The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Regarding the whole Nightmare Family thing - bit of a reach, but is it possible they're trying to copy the dojo/gym culture of MMA? Like how you have fighters training with and "fighting out of" Tri-Star, American Top Team, etc., perhaps Cody's pushing a hybrid of stables and dojos, with trainees, rookies and lower-level guys building up their careers within these groups?

Came in to post the same thing. I think it's meant to be a group they train with as much as anything.

Makea sense for Taz, not really for Cody.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chili said:

It's so interesting to think what AEW would have done had they still ran arena's. I can't fathom what they'd be up to.

You mean if COVID hadn't happened and they had crowds? A lot of the same I reckon but they would probably be much more popular. So much stuff has happened that a live crowd would have gone absolutely mental for, there's no way they wouldn't be spanking NXT in the ratings even more than they are now.

In Adam Page news:

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Regarding the whole Nightmare Family thing - bit of a reach, but is it possible they're trying to copy the dojo/gym culture of MMA? Like how you have fighters training with and "fighting out of" Tri-Star, American Top Team, etc., perhaps Cody's pushing a hybrid of stables and dojos, with trainees, rookies and lower-level guys building up their careers within these groups?

It makes sense in as much as you want to flesh out the 'lower' members' involvement, we have very little insight into QT, Johnson et al. in terms of framing their presence in the Family in a digestable 'fabe format. And it's also a good starting point to feed discord on whoever you want turning out of the stable. It wouldn't work as well wiith Team Taz because we already have the ropey-heel-cohesion with the Inner Circle, let that blow up / level off first.

• Paid Members

I've read online today that due to Covid restrictions, the wedding last week was actually a legit wedding ceremony between the two, with Kip and Penelope getting married a few days before in this way as his parents wouldn't be able to travel to America for the wedding. So they did the legal side of it and then decided to use the actual TV taping to be the ceremony for their real marraige.

That's pretty cool. Even if everything was hokey as hell.

• Paid Members

My first real match of the year candidate. AEW are really great at the crazy, arena-wide brawl. So much fun. “He potato’d him!”

Everyone came out of it looking a millions dollars but none more so than Lance Archer. When someone suggested he could face Omega for the Title at the pay per view I didn’t really see it happening but now I’m going to be super gutted if we get anything else.

I’m also fully in on next week’s Tag Title match. I can completely buy that the Good Brothers might cost the Bucks the titles, leading to Inner Circle vs. Inner Circle at the PPV. Perfect booking for next week, with four great workers who’ll almost certainly have a banger, where I’m super invested in the outcome. Awesome. I’m pulling for my guys LAX!

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Everyone came out of it looking a millions dollars but none more so than Lance Archer. When someone suggested he could face Omega for the Title at the pay per view I didn’t really see it happening but now I’m going to be super gutted if we get anything else.

This is exactly how I'm feeling, and I could certainly see it happening, with Moxley facing KENTA instead of having a rematch with Omega. I feel, simultaneously, like they're using Archer really well, but also that they could be doing more with him. He's brilliant. 

I enjoyed most of this show, and I'm actually quite enjoying the dynamic between Matt Hardy and Hangman Page. Hopefully Hardy has turned the corner as a character. A Hardy/Page match at Revolution could be a lot of fun. 

I liked The Inner Circle stuff, but there are a few holes in that story that I'd like them to close. They've acknowledged that there's no "invisible camera" in Dynamite, but MJF tried to secretly record Sammy, presumably to frame him, while he was being filmed? They could frame it by saying MJF was trying to wind Sammy up, MJF could feign sincerity, believing Sammy meant what he said, but ultimately the fact it's all been filmed makes everyone else in the Inner Circle look very naive. For me it was a weak point in an otherwise strong storyline. 

The Acclaimed are really starting to win me over. I wasn't really sold on the act at first, but it's really starting to click. Layla Hirsch is another wrestler who is full of promise. I really enjoy Thunder Rosa, but I really found myself wanting Hirsch to win this one. 

I'm also enjoying Alex Marvez turning up at the most unusual of locations to interview wrestlers. He's a terrible announcer, but there's something endearing about the guy in this role. 

The Cody match was what it was...Lee Johnson looks good in ring, but the framing of his win as a big, emotional moment came out of nowhere. He really struggled on the mic too. 

