show is a very well known face from wwe yes he’s out of his prime but he will still get eyeballs on the product 

Whose eyeballs? If they’re bringing him in to wrestle, surely anyone that has an inclination to see him wrestle surely had enough chances over the last 20 years to do so, and when he’s been capable of a hell of a lot more than he is now. Isn’t AEW supposed to try and catch people that got bored of WWE, I’m not sure hoovering up someone WWE themselves eventually got bored of will help. “Ugh, not Kane and Big Show” was one of the prevailing comments about that dreadful Rumble that Reigns won six whole years ago, so who’s left wanting to see him wrestle in 2021? Nice bloke and all that but... Jesus.

If they’re not bringing him in to wrestle, maybe I’m naive but I still believe the majority of wrestling fans decide to watch the wrestling tv for the most part based on which wrestlers are doing the wrestling matches, until someone invents a time machine and comes back with Jim Ross, Bobby Heenan, Tammy Sytch and The Fink all at the peak of their respective talents.

I get the view of people groaning when seeing show/Kane appear. That’s always  felt to be due to us seeing wwe have them do the exact same things time and time again. Hopefully he’s a less is more signing in ring wise, if he gives classes to the big guys telling them to stop bumping for every move they are hit with as it makes you worth a fraction of what you should be then it’ll be worth it for that alone. 

I was a little disappointed that they didn't have any contribution from Paul Wight, but this was a fun little show. 

Baker/Rose was probably my favourite women's matches in Dynamite to date, and I was actually more invested in that than in any other match on this show. I'm really disappointed that they've chosen not to pull the trigger on the much needed (for this division) Britt Baker title win just yet. I'm guessing we're going to get Shida/Riho from this, and frankly, it's not something I have any desire to see. For fuck's sake, just put the title on Britt already. 

The Papa Buck angle was very predictable, but his selling was so hilarious that I'm glad they did it. 

Jon Moxley's promo was typically brilliant, but Kenny and Callis aren't working for me. I'd go as far as to say they should just ditch Callis, Kenny was doing fine without him. After a strong start as a heel, Kenny has become a bit shit. His storyline with The Bucks is convoluted as fuck, his brand of comedy isn't particularly funny and he's just not holding up his end of the feud with Moxley. 

I was worried I'd never be able to say this, but Miro and Matt Hardy are both starting to click. Big Money Matt is a fun character (although I'm not a big fan of Private Party) and Miro's gangster-like act has potential - they just need to get him away from Kip. 

The Varsity Blondes are also brilliant, they're seriously underrated as a tag team in my view. I'd like to see them get a proper push. 

Archer/Fenix was a lot of fun, although I've no fucking idea why they've had to qualify while Scorpio Sky, who hasn't done anything of note for a long while, has automatically landed a place in the match they were trying to qualify for. 

Max Caster vs. Prest10 Vance is intriguing, as far as next week goes. The Acclaimed are firing on all cylinders right now, but Caster would be an odd addition to that match. Vance feels like someone they could do a lot more with, but given Hardy's vow to mess with The Dark Order, you'd have to think that'll come into play. 

It’s a shame no one remembered that Adam Page/Cassidy had a 20 minute time limit, and instead let it go on for 3 days.

Fun show, defined for me by the Pre-Page and Post-page divide. 

I like Adam Page, but going life and death with a member of Private Party I can do without and the match seemed to happen in slow motion. It sort of killed me on the show.

I also don’t really like Lance Archer, so the main event was a little lost on me.

I thought the Sting/Allin angle was as well booked as that story has been (besides Darby’s silly film project bit before Sting came out), Moxley was great and Jericho/MJF brought their story along nicely.

I actually really Enjoyed the Cage/Stars vs Varsity Blondes match. Young Pillman took a hell of a beating, including a very reckless power bomb outside by Cage that looked like absolute agony.

Yet another great women's match, the booking of the division may still not be perfect but the in-ring action has been way up there recently with this tournament on both sides. I'm looking forward to Sundays show.

