The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Moderators

I've not watched AEW in ages so I've put it on ITV player but it started with my beloved Eddie Kingston doing gang signs and wearing a shit load of jewelery and pulling faces and not talking and he's taken off a thsirt to show a gut in a singlet. 

Bring back NWA and put him back there. When he'd die for a man and cry for a man. I love Eddie Kingston to shit, but if you aren't over 6'4" and wearing a moustache you cannot wear that body. 

Also, Lance Hoyt was big in Japan, wasn't he? 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Kingston's been fucking phenomenal in AEW so far. Done some really great work - him not doing promo work is a rarity. He actually looks in slightly better shape at the moment than he did a little while ago - he was wearing much worse gear a couple of months back. Proper Chris Hero stuff. But he's been so good, it hasn't mattered.

Lance Archer in Japan - he wasn't generally a big deal, then it all seemed to click in his last six months or a year, and he kept improving. Again, he's done some good stuff, but they've been struggling to place him a little recently. With the build-up, Archer/Kingston was quite a bit of fun, but if you were coming to it cold, I can imagine it'd be more of a miss.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

When Eddie Kingston was in NWA everyone on here was complaining that he was a bad fit for it. 

I still maintain he was. He's a great promo, but it really did jar with the rest of the NWA feel.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I still maintain he was. He's a great promo, but it really did jar with the rest of the NWA feel.

I completely agree. When you compare him to the likes of The Question Mark, Arron Stevens, Zicky Dice and even Tim Storm he just felt like a fish out of water. NWA had a wholesome and campy feel to it, words that certainly don't apply to Eddie Kingston. 

He's perfect for AEW, though and is one of the most consistent performers for that company.

Everyone keeps saying how funny The Good Brothers are outside of the ring but I'm just not seeing it, proper fuck off heat. 

Reminds me of people creaming themselves over Riddle when I always thought he was nothing but an obnoxious cunt. 

As for Archer, he's the biggest victim of Super Cody imo. He's never quite recovered from that loss. 

His Dark squash run and beating up random scrubs was fun.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Everyone keeps saying how funny The Good Brothers are outside of the ring but I'm just not seeing it, proper fuck off heat. 

Like with so many things - when you're not expecting it, it's awesome and hilarious. When you go in thinking these are two generic, nondescript guys, and they're actually pretty funny, it's a lovely bonus and endearing.

But if you're told it's funny and you go in with those expectations, and it then doesn't meet them, it's shite.

On top of that, once they start thinking it's funny and start playing on the schtick, it becomes rapidly less funny. Right now, I'd rather they were actually just a bit more serious and imposing.

• Paid Members

I’m super late catching up but Jungle Boy vs. Dax was fucking brilliant. Absolutely belting match with a great post-match angle. FTR vs. Jungle Express might be my favourite feud in the company now. Yet more evidence of what a gem they’ve got with Jungle Boy, too. The day is going to come where he lifts up the AEW World Title and tens of thousands of fans are gonna be singing along with his song. I can’t wait.

29 minutes ago, Chris B said:

On top of that, once they start thinking it's funny and start playing on the schtick, it becomes rapidly less funny. Right now, I'd rather they were actually just a bit more serious and imposing.

Definitely agree with this. 

I didn't mind them in New Japan though and thought that they were a good fit in Bullet Club.

Saying that though, I just remembered that I did enjoy them on South Paw Regional Wrestling.

Best episode in ages this week. Dax vs Jungle Boy was a MOTY and hit all my southern soft spots. They've been dropping the ball on a few of these guys but the matches and post-match angles of Dax/Jungle Boy and Archer/Kingston really got me reinvested in what they're doing. 

Moxley is ace every week. Love his new gimmick where he's trying to get his head around AEW's convoluted booking. Omega's vertical sell of the Paradigm Shift, with the shaky leg and socks out, was fucking genius. The sight of his body flat on the mat was hilarious and ended the brawl on an exhilarating peak. 

Cody must have lost the plot when he got the neck tattoo. Almost everything since then has been a bit of a shambles. Half baked ideas and teases that don't really go anywhere and Cody being an unself-aware mark. I still hate that fucking stip. Sure, they could find an effective way to write out of it, but what's it worth? Ever since punting himself out of the world title picture Cody's suffered and the show hasn't been the same.  

Still, this was his best segment in months. Cody himself was lame, but it was a pleasure seeing Arn Anderson speak, uninterrupted, for what has to be the first time in about two decades. Red Velvets promo was good too although JR was a cunt about it.  

It was a short thing, but the MJF/Sammy interaction was my favourite thing on the show. They're electric together. Really got me hard for the future.

Looking forward to the Sting street fight. The build is SUPER LAME but I can understand it to an extent. When you got an old man that can't bump against a faction you don't want to weaken, gotta put some invisible walls between them.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

The Waiting Room segment on Dark this week is gold. Insane sexual chemistry between Ricky Starks and Britt Baker and an extremely jealous Tony Schiavone. 

I really hope they go down a Baker/Starks relationship route based on this one segment alone. Skits with Ricky trying to pull Britt while protective dad Tony tries to cockblock him sound amazing.