The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

In the early days of ROH you had the likes of Williams, Danielson, Donovan Morgan, Matt Stryker (the other one), Chad Collyer and others. Catch might not be the right term but there's always been the more straight wrestling based style present in ROH.

Edited by BrodyGraham

21 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I have to say this isn't the RoH I remember seeing - I remember them as being the essence of indyriffic high-spot-monkey style, and some of that has jumped over to AEW. If they have it now, fair enough, but they definitely did not have it in their earlier years.

I'll always remember RoH for shitting the bed at MSG. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Who would want to work with ROH? And why?! So you can do a show together in Madison Square Garden where they absolutely shit the bed, bringing in dickheads like Enzo and Cas? It’s been a matter of time ever since ROH bombed that show that New Japan would fuck them off. I’m surprised it took this long.

ROH were worthwhile as a US connection for a lot of reasons, all of which become less relevant by the day.

Japanese companies value foreign championships, and talent exchanges with foreign promotions, for a lot of "legacy" reasons. NJPW having their own foothold in the US, and now working with AEW on top of that, render ROH pretty redundant.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

In the early days of ROH you had the likes of Williams, Danielson, Donovan Morgan, Matt Stryker (the other one), Chad Collyer and others. Catch might not be the right term but there's always been the more straight wrestling based style present in ROH.

2003 called, they want their roster back

• Paid Members

That main event was fantastic - the speed of stuff from Fennix and Pac was ridiculous. As was the opening battle royal. The lumberjack match was fine, although I zoned out a bit. Shida/Britt was a lot of fun. 

I didn't mind the wedding. It's a wedding wrestling - it's not like I was expecting it to be good. It was fine, and the 'What is love' stuff made me laugh. I liked the basic idea that the wedding happened and Miro thinking he'd outstmarted them. 

I can't quite understand watching that show and the main thing you'd come away talking about being the wedding. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Chris B said:

I can't quite understand watching that show and the main thing you'd come away talking about being the wedding. 

Horses for courses surely? Personally speaking, I put a post in here about the wedding just after I had watched that god awful segment. Its a segment that has been going for months, so of course people are going to discuss it as it was a major selling point of the episode. If it was just a backstage skit, I could understand, but with it being a major segment, why shouldn't people come away from the episode discussing it? 

• Paid Members

Have I remembered it wrong or was Cody’s mixed tag match originally announced for the Pay Per View, then switched to Dynamite? Makes me wonder if they rehearsed it and realised it could never be done live due to Shaq and Jade’s inexperience, so they’re going to pre-tape and edit it.

• Paid Members

If it means we can get past this Shaq stuff sooner and move Cody into a proper program I’m all for it.

Have Kota Ibushi and Rey Fenix ever had a one-on-one match? Ever since it became apparent they’re working with New Japan it’s all I’ve thought about. That and Eddie Kingston fighting Minoru Suzuki.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Have Kota Ibushi and Rey Fenix ever had a one-on-one match? 

Nope - closest they've come is the six-man tag at All-In.

It does raise an interesting question; NJPW have a long-standing relationship with CMLL, AEW have some kind of relationship with AAA - traditionally, both of those promotions are very strict about wrestlers who work for one not being booked against wrestlers who work for the other. That's loosened up in recent years, and Fenix has been one of the wrestlers who briefly benefited from that, but it's always fascinating to me when you have conflicting promotions sort of working together through a third party. Similarly, NJPW under Gedo have held a long grudge against Impact. AEW could increasingly become a kind of neutral ground.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Ah, sorry - I remember some of the matches from back then, and they just look to me like a load of big moves, they just happened to look "grapply", so to speak. Danielson and Williams were probably the most straight wrestling, but they still seemed to me to be wrestling a spotty style - probably because that was what the fanbase expected. At least, that's what it looked like to me.