Was this show filmed in advance? There seemed to be a fair few cuts and edits during commentary, I noticed it most when Tony was talking about Paul Wight.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I thought the Sting/Allin angle was as well booked as that story has been (besides Darby’s silly film project bit before Sting came out)

I really like Darby's films, and the fact they mainly have Darby communicate with his opponents in this very abstract, slightly creepy way. I agree with your thoughts about the angle though, they did a good job. 

6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Was this show filmed in advance? There seemed to be a fair few cuts and edits during commentary, I noticed it most when Tony was talking about Paul Wight.

That's a good question actually, and would explain why hardly anyone mentioned the guy. 

• Paid Members

I read recently that they're (quietly) doing alternate live and taped shows. There have been occasional matches (like Jungle Boy vs Dax Harwood) which have been described as 'AEW people are really excited for audiences to see this match', which usually means more 'the match was really good' rather than 'this is expected to be a really good match'. 

They're doing a basically good job of keeping spoilers from airing when they do - limited crowds will obviously help. 

• Paid Members

Me and a mate were hyped up about the Lance Archer vs Rey Fenix match and the possible Paul Wight stuff so we stayed up and watched on Fite over Discord. Hell of a show. It's been a long time since I stayed up to watch wrestling live, and even longer since I didn't regret it. 

Main event was ace, the women's match was great too. Really enjoyed the Sting stuff and it seems it's finally picking up steam. Not sure why Hangman went on so long with Isaah Cassidy but it was a top match with some really good working a body part. Top to bottom a show worth staying up for. I'm all aboard the hype train for the PPV.

I really liked the whole deal with Varsity Blondes and Team Tazz. The Blondes have that blowjob babyface tag team energy about them, Garrison in particular is fun to watch, like an explosive young Sam Houston. The brawl and Darby Allin on the zipline felt super hot and continued to give this feud some feeling after weeks of standing about. Tony, unfortunately, did sound a bit Michael Cole on commentary while hyping the segment. Despite Starks sticking out like a sore thumb, Team Tazz is awesome and fun and feel more like a unit than the Inner Circle ever did.

Omega and Callis are clowning way to much now for my tastes. It's a shame, they've shown flashes of being a hot main event level act when they stop pissing about. But they can't resist the bad comedy and nudge nudge, wink wink insider bullshit.

That beatdown of Papa Buck with the Ketchup on his face was embarrassing to watch.

The women's division feels like it's finally turning things around. In fact, I'd say in 2021 it has pissed all over WWE's, which is bonkers considering where it was not too long ago. Both Nyla vs Britt and Lance vs Fenix were such uncharacteristically odd matches for AEW to book though. I can't even remember the last time I saw Nyla Rose. Her snuffing out rising star Britt from out of nowhere felt strangely deflating and seemed like the sort of thing that would lead to Baker receiving sympathy cheers. 

I was distracted during the main event and will watch it back later, but the bits I caught of it looked predictably fun. Archer's babyface run has been fairly weak so far and I'm just itching for him to dump the glomming tosspot Jake Roberts and go smashing through a bunch of dumb heels.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

1 hour ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

The women's division feels like it's finally turning things around. In fact, I'd say in 2021 it has pissed all over WWE's, which is bonkers considering where it was not too long ago. Both Nyla vs Britt and Lance vs Fenix were such uncharacteristically odd matches for AEW to book though. I can't even remember the last time I saw Nyla Rose. Her snuffing out rising star Britt from out of nowhere felt strangely deflating and seemed like the sort of thing that would lead to Baker receiving sympathy cheers. 

Something that crossed my mind is that they might want to save Shida/Britt (and the title change) as a Dynamite main event. If Britt is to win the title in the first main event Women's match in Dynamite history, then that's a far bigger deal than having her win the belt in the middle of the card at Revolution, as part of a PPV that will, for better or worse, likely be remembered more for the Moxley/Omega gimmick match than it will for anything else. 

If you have Britt win the belt in a Dynamite main event, it cements Britt as a much bigger deal than she already is, and also gives the division itself a much needed lift.