The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

The ketchup just felt silly. 

Had they just been holding him whilst he did his silly face and then rammed him into the van, it’d have worked just as well.

I think they just wanted the ‘cool’ visual of the blood running down Matt Jackson’s face on the van, but it was just a bit hokey.

4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Yet another great women's match, the booking of the division may still not be perfect but the in-ring action has been way up there recently with this tournament on both sides. I'm looking forward to Sundays show.

Was this show filmed in advance? There seemed to be a fair few cuts and edits during commentary, I noticed it most when Tony was talking about Paul Wight.

AEW (usually) films live every other Wednesday and tapes the alternate weeks episode the following day. Like the old Monday Night RAW schedule of Mondays and Tuesdays (for the next week).

• Paid Members

I get why they film two episodes at a time. It must save a fortune in production costs. But the taped show always feels a bit weird, especially with the bits randomly inserted in commentary in post production. The commentary as a whole was pretty dreadful this week. JR just sucks the life out of it with his ramblings.

Really good episode this week. My only complaints are very minor: the Page match was too long, Baker should have won and Hardy attacking Fives was a bit too similar an angle to Jericho/MJF attacking the Bucks dad. Omega doing weird backstage skits isn't really working. If Kenny is having Callis around then Callis should be cutting promos because he's fucking great at them. Kip Sabian being shit as always.

Everything else was golden though. The womens match is probably the best they've ever had. Fenix/Archer was a mental and highly enjoyable mess, both men feel like they are really getting over at the moment. The Sting/Allin stuff was really fun and I wish more than anything they could have done it in front of a live crowd like in the good old days...the roof would have exploded. Jericho/MJF attacking the Bucks dad adds some much needed heat to this quickly put together feud. Heels hysterically laughing while driving away from a chasing babyface will never not be absolute gold. Miro's Eastern European gangster/bully character is coming along nicely and will hopefully be really special once he dumps the useless Kip.

Revolution is an absolutely stacked card. Though I could do without another tag team battle royale. The Jurassic Express six man should be on the PPV. Really looking forward to that actually.

What a loving son Matt Jackson is, letting his mates to go the hospital with his dad. I just picture him opening his eyes, “Nick....where am I? Where’s Matt? Who are these two cunts?”

Is that AEW’s first count out? Or does it not count if it’s on the Japanese side of the bracket?

Apparently you can just run out and tell the ref that something happened and they’ll just believe you, just like when Kevin Nash won that powerbomb match by telling the ref “yeah mate, I definitely hit him with the powerbomb, now ring the bell”.

JR seemed quite quiet for most the night (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing), then the one time he actually opens his mouth it’s to mention Dick Murdoch, a card carrying member of the KKK, during Isiah Kassidy’s match. Bet he’ll love that when he watches it back.

Lance Archer finally feels like he’s back to where he was a year ago when he came in murderising everyone

15 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

What a loving son Matt Jackson is, letting his mates to go the hospital with his dad. I just picture him opening his eyes, “Nick....where am I? Where’s Matt? Who are these two cunts?”

He stayed behind to take care of his mum. Somebody said so before they closed the ambulance door..

• Paid Members

One of the major criticisms of WWE is that it creates way too much product for anyone with a life to keep up with.

Not sure I'm on board with AEW looking to produce two TNT and another two Youtube shows every week. Seems way too much.

https://whatculture.com/wwe/tony-khan-reiterates-plans-for-a-second-aew-tnt-show-to-premiere-in-2021

Edited by garynysmon

1 minute ago, garynysmon said:

One of the major criticisms of WWE is that it creates way too much product for anyone with a life to keep up with.

Not sure I'm on board with AEW looking to produce two TNT and another two Youtube shows every week. Seems way too much.

https://whatculture.com/wwe/tony-khan-reiterates-plans-for-a-second-aew-tnt-show-to-premiere-in-2021

It very much depends to me on what these shows are. The name "Elevation" suggests that show may act as some kind of bridge between AEW Dark and Dynamite. Whether it's the equivalent of divisions, with wrestlers fighting to earn an opportunity of some kind on Dynamite, whether it's a better constructed version of the original NXT, or whether it's something else entirely - there's definitely scope for AEW to do something different that people may be willing to watch. 

If it's essentially "AEW Dark, but only an hour long" then yeah, it's a little redundant. I'm hoping that it's something a little more creative than that, though. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

WWE has always produced a lot of content though, and it hasn't been an issue. They've always had B and C shows, and it's only more recently it's been a significant problem. 

I reckon this isn't anything to do with the shows - it's that each show is effectively its own division. And they're all (sort of) pushed as 'important', to the point where any of them might be on a PPV or you might be expected to know who they are.

Off the top of my head (and I might be wrong, because I've not watched in some time), you've got:

WWE champion

Universal champion

Women's champion

Raw Tag Team champions

Smackdown champions

Women's Tag Team champions

US champion

Intercontinental champion

24/7 champion

NXT champion

North American champion

NXT Tag Team champions

NXT UK champion

NXT UK women's champion

NXT UK Tag Team champions

205 Champion

Every brand has multiple championships, and it's too much to keep track of and care about.

AEW doesn't have a 'Dark' champion, and it's unlikely to have an 'Elevation' champion. The shows aren't necessary to keep track of things. Off the top of my head, the most important occurences on Dark have been the feud between Brandon Cutler and Peter Avalon (which I enjoyed enormously, to be fair), and the teaming of Luther and Serpentico (which nobody is expected to care about).

It's a place for stars to rack up wins, an occasional competitive match between stars, and paydays for the boys. If you don't watch it, you're not missing much that you need for the main show. It's almost certainly going to be the same with Elevation once the show is established.