The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
Just now, theringmaster said:

Hasn't the Joshi experiment  already failed in AEW?

If by "failed" you mean provided them with their current women's champion, and their first women's champion who was a consistent draw, particularly with female fans, then I suppose so, yeah. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Hasn't the Joshi experiment  already failed in AEW?

No.

Just noticed in the opening video that Brandi is the first person shown. Of course she fucking is. 😫

The Lights Out and Darby/Janela matches next week should be nuts.

Cody in a tag with three random jobbers...not so much.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Joshi experiment got halted due to the pandemic, but they had wins out of it. Riho had got pretty over, as much as some hated her, and Shida is great for them. Might not be the right person to be champion, but they don't really have many better options other than Britt Baker. That's not a total failure - and suggests they could improve it rather than just throw it out the window.

I shared this on the twitter thread, so apologies for the double-post, but it made me laugh a lot, and it might have been better to put it in here anyway.

That wedding was awful paint by numbers shit, one thing AEW has done well is convince The Cult of Khan (prowresltingtees will have that printed by the time I post this) that he's a creative genius because I've seen this get praised elsewhere and "better than any WWE wedding" can't tell if they're being ironic or not.

Miro is a dud, I get the long-term booking and can't slot someone in but they had from April-Sept to come up with something for him to do, and another wedding angle was the best thing they could come up with?

• Paid Members

How many more weeks are we going to get Sting coming out and talking about Darby and Team Taz? It's that boring now that I had completely forgotten it happened until i just saw mention to it on a YouTube video. 

I really enjoyed the Tag Battle Royal, Jericho and MJF were the right choice, which following MJF wanting the conversation with the Inner Circle after Jericho chased Sammy, hopefully means they are finally pulling the trigger. Surely Sammy and MJF are in cahoots with Sammy drawing Jericho away so MJF could talk to them.

I don't watch or have much knowledge of NJPW so the arrival of KENTA didn't really land for me. All I know of him is the boring performances he put in as Hideo Itami in NXT.

Archer is great, I really like him and hope him getting mixed up with Moxley will now mean a renewed push for him. Only thing is, his face just doesn't seem like a killer monster, he looks like he would be such a nice chap outside of wrestling. 

6 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Only thing is, his face just doesn't seem like a killer monster, he looks like he would be such a nice chap outside of wrestling. 

Agreed, he looks like the type of bloke you spot in a bar and think 'oh fuck bet he is mental' until you spot him later putting some drunk lad he doesn't know into a taxi and then giving his munchies to a homeless person. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I don't watch or have much knowledge of NJPW so the arrival of KENTA didn't really land for me. All I know of him is the boring performances he put in as Hideo Itami in NXT.

He's been a magnificent upper-card dickhead in NJPW. At last year's Wrestle Kingdom, Naito had finally won the heavyweight championship - long after he should have done, but it was still the culmination of many years of story-telling. Naito winning was THE feel-good moment that they'd put off for years. And then KENTA sneak attacked him and posed like a dickhead on him to finish the show.

Kenta.thumb.jpg.d4dc7e4a08fadfd2d72879253fd68ba8.jpg

He's generally a sulky, miserable douche who feels he should be handed everything on a platter. But he's also portrayed as good enough that he pretty much justifies any title shots he gets. His matches aren't always great, but they're solidly really good.

I'm really excited for more Moxley/KENTA. I think the two of them could work really well. In the long run, I'd love a KENTA/Omega match.

Yeah, don’t let his NXT run be the lasting memory of him. That’s not entirely his fault, but him leaving WWE was the best thing for him and for his health if nothing else, one year previous to the photo above he worked the Royal Rumble Pre-show and looked a right mess.

As Chris B said, his matches aren't always fantastic, but certainly better than what he was doing before

20 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

KENTA has been fantastic since leaving NXT and really grown into his role, so they're working with him at the right time for sure. Might not bring in any casual viewers who only know him from NXT but that's probably not the point anyway.

I've only ever seen him as Hideo Itami, so his appearance at the end didn't have much of an impact on me. 

I'm finding it a little bit difficult to feel any form of investment in the non-AEW wrestlers - The Good Brothers, Thunder Rosa (assuming she isn't contracted) and now Kenta. 

And I say that as someone who really likes Thunder Rosa. 

For me, I think, it's the fact that there's less of a scope for a long-term journey - I don't know how "temporary" these wrestlers are, so I don't know how much I should invest in them. They effectively feel like guest performers, although I guess there's every chance they'll stick around for some time. 

I hope they at least make an effort to establish KENTA's personality. They have a bad habit of assuming knowledge, and this is one situation where haven't actually done the background reading. 

• Paid Members

I like that they feel like guest characters. Knowing there's a revolving door for outside talent feels like it'll keep things fresh. 

Always found Good Brothers a bit boring but actually enjoying them so far as heavies for Omega and they've already had 2 good matches. Happy for them to hang around with Kenny for the next few months but once this story is over they should be out the door.

The wedding aside, another great episode, that 6 man tag was brilliant, loved every second of it. Push Rey Fenix to the moon. 

Kenta has kicked down the forbidden door, and it has made me go into super mark booker mode. Love it. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I like that they feel like guest characters. Knowing there's a revolving door for outside talent feels like it'll keep things fresh. 

That's the other thing - between randoms showing up on Dark and in Battle Royals, NWA talent turning up in the women's division, and now Impact wrestlers showing up before KENTA, AEW have been purposefully constructing an environment where a wrestler's career and achievements outside of AEW matter. What that means is that someone can show up and immediately be a major player, but don't have to outstay their welcome. It feels almost like a territories system, where a guy like Brody or Abdullah could come in for one or two programmes and then move on before they got stale. It's a welcome change to Dolph Ziggler staying in the same spot for 15 years.

The Sting/Allin stuff is crap and the wedding was terrible, but I enjoyed the rest.

The wedding wasn’t just shit, it thought it was clever. That made it worst. The way it was shot, you barely saw the big present anyway so I was just waiting for the cake spot. Miro is shit, they kept using the word ‘kayfabe’. Fuck off. You’re not better than wrestling, and if you’re going to make out you are you better do something blistering. It’d have been better if they’d just had a regular wrestling wedding with Cassidy coming out the cake when asked if anyone had any objections.

Rey Fenix is fucking astonishing.