The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

It was, however, refreshing for JR to not refer to Penelope Ford as a J-word at any point. Highly irregular for a female heel to escape that treatment for once. I also think the "What is love?" part was unscripted and a deliberate mock that Miro just went with.

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Enjoyed Jake Roberts pissing himself laughing when he took someone out.

He’s definitely put on some Timber since the peak of his friendship with DDP, but still great to see Jake mobile and having fun.

I thought it was a DDT at first but he just fell over Angelico after the clothesline.

They've started to nail these battle royals recently. Went from being embarrassing train wrecks to most exciting battle royals I can remember seeing. They're now hitting all the big spots and telling multiple stories without everything descending into a massive clusterfuck. Camerawork was off though.

Talking of improvement, Britt Baker's unrecognisable from the girl that completely froze up on commentary a couple of years ago. Her matches used to be death, full of bad Adam Cole indie wrestling and shitty movez for the sake of it. Now they couldn't make her champion soon enough. A massive credit to AEW's talent development.

Another cracking main event. Pissed they cut off Don's promo. This Kenny Omega character is good and they should make time to explore it more. There's a danger of him dropping into the background slightly with all the interpromotional stuff.

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I hope they at least make an effort to establish KENTA's personality. They have a bad habit of assuming knowledge, and this is one situation where haven't actually done the background reading. 

This is a regular bugbear for me. There's always a point where it feels like I'm missing something and I should be watching 'shoulder content' to get it.

This week it was, "who the hell is the fat bloke interrupting the lumberjack match and doing table spots?"

and

"Why are SCU not in the battle royal and what happened to their storyline?" 

Because enough things have been dropped or glazed over that I'm questioning it rather than letting it play out.

Even with the wedding angle, which is shit regardless, why would I care? They did nothing to establish Kip and Penelope as characters, stuck Boring Miro with them and expect me to care.

Honestly, the Inner Circle storyline is the only thing going on that I can sink my teeth into. Everything else is like slinging shit at the wall.

And it's more a bloated roster issue than a bad writing one. They keep things fresh by cycling guys in and out. But as a result there's consistency issues and shoddy pacing and storytelling. They've yet to find their groove. I'm looking forward to them introducing their second show to see how things settle.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm not fully aware of whats happening outside of AEW and a bit of WWE, so what's this about?

ROH/NJPW had a working (exclusive, I believe) relationship for ages. They part-own All In, for example. For a while now, they've been one of the blockers between AEW and NJPW working together - the other being NJPW being pissed off by how Omega/Bucks used NJPW and Wrestle Kingdom to announce AEW, and they felt misled/taken advantage of.

It appears that some of the bad feeling has run out - if AEW and NJPW have more of a working relationship, that's going to freeze out ROH.

26 minutes ago, Chris B said:

ROH/NJPW had a working (exclusive, I believe) relationship for ages. They part-own All In, for example. For a while now, they've been one of the blockers between AEW and NJPW working together - the other being NJPW being pissed off by how Omega/Bucks used NJPW and Wrestle Kingdom to announce AEW, and they felt misled/taken advantage of.

It appears that some of the bad feeling has run out - if AEW and NJPW have more of a working relationship, that's going to freeze out ROH.

Why is it going to freeze out ROH? AEW is working with many different promotions now. NJ are working with multiple promotions. Now ROH can work with multiple promotions too.

15 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Not freeze out in that way. In terms of losing a unique US offering. AEW working with NJPW is exciting. ROH doing it isn't. Although also, if AEW and NJPW do more together, what use is ROH to NJPW?

NJPW still seem to like that meat and potatoes catch style of wrestler that ROH have always had a solid spine of and that AEW seem to have no interest in. The bigger problem for ROH isn't the AEW relationship as much as it is New Japan Strong, cos now New Japan are signing those types of guys themselves. 

Battle Royal was a belter. It'll be interesting to see how the resulting match between Jericho/MJF & The Bucks works out. Can the Bucks tone it down for Jericho or is he going to try and keep up with them. John Silver still reminds me of Rocket off Soccer AM. The singing of Jungle Boy's music during matches will become tiresome very quickly - bit like Schiavone doing the "it's Stiiiiiiing" which has already lost it's appeal. It no longer feels genuine but forced.

And speaking of Sting, another pointless showing of him, Darby and Team Taz. 

Britt Baker/Thunder Rosa was alright.

Hardy/Hangman against Chaos Project was alright. I'm still going for a Bullet Club v Hardy/Page/Private Party match somewhere down the line, especially as they reminded us that Private Party and the Good Brothers are squaring off against each other for the Impact Tag Titles.

The wedding was shit but wrestling weddings normally are. When James Mitchell was officiating it, I was expecting Abyss to be inside the cake to eventually end the whole Miro/Kip/Best Friends feud. On the plus side Penelope looked fucking gorgeous.

Did the Shaq bit actually air on TNT during the basketball? Ernie and Kenny pissing themselves at his moves and references to "cupcake" Cody was the highlight of the whole segment. At least there's now some reason to the match, even if nobody still wants to see it happen. They also tried giving us some insight into Jade during the show with her workout routine.

Archer and Kingston was a belter. Agree with what's been said regarding Kingston needing a win. I know he's that good on the mic that he can pick up his next feud and make us interested in him again but he does need to start winning. Also who the fuck were that fat bastard team who got involved? 

Main event was a cracker. Rey Fenix is gonna kill himself one of these days. Moxley and Omega are the best two things in AEW. Kenta's arrival gives Moxley something else to keep him busy, while Kenny takes on Archer, PAC and others.

Much more enjoyable than the last couple of weeks.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

NJPW still seem to like that meat and potatoes catch style of wrestler that ROH have always had a solid spine of and that AEW seem to have no interest in. The bigger problem for ROH isn't the AEW relationship as much as it is New Japan Strong, cos now New Japan are signing those types of guys themselves. 

I have to say this isn't the RoH I remember seeing - I remember them as being the essence of indyriffic high-spot-monkey style, and some of that has jumped over to AEW. If they have it now, fair enough, but they definitely did not have it in their earlier years.

• Paid Members

Who would want to work with ROH? And why?! So you can do a show together in Madison Square Garden where they absolutely shit the bed, bringing in dickheads like Enzo and Cas? It’s been a matter of time ever since ROH bombed that show that New Japan would fuck them off. I’m surprised it took this long.