Talking of mic work, while he still has some way to go, I thought Jungle Boy showed signs of improvement in that respect with the promo he cut against FTR. The problem is, I'd rather watch a JB/Harwood rematch at Revolution than I would a tag match...

59 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Talking of mic work, while he still has some way to go, I thought Jungle Boy showed signs of improvement in that respect with the promo he cut against FTR. The problem is, I'd rather watch a JB/Harwood rematch at Revolution than I would a tag match...

Yes more and more by the week I feel that luchasaurus and especially Marko are becoming less relevant and more albatrosses around jungle boy stopping him becoming a big star 

25 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Yes more and more by the week I feel that luchasaurus and especially Marko are becoming less relevant and more albatrosses around jungle boy stopping him becoming a big star 

They're a group with an obviously defined lead star, what do you want them to do? It's in the very early building stages, it won't start peaking until the early Summer.

Best Dynamite in months for me. There's been episodes where some of the stuff has been better, but then they throw in something proper eye rolly to detract from it. Nothing cringey for me this week and everything served a purpose I could get behind.

The opener was Janela's best match since the Lights Out match with Kenny on the opening weeks of Dark and was a much needed reminder of what they've got bell to bell with Darby.

Looks like they're teasing a QT Marshall heel turn, which if nothing else gets him away from Dustin.

Nice progression on the Inner Circle Story.

I love that they booked PAC in the Monster Squashing a Scrub spot, that they usually reserve for the Archer/Wardlow types. No one in wrestling projects intent and malice like PAC and I love that they showcased that.

Enjoyed the Women's match. Rosa and Hirsch both feel serious and legit (sorry), although I could have done without Hirsch whiffing on the moonsault twice consecutively.

As an aside my little girl is SUPER excited about the Women's Tournament. She misses watching wrestling with me and since I don't watch NXT anymore the dearth of Women's wrestling in AEW kinda killed that for us as she didn't see anyone she connected with, especially since the Japanese lasses have been out. She's already solidly behind Yuka and has decided that Maki Itoh is her favourite based solely on her cuteness.

Great Main Event. I got out of my seat for the diving foot stomp spot. Everyone came out of that match looking great and the tease of more of this kind of thing feels exciting.

Oh, that Young Bucks/Good Brothers bit was a little bit crap, but if that was the worst thing on the show, then I'm ok with it.

• Paid Members

@BrodyGrahamthe women's tournament is gonna be excellent, they've worked out a really smart way of doing it and reintroducing some names as well as debuting some new ones that could come over once restrictions are lifted and they continue to be the super indy they are. Maki Itoh is fantastic too, just don't let your little one anywhere near her social media, never seen someone swear so much and still be adorable.

I made a realisation this morning that AEW is genuinely becoming like PWG, but like the turbocharged version of it. A super indy tying together all the major companies in the world that aren't WWE, giving work rate matches people want to see, comedy bits that work for some and having a laugh and loving their job. Its even got Excalibur!

Real fun wild brawl for the main event with just the right amount of comedy. Schiavone was classic. Omega is such a brilliant smug dickhead I'm always left wanting more.

Darby Allin's fantastic and delivers the best match of Joey Janela's AEW career.

Cody feels like someone booking themselves transitioning out of the business.

Really looking forward to Riho vs Serena Deeb next week.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

What I loved about last nights show was how well the characters are put together. 

Sammy Guevara told Jericho if MJF fucked with him one more time he was quitting the Inner Circle and he was a man of his word. 

Adam Page outsmarting Hardy was great to see. Basic wrestling logic should have the good guys being smart. 

Omega playing golf and needing his ego placated by Callis dropping the ball into the hole was a great heel thing. I also like Alex Marvez in this situations. 

Also, AEW know how to do a falls count anywhere match don't they? 

2 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

What I loved about last nights show was how well the characters are put together. 

Sammy Guevara told Jericho if MJF fucked with him one more time he was quitting the Inner Circle and he was a man of his word. 

Adam Page outsmarting Hardy was great to see. Basic wrestling logic should have the good guys being smart. 

Omega playing golf and needing his ego placated by Callis dropping the ball into the hole was a great heel thing. I also like Alex Marvez in this situations. 

Also, AEW know how to do a falls count anywhere match don't they? 

I agree to a point, but MJF attempting to secretly record Sammy whilst the camera was on him was a bit weird.

Like, if Inner Circle watch that tape back there’s no way they can see anything other than MJF being a turd.