The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

One of the major criticisms of WWE is that it creates way too much product for anyone with a life to keep up with.

Not sure I'm on board with AEW looking to produce two TNT and another two Youtube shows every week. Seems way too much.

https://whatculture.com/wwe/tony-khan-reiterates-plans-for-a-second-aew-tnt-show-to-premiere-in-2021

You don't really need to keep up with the YouTube shows though. I can't think of a single time that a storyline on Dark has crossed over to Dynamite or lead to a PPV match. Dark gets a small fraction of the audience that Dynamite does.

28 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

r/SquaredCircle - Pentagon Jr holding a sword is the single most badass thing I’ve seen all year

Just reminded me of the time I saw Pentagon with a sword. He'd fuck up Drew McIntyre something rotten.

Jesus Christ, what a look.

Re: the new shows in the pipeline, it's crucial each show has its own identity, style and roster. If it's just another content provider of the same brand and format, then it only dilutes their quality, especially if they insist on having angles run in-depth across multiple shows. An inconsequential wink or nod in the odd match with a star in a known storyline, maybe, but the idea of having to keep up with 8 hours of TV a week to keep track is a recipe for fatigue, burnout and boredom. It's everything we accuse WWE of.

Unless the new shows are radical departure, I'll be sticking to that sweet spot of a Dynamite a week and the odd Dark match (NOT full show) while I'm eating my dinner, thanks.

Been mostly background watching Dynamite for a while but started watching with an older relative recently. He watched one or two shows a while back but we have decided to make Dynamite a regular watch for us. 

He's someone who hasn't watched wrestling for years, massive Undertaker fan back in the day, has no interest in work rate or indie darlings and had no time for women's wrestling. 

He's really getting into the characters and stories, was impressed by Rose/Baker and really enjoyed the main event. 

He also offered to pay for Revolution.

Score.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Re: the new shows in the pipeline, it's crucial each show has its own identity, style and roster. If it's just another content provider of the same brand and format, then it only dilutes their quality, especially if they insist on having angles run in-depth across multiple shows. An inconsequential wink or nod in the odd match with a star in a known storyline, maybe, but the idea of having to keep up with 8 hours of TV a week to keep track is a recipe for fatigue, burnout and boredom. It's everything we accuse WWE of.

Unless the new shows are radical departure, I'll be sticking to that sweet spot of a Dynamite a week and the odd Dark match (NOT full show) while I'm eating my dinner, thanks.

They haven't done that with Dark though, and there's nothing to suggest they would or should. As you say, the sweet spot is catching whatever of Dark you fancy and mainly watching Dynamite. They don't need to separate out the rosters - that's one of the reasons why watching WWE had become so exhausting. Because there are a handful of wrestlers that you could only see on each show, so unless all your favourites were on the same show, you had to watch each to keep up with the people you liked.

When they talk about it being 'in continuity', I reckon they're mainly saying that it's counted as part of each wrestler's record and not much more than that. Building stories across all the shows would be a terrible idea, but I don't see much suggestion of that happening.

Record the new show in the car park or something, every show having the same set up is repetitive enough with dynamite and the ppvs nearly a year in 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

Record the new show in the car park or something, every show having the same set up is repetitive enough with dynamite and the ppvs nearly a year in 

Is there any reason why they couldn’t do a scaled down stadium show for the PPVs. WWE are running in Tampa in a few weeks for Wrestlemania and the NFL had fans in attendance this season including the Super Bowl, which was also held in Tampa.

Even if the set it up down in one quarter of the pitch, it at least looks different to the rest of what they’ve been putting out for the last year.

Or it just a case of it being being easier to hide the crowd if the attendance is low, they don’t seem to have been showing the fans on Dynamite as much as they did a few months ago.

17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The exploding barbed wire deathmatch has to be in the stadium, right? If they really want to evoke the feelings of the Kawasaki shows.

Also saves time setting up the ring. 

Though I miss seeing the big blue cage being set up, back in the day. Used to really get hyped for the match.