The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The point I was tried to make is that his current gimmick screams heel. 

Fair enough, my mistake. Still not convinced saying a character is going to renege on stipulations and edit clips to not show vulnerability was the clearest of points though.

• Paid Members

Cody is great when he has a story he can get his teeth into, mediocre when he doesn't, and he's shown little propensity for allowing any of those stories to survive beyond one or at most two matches.

Even when he was known as Mr. 3 1/2 Stars, it was because he was a consistent safe pair of hands - and sometimes that's better than being capable of greatness but equally capable of being reckless, dangerous or just shitting the bed.

There's not many others on the roster I would trust to carry a celebrity match, and Cody doing it keeps it high profile while not muddying the main event waters. It sucks at the moment, though, because he's largely trying to carry a feud with Shaq without Shaq being there and with no clear picture of his motivation.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed this week's show. Good promos and matches throughout. I've been humming Tarzan Boy all damn week.

It's incredible what a star Moxley has become over the last year. It'd remind me of Austin in his prime, but I tended to find Austin's character to be a bit of a prick, and I find Moxley's really likeable. 

I'm really liking how AEW builds people. Looking forward to the wedding storyline being over, because it does feel like Miro is about to start changing minds. The 'Young Boy/Butler' thing, I seem to like more than anyone else. Miro's gleeful, nasty grins are hilarious.

The worst bit is the Cody/Shaq thing, on a few levels, although I get why it's happening. It's about TNT, it's about showing AEW is good for raising awareness of things - that's only good for the product. For international viewers, I think Shaq is a bit of a 'so what?'. Jade Cargill looks amazing, but appears to be green as hell. She certainly is with promos and carrying herself - she might have some decent showing in-ring though.

It feels a bit weird subbing Red Velvet in for Brandi though. It's not her fault - she's pretty good and a definite step-up on Brandi in-ring. And they need a mixed-gender tag team to go up against Shaq and Cargill, so they need someone to fill in and they're low on women wrestlers who have had any interaction with Cody. I get how and why it's happened, and it's probably the best call all around. But the visual of her suddenly teaming with Cody feels a little like when Bubba Ray subbed in R-Truth for D-Von. So, overall, I'm looking forward to that feud being over and everyone moving on. If Red Velvet gets a leg up because of it, that'll be a decent outcome.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

Cody is the worst thing on the show and has been since he lost the tnt title. But it's definitely true that that's because hes been in some absolute tosh, story wise. Although I guess the response would be "who's fault is that?"The stip from his Jericho feud was a terrible idea and has worked out to be exactly the problem everyone thought it would be, because its keeping him away from the top of the card. Maybe its because hes trying to be more of a crossover star, I dunno.

He IS a star,  but he does also come across as massively self important: his entrance is as over the top as Omega's heel entrance and in his recent promos he is so unlikable. This is amazing considering his work when he had a strong heel.

Best thing he could do right now would be a tag team run with Dustin. I repeat  Dustin. Bot QT Marshall, not his wife, not Pharaoh. Dustin. I think they're already doing the one last run with Dustin, would give them both some direction and the ftr match would be great

• Paid Members

That stip about not challenging for the world title isn't the reason. It's not even a curse. You can only have one Champion and only one program at a time for the belt. If you don't want to play hot potato with the belt then guys have to lose and you've got to have reasons to keep guys out of the picture. That stip means they're not constantly thinking of ways for Cody to be away from it and he doesn't have to lose.

The TNT title was a good use of him but they've rightly moved on from that. They clearly want to do something with Shaq while they have the chance which isn't the worst idea but it's not really working. They might as well finish it now but there's better stuff they could be doing. He could be working Moxley to keep him away from the title, Miro is gonna need a program after this best man stuff, he'd work well with Archer, Pac is back. There's no real excuse for not putting him in programs that create PPV main event matches.

Cody just feels hamstrung by a lot of different things that he has no proper focus, and we know that’s where his strengths lie. There’s no emotional attachment to a Shaq feud, it’s started poorly through a wooden stand in and has no feel it’ll get better. It’s good he has his outside endeavours, but all his more recent chat re quitting at 40, he doesn’t seem to me as someone who’s heart is fully in aew just now.
They all said at the start that omega, bucks and Cody all worked as they had different views on wrestling. Maybe his distancing from those views into his collection of yes men is hampering his focus 

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

the worst bit is the Cody/Shaq thing, on a few levels, although I get why it's happening. It's about TNT, it's about showing AEW is good for raising awareness of things - that's only good for the product. For international viewers, I think Shaq is a bit of a 'so what?'. Jade Cargill looks amazing, but appears to be green as hell. She certainly is with promos and carrying herself - she might have some decent showing in-ring though.

It feels a bit weird subbing Red Velvet in for Brandi though. It's not her fault - she's pretty good and a definite step-up on Brandi in-ring. And they need a mixed-gender tag team to go up against Shaq and Cargill, so they need someone to fill in and they're low on women wrestlers who have had any interaction with Cody. I get how and why it's happened, and it's probably the best call all around. But the visual of her suddenly teaming with Cody feels a little like when Bubba Ray subbed in R-Truth for D-Von. So, overall, I'm looking forward to that feud being over and everyone moving on. If Red Velvet gets a leg up because of it, that'll be a decent outcome.

I don’t understand why they’ve gone with the mixed tag route at all. I don’t understand why Shaq hates Cody, and having Shaq in what appears to be a heel role is an odd choice.

Having Cody team with Shaq seems far more logical. Maybe you have The Acclaimed reference Shaq in a rap, he responds on social media, they draw attention to that on social media, The Acclaimed respond again and it builds from there.

Or maybe you could use Team Taz - Cody/Darby/Sting/Shaq vs Cage/Starks/Hobbs and perhaps Hook.

I can’t really see much upside to the path they’ve chosen, or even to what was presumably the original idea, Cody and Brandi teaming up.

46 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I can’t really see much upside to the path they’ve chosen, or even to what was presumably the original idea, Cody and Brandi teaming up.

I think the initial plan would be for Cody and Brandi to do all the media they are hoping Shaq's involvement will garner, which makes sense and that is absolutely Brandi's best use in AEW. I'm guessing that by keeping it as a mixed tag with Red Velvet replacing Brandi means that Brandi can still do the media and no doubt also tie in her pregnancy and try for some attention that way too. 

The only thing they are missing is a story as to why this match is taking place... Hopefully they smooth that out before they do the press tour. 

• Paid Members

Ziggler's brother gets that video package and then is "currently in the ring" for his match? There's  a mark of quality.

Red Velvet strikes me as "we need somebody who looks a bit like Brandi while she's on maternity" in the way she's just been shoved into the Cody/Shaw/Cargill thing.

• Paid Members

That women's match was dire. At one point Rebel is distracting Shanna, and Britt Baker gets out of the ring in front of both of them but shanna just stands there and lets her attac from behind. Where does she think she's going? Why would you let that happen? Surely what you do is turn around to keep your attention on Britt and have Rebel attack instead? Or just forget the spot and go to something else. I liked her Dragonball inspired attaire, though, and she has some solid wrestling moves. That's sloppy for a 15 yar veteran though, if Excalibur is to be believed.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Ziggler's brother gets that video package and then is "currently in the ring" for his match? There's  a mark of quality.

They do all sorts of videos on social media. It's no mark of how much they value people, it's just fleshing out and introducing people without filling their TV with it.

I didn't think he was that bad. Certainly a much better wrestler than he is a promo. But being soundly beaten by a top guy is his